1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Carmaggedon (in Los Angeles)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by A Y, Jul 10, 2011.

1. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

So are all of you westsiders just staying home next weekend?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I need to be downtown on Sunday (from Santa Barbara), and hope the traffic won't be horrific.

--Andre

2. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

Good. I hope you all you westsiders suffer in your smugness [​IMG].

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

haha. I get into LA on Monday next week, staying around LAX, miss this by a hair.

4. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

This will be absolutely catastrophic.

5. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me, but maybe it'll end up being less painful than feared. I liked that bridge, though. It was a good shortcut for taking canyon roads when the 405 was jammed.

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

This would be my expectation.

7. tj100

tj100 Well-Known Member

I think they've done a pretty good job of scaring everybody off the roads. My guess is that it's not nearly as bad as the hype.

8. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Nope. Going to Cabo for the weekend.

[​IMG]

9. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

The apocalyptic language is fun. Also, there is a lane on Wilshire Blvd near my work, in one of the most dense traffic areas near the 405, which is blocked by a sign warning about the coming traffic that weekend. Watching the bottleneck as people try to get around that sign the past few weeks is like some kind of metaphor.

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I would not venture outside for anything on that weekend. Of course, "normal" LA traffic makes me suicidal/homicidal already so I am not sure what woudl change, if anything.

11. mordecai

I'm going to see the Monkees with my mother at the Greek. I could probably get there by walking if I was feeling intrepid, but she has to make it from the SF Valley somehow.

12. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I need to be at the Music Center at 2 on Sunday. I'll have to see what Saturday traffic (traditionally much worse than Sunday) is like to plan my route. Usually, it's 101 all the way down, but an alternate route may be 101->118->210->110. All to see a comedic ballet set on a Soviet collectivist farm. [​IMG]

--Andre

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I'm going to see the Monkees with my mother at the Greek. I could probably get there by walking if I was feeling intrepid, but she has to make it from the SF Valley somehow.

file this under "sentence one never expects to read and could not come up with if tossing words randomly in a salad bowl."

14. mordecai

[​IMG] She was a fan letter-writing adolescent in the 60s and I am a decent son.
    I need to be at the Music Center at 2 on Sunday. I'll have to see what Saturday traffic (traditionally much worse than Sunday) is like to plan my route. Usually, it's 101 all the way down, but an alternate route may be 101->118->210->110. All to see a comedic ballet set on a Soviet collectivist farm. [​IMG] --Andre
    That actually sounds kind of great. Orange line to red line perhaps?

15. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

The Metro is definitely a possibility.

BTW, Carmageddon is creating teh jobs:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/11/c...s-others-taki/

SiriusXM will have a dedicated channel for that weekend, some theater is giving away free popcorn, and someone is giving away their commuting music for free.

--Andre

16. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

That actually sounds kind of great. Orange line to red line perhaps?

It turns out this may actually be really good. There's an orange line stop in Woodland Hills near a hotel, so there should be plenty of parking, and the red line stops very near the Music Center. All in all, it's about a 90-minute ride, and it's $3 for a one-way ticket. Even if there weren't Carmageddon, I'm still tempted to try this just for the heck of it.

--Andre

17. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

I need to be at the Music Center at 2 on Sunday. I'll have to see what Saturday traffic (traditionally much worse than Sunday) is like to plan my route. Usually, it's 101 all the way down, but an alternate route may be 101->118->210->110. All to see a comedic ballet set on a Soviet collectivist farm. [​IMG]

--Andre

FYI, the 210 and 110 don't connect. You would take the 210 east to the 2 south. When the 2 dead ends into Glendale Blvd, you would take Glendale south to Temple, then take Temple over to the Music Center.

The 210 will probably be fine through the weekend and the 2 will definitely be fine. It's the 118->210 segment that might kill you.

18. mordecai

It turns out this may actually be really good. There's an orange line stop in Woodland Hills near a hotel, so there should be plenty of parking, and the red line stops very near the Music Center. All in all, it's about a 90-minute ride, and it's $3 for a one-way ticket. Even if there weren't Carmageddon, I'm still tempted to try this just for the heck of it.

--Andre

Orange line is a busway, so it is open air and actually scenic at points. The system may be crowded that weekend but if you're starting at the beginning of the line in woodland hills you can probably just grab a seat and be comfortable.

19. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Thanks. I figured on the 2, or maybe even going through Pasadena to get to the 110. BTW, I just found out the Metro rail lines are free for Carmegeddon weekend. --Andre edit: oops, original posting was for retro. A friend who lives near Calabasas took orange->red->silver to attend his sister-in-law's graduation at USC. He highly recommended it.

20. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

I'm going to Orange County Friday... hope the 605-->405 won't be too killer?

FYI, the 210 and 110 don't connect. You would take the 210 east to the 2 south. When the 2 dead ends into Glendale Blvd, you would take Glendale south to Temple, then take Temple over to the Music Center.

The 210 will probably be fine through the weekend and the 2 will definitely be fine. It's the 118->210 segment that might kill you.

No, but the 210 exits VERY close to 110. Like a 2 block drive close.