• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is the same stool as the one originally proposed in the layout. The one I picked is just the limited-edition Tamura version, with etched in tree rings.

So it is. Neat. I am not sure if I like the tree ring version, but only because of the rendering in the photo- it may be great in person. I find it very useful for a thousand things. It seems so perfect as an object that it makes you wonder why there are any other designs.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We would be all over the Artek stools if the best-looking versions (classic colored laminate top over natural legs) complemented our other things. I'll have to think about it more.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
what's with all of the "oh, that is't very child friendly" bullshit?? This is one step below bachelor pad. Add a "sweet stereo system" and you might be there.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Foo, why not Noguchi? Seems like a less knee-knocking shape and size for your space.

BTW, these seem not terrible for area with heavy kid use.

http://www.dwr.com/product/herman-m...re-base-table.do?sortby=ourPicks#.UVRgJY6hDzI

I don't think the roundness of the Noguchi suits the Florence Knoll.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone thinks the current coffee table is too big for the space. Our current table is roughly the same size (longer, but narrower) and spaced similarly. As diagrammed, there is more than enough space between the sofa and the Nebula (at least 1.5 feet), and the TV is even further away. In fact, the living room space is large enough such that the lounge chair demands its own side table, as it is simply too far from the Nebula.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

We would be all over the Artek stools if the best-looking versions (classic colored laminate top over natural legs) complemented our other things. I'll have to think about it more.
You might want to see which colors the MoMa store has in stock. They do their own special editions also. Ours is a kind of electric/royal blue and I recall that, at the time, they had also done a red, a yellow and a black variant. No idea what they have now, but it might be something you like. You can also toss it in a closet when you don't need it. Since it is so "open" it doesn't really take up much more space than it's actual mass occupies (we do that with Alto "ant" chairs).

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am back and forth on the rug. We either want a black-and-white pattern or a heathered grey shag. The latter is not possible for a cheap price unless we go the flokati route, which sounds highly troublesome.

You should take a look at, gasp, Crate and Barrel for this shag:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/memphis-steel-rug/f29332
It may be a little too dark, but it's kind of a heathered charcoal. We have it in a different color in our son's room. It's quite comfortable and does not shed at all.

We have this in grey in our living room:
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/pro...oom&category=rm_rugs&subcategory=fl_rugs_wool
It's a more heathered grey shag and is better quaility than the Crate and Barrel one. However, it's more expensive and sheds like crazy.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You might want to see which colors the MoMa store has in stock. They do their own special editions also. Ours is a kind of electric/royal blue and I recall that, at the time, they had also done a red, a yellow and a black variant. No idea what they have now, but it might be something you like. You can also toss it in a closet when you don't need it. Since it is so "open" it doesn't really take up much more space than it's actual mass occupies (we do that with Alto "ant" chairs).

Yes, the stool beckons. The usefulness and elegance of design are really hard to beat.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You should take a look at, gasp, Crate and Barrel for this shag:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/memphis-steel-rug/f29332
It may be a little too dark, but it's kind of a heathered charcoal. We have it in a different color in our son's room. It's quite comfortable and does not shed at all.

We have this in grey in our living room:
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/pro...oom&category=rm_rugs&subcategory=fl_rugs_wool
It's a more heathered grey shag and is better quaility than the Crate and Barrel one. However, it's more expensive and sheds like crazy.

Are shag rugs like that less trouble than a flokati?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are shag rugs like that less trouble than a flokati?

I've never owned a Flokati, so I can't comment on the trouble with it. I own both of these and have not had any troublesome issues. As I mentioned, the R&B rug sheds a lot, which means more vacuuming. The C&B never sheds. Not anything. I believe this is because the R&B is natural fibers, and the C&B is synthetic. I use this Dyson. It works great on shag rugs, and I also think it's wonderful for small living spaces, in general. We don't really remove our shoes in the house and walk all over the rugs. Even with a fairly light color, the rugs never looks dirty. Vacuuming is simple, as long as you have the right type of vacuum. The shag doesn't seem to gather extra dirt or anything.

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The R&B rug comes in a low and a high shag, as well as a low and a high loop. There are also a ton of colors, including several shades of grey. There are a ton of options and configurations, which is nice. The sizing is a little weird, because it's not standard. It worked for our space, though. The C&B rug only comes in two colors: dark grey and stone. The colors have some nice variegation, but not as nice as the R&B. Despite the higher quality, use of natural materials, and the bigger selection of the R&B rugs, I still would recommend the C&B rug over the R&B rug. Read the reviews of the C&B rug. People love that thing. We spend a lot of time on the floor on it, because my boy is a toddler. It's really soft, and the lack of shedding is just pleasant.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics