Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I needed this. As a sartorial noob, reading this thread can make one a bit paranoid and lose his bearings on the reality that clothes are functional items above all else.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

:rotflmao:

Perhaps an angry post; but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

There are some members on this thread that I would never have imagined seeing here. Does that reflect AE being on the rise, people lowering their elite standards on this forum, or the decline of more luxurious shoe makers in general?

Nefar's comment was amazing by they way. This thread can frustrate at times...

4. axedatta

axedatta Member

So i was going to drop of my Walnut Daltons to get some Vibram soles put on for inclement weather. I live in DC so i went to a place called "Best Foot Forward". It had received good enough reviews on yelp and on stylefourm. Upon inquiring whether they are going to undo the Goodyear welting to put the soles on or basically glued on like a Topy, the girl behind the counter goes this is not goodyear welted, companies just put this threading on the sole for "show". I calmly told her i am positive Allen Edmonds does not "glue on" their soles. She basically didn't change her position and i knew i wasn't going to convince her that she was wrong. Anyways, WTF?!?!

5. plei89

plei89 Senior member

She should be fired.

6. gooter

gooter Senior member

find a new store

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I just got my Bourbon Strands in the mail and thought I'd share for those wanting to see how they look in this shade. Also, for my first post, I thought I'd could rub in the fact that I have them before they are even available online. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ordered them back on September 22nd at their Dallas brick and mortar. I was just going to size them for future ordering, but the saleswoman was nice enough to put in the bourbon order early and honor the 15% off Rediscover America price.

I'm very happy with them. Walnut Strands are classic, but it's nice having something a touch different than everyone else... and having the same color on my feet as drink in my glass.

8. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

[Whoops, double posted since the first one got held up for moderation.]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

She must have been hot.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

The real world can be quite cruel to sartorialists.

I once took a pair of Ferragamos to a local (well reviewed) cobbler, due to a squeaky shank issue, only to have them fail 3 times to fix it. I learned two lessons that day: Don't use local cobblers, and don't buy Ferragamos with blake construction... :plain:

11. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I love DC. There are some amazing stores and amazing tailors and amazing people; I've even found an amazing bootmaker up the street in Laurel who I bet could do your soles up just right... but I don't think I'd trust Best Foot Forward if that's the sort of person they have interacting with either customers or footwear. Better to send 'em off to B. Nelson in Manhattan.

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I'm going to be very clear about my position on this. Small defects often have minimal, if any, effect on the longevity of a shoe. The problem I have is that when you are spending $300 - $600 on any product, I would expect the manufacturer to have basic quality control measures and not let items out the door that have obvious defects. If that's a big scratch, crooked stitching, whatever; if it affects how the shoes looks, it's a defect. It's an insult to the customer when they pass off shoes with obvious issues as new. I won't apologize for feeling this way

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Well said. And for me, I've heard the "dead animal skin" excuse one time too many. But that's not to say that we aren't obsessed. At least I know I am.

14. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown shell Strands.

15. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Me too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.