• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

Thanks for the input, guys. Will read through more closely later.

One thing worth pointing out: it's just a computer-drawn layout. Of course, the actual space will show use and reflect day-to-day living. I didn't think it was necessary to draw in all of our personal affects and objects. The books and throw are there because when I first did the layout, I realized it looked way to sparse to judge. Adding our blanket and coffee table books shows more realistically what the color palette of the room will be like. Anyway, my main concern is getting the furniture positioned and scaled properly. Secondarily, I want to make sure the colors, patterns, and textures harmonize. They will all be much more subtle in real life, of course.

Before StephenHero arrived on the scene, I didn't think it was necessary to explain that we don't intend to live in a two-dimensional pixelated apartment where nothing will ever be used, moved, added to, or otherwise lived in. But there it is.

The stool strikes me as stupid now. Maybe we'll do a simple Eames wire base side table. Saves money to boot.

the image of you painstakingly photoshopping coffee table books into your room layout in hopes of adding character to a two-dimensional floorplan is one of the saddest things i can imagine.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

the image of you painstakingly photoshopping coffee table books into your room layout in hopes of adding character to a two-dimensional floorplan is one of the saddest things i can imagine.

Of the little ***** that can't stay away from me, you are arguably the most useless as a human being. That is a high bar you've cleared.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

Of the little ***** that can't stay away from me, you are arguably the most useless as a human being. That is a high bar you've cleared.

don't be sad that your soulless collection of overpriced furniture didn't elicit the response you wanted :( I offered you real feedback on the first page of this thread, but you opted o dive headfirst into a pissing contest with SH, showing that you wanted validation not advice.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love this. Nothing more heartwarming to see a bunch of men get catty over a photoshop rendering of how someone would like to decorate his apartment.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apparently, I didn't do enough "honest living" in the Photoshop rendering of my hypothetical living room.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Cappellini chair is cool but it feels much more like a desk chair than a lounge chair. Just not the kind of chair I would want to relax in. I understand you are a Cappellini fan boi and that this comment will not be well received.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

That Cappellini chair is cool but it feels much more like a desk chair than a lounge chair. Just not the kind of chair I would want to relax in. I understand you are a Cappellini fan boi and that this comment will not be well received.

i'm the Cappellini fan boi, and I agree with you.

my general preference is for the lo-pad. In bright green.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not a Cappellini fan boi at all. Maybe you have me confused for the other Matt. In fact, nothing we have is Cappellini. The chair is much more lounge-like in person, given the low height. Also, in tan leather, it will be harder to confuse for an office chair.

The Low Pad is okay. To the extent the Lotus looks like an office chair, the Low Pad is too easily confused for chic lawn furniture.

4973.jpg

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that you have been properly beaten into submission I will offer my thoughts. I have no intention of defending, qualifying or clarifying any of them, if you feel they are contrived or unhelpful that is fine.

Your place consists of white walls and a blonde wood floor, you already have a cream sofa. You are dedicated to a lighter color palate and should continue sticking to it with a few exceptions. I never fear having a piece of black furniture in a room like that, and it helps avoid the cream on cream on cream architectural digest look.

Start with the room itself, not the furniture. In an apartment, where you can do very little to the room itself, this means drapes, bookcases, wall/ceiling lamps. Grand drapes are better than cheap, and nice floor to ceiling drapes should look fantastic around d the doors that lead to the outside patio. In a 'modern' setting these are often white linen hung about 1" above the floor, no need to deviate.

Your floor in blonde wood, buy a lightly colored Persian rug without a central medallion. They offer a heavy pattern which serves as a bit of interest In a room like this, and if you buy an old one with some mileage on it, will help avoid the catalog look.

The sofa is giant for a room like this in length, no need to add to it with ridiculous lights that should be a much much much larger room. The color and texture are not ideal, but they will work.

Add an armchair of the same make, please change the color, light tan leather would be perfect. Use the money dedicated to that stupid Tom Dixon lamp to buy the chair instead.

Add a simple side table, do not add a rectangular coffee table, instead add a small square or round one for drinks, filling up the room with tables is not needed, they block the sofa from easy access and provide no additional use that cannot be accomplished with a smaller table. Table should be wood, add a depth to this plastic fantastic dream of yours.

Simple, downward pointing lamp is enough to light this room to a level that is comfortable for TV and for guests. People generally look better in lower lighting, especially older people, and it helps people to relax.

Add worthwhile artwork, books. Gilded frames would be better than modern frames in this instance, IMO.

Also, please, no point by point rebuttal. If warranted, a thank you is good, if not that is fine.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

the Low Pad is too easily confused for chic lawn furniture.

lawn furniture doesn't come in leather or wool fabric. Usually one can expect lawn or patio stuff to be wood, or maybe plastic, or maybe even metal (powder coated if necessary). Maybe even metal with a concrete base (/end razzing the Chair One).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lawn furniture doesn't come in leather or wool fabric. Usually one can expect lawn or patio stuff to be wood, or maybe plastic, or maybe even metal (powder coated if necessary). Maybe even metal with a concrete base (/end razzing the Chair One).

I did say chic lawn furniture, didn't I?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, did you consult an interior designer before picking out the pieces?

Do you think they all can co-exist in harmony?

Was Feng Shui factored in?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Add a simple side table, do not add a rectangular coffee table, instead add a small square or round one for drinks, filling up the room with tables is not needed, they block the sofa from easy access and provide no additional use that cannot be accomplished with a smaller table.

I had very similar thoughts when I first saw the rendering. The coffee table takes up a lot of space. It may not look like it in the rendering, but it will when you start walking around that space. With small spaces, you really need to think about function. You will need space to move, and you will need a flat surface to put cups, remotes, magazines, feet, etc. This doesn't really require that much table for two people. I'd much prefer seeing a smaller coffee table with perhaps an additional occasional table next to the sofa. Also, not sure what your family planning includes, but that coffee table and little ones do not go well together. Maybe something to think about, if you are considering the table as a piece you want to use years down the road.

I actually liked the idea of the stool because of its small space functionality. When it's just you and your wife, it serves as a little table for a drink. When you have company, it becomes additional seating that can easily be moved around.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics