• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

Patriot penny loafers: go same as Park Avenue size, size half down, or go full size down?

A few posters have received theirs and I believe they went TTS and ordered same size as Park Avenue. I ordered the same size as my PA's, partially based on their experience, and my discussion with an AE rep that said the new Patriot last is "narrow, like the PA last, but with a roomier toe box". I debated about ordering a half size down to guard against heel slip but went TTS and should receive them next week. Either they will fit or I will have to exchange for a smaller size. If you can wait until then I plan to post some more detailed sizing thoughts as I have AE 1, 5, 8 lasted shoes, BB LHS and Alden Aberdeen slip-ons to compare with.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What last is it on? I'd like a suede PTB, but the catalog photo does not look appealing. Hoping it's just another case of AE's poor photography.

I'm not 100% certain but I think it's a 7-last shoe, same as the MacNeil. The toe is slightly narrower than, say, an Alden Barrie last PTB. In it's day the Jodox was a great looking, hefty reverse-welted shoe. Hopefully AE remains true to the original Jodox with this re-release. If it does, and you like that style, then you'll be pleased.
Also, due to its plain toe and two eyelet styling, the Jodox can "appear" a bit longer than shoes with toe detailing (cap/moc toes) or more eyelets that carry further down the foot. It's similar to a chukka in this regard, and you either like this look or you don't.
One thing I noticed that's apparently changed with the re-release (if I'm reading their catalog correctly: http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/AE_Fall2012_CatalogSupplement.pdf ) is that the Jodox will not be available in "C" widths anymore. AE had traditionally been great about offering a full array of widths to maximize customers' ability to get a perfect fit. But that seems to have changed over the years, such that some models go from B to D width and skip the moderately narrow C offering, which can be a great option for clunkier style shoes like a double-soled goodyear welted LWB or PTB.

It is definitely a 7-last shoe. Don't forget that AE's 4 digit stock code always ends with the number of the last. The numbers for the Jodox in the catalog are 6867, 6817, and 6847 for the different colors/leathers.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

I was hoping for some input from my fellow AE fans. 

I bought the brown Long Branch boot, but then also purchased the Bayfield from Lands End. I also plan on getting the chocolate brown Dalton, but with a Dainite sole (special order from AE). The question is: what to do with the Long Branch? I have 3 options, really. 1. return for refund 2. exchange for the grey colour 3. keep them. I think keeping them is a bit much since I'll then have three brown boots of similar look. Any input?

Definitely return. Use the Dalton as your "dressier" boot and the Bayfield, with its commando sole, as your "rugged" boot. The Long Branch would just be redundant in your lineup. Of course, this assumes that fit is not a factor.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was hoping someone could elighten me on the long-term "plan" for one of the v-tread tap sole shoes. I totally get the idea/value of a shoe with a topy sole on it, and that is essentially all these shoes are with one major exception. The tap sole from AE is stitched on with with the rest of the sole during the welting process whereas a true topy is cemented on. The tap sole will likely wear out towards the center of the sole, exposing the leather underneath, and thus the benefits of the rubber will be gone within a relatively short time period (perhaps a year or so depending on rotation). So the question is, when that thin layer of rubber begins to wear out, do you send the shoes in to AE for a re-craft, or do you have a local cobbler cement on a new topy? In order for a local cobbler to cement on a new topy, they would really need to remove the worn rubber tap sole first. The problem is, this compromises the welt stitching, which may compromise AE's willingness to recraft the shoe. On the flip side, sending the shoe in for a re-craft every time the tap sole develops a hole in it would be cost prohibitive in my opinion, and ultimately decrease the overall life of the shoe. Thoughts?

8bpc

Reaction score
Soliciting feedback from any Neumok owners - how does the Neumok fit compared with the Park Ave (PA)?

Last edited:

g.michael

Reaction score

So I was hoping someone could elighten me on the long-term "plan" for one of the v-tread tap sole shoes.  I totally get the idea/value of a shoe with a topy sole on it, and that is essentially all these shoes are with one major exception.  The tap sole from AE is stitched on with with the rest of the sole during the welting process whereas a true topy is cemented on.  The tap sole will likely wear out towards the center of the sole, exposing the leather underneath, and thus the benefits of the rubber will be gone within a relatively short time period (perhaps a year or so depending on rotation).  So the question is, when that thin layer of rubber begins to wear out, do you send the shoes in to AE for a re-craft, or do you have a local cobbler cement on a new topy?  In order for a local cobbler to cement on a new topy, they would really need to remove the worn rubber tap sole first.  The problem is, this compromises the welt stitching, which may compromise AE's willingness to recraft the shoe.  On the flip side, sending the shoe in for a re-craft every time the tap sole develops a hole in it would be cost prohibitive in my opinion, and ultimately decrease the overall life of the shoe.  Thoughts? 

Believe it or not, the rubber tread is thick enough to actually last longer than its leather counterpart. I wouldn't worry about it and would personally prefer the tap sole on my new Delray's (brown) but it's only available in black.

theinternet

Reaction score
Looks like my previous comment got lost in the shuffle. I am posting it again in the hopes that someone has some advice:

So my replacement Cronmoks have the same issue with the heal separating from the sole that my first pair had. Is anyone else having this issue? I get the feeling the AE store employees are going to hate me when I return for a third time to replace these things. Should I just return them and move on to another model boot? This is very frustrating.

Jigg

Reaction score
Looks like my previous comment got lost in the shuffle. I am posting it again in the hopes that someone has some advice:
So my replacement Cronmoks have the same issue with the heal separating from the sole that my first pair had. Is anyone else having this issue? I get the feeling the AE store employees are going to hate me when I return for a third time to replace these things. Should I just return them and move on to another model boot? This is very frustrating.

That's wild!
I don't have the issue but I've only worn mine once...

violethour1951

Reaction score
They should be understanding about this. Looks like AE's QC is still on the decline...

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I notice that the Dundee will be offered in Dark Brown Cordovan, while the Strand is Brown Cordovan. Is this going to be capuccino shell?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few posters have received theirs and I believe they went TTS and ordered same size as Park Avenue. I ordered the same size as my PA's, partially based on their experience, and my discussion with an AE rep that said the new Patriot last is "narrow, like the PA last, but with a roomier toe box". I debated about ordering a half size down to guard against heel slip but went TTS and should receive them next week. Either they will fit or I will have to exchange for a smaller size. If you can wait until then I plan to post some more detailed sizing thoughts as I have AE 1, 5, 8 lasted shoes, BB LHS and Alden Aberdeen slip-ons to compare with.

Thanks I will certainly wait for you to post your experience so please do. My gut feeling though is I should go a half size down.

jc1234

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Dalton's during the recent AE sale and I love them, but last night when I took the laces out to polish them up a bit, I noticed some leather cutting that seemed sloppy. I'm wondering if the cutting in the photo below on the left boot (outlined in red) would be considered a defect, or just variations from a handmade item? Seeing as they cut these from patterns, I would not expect such a messy cut to be used in a shoe, but maybe my expectations are to high? Thoughts before I email this photo to AE customer service?

Thanks!

Larger image here: [ATTACHMENT=4221]AE_Dalton_Boot_Stitching.jpg (1,111k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

DJTraveler

Reaction score
The Strand, Kenilworth, Larchmont, Flatiron, and Neumora in bourbon calf become available starting tomorrow according to the AE Fall supplement catalog. Not sure if that date will still hold, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new bourbon color looks in the wild! Might just have to get a new pair of Strand's or Larchmont's.

Well, no sign of the new bourbons on AE's website today. Really hope they are released sometime soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads