• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aggressive lasts less apparent in suede?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've made the observation, that aggressive lasts like the Vass U last appear to be quite less so in suede.

Take, for instance, a few of von Rothbarts pics from the Sf Gallery.

First, U last Chukka in suede:

P1020874.JPG

Then, U last three-eyelet derbys in calf:

P1030220a.JPG

Does anyone share this observation? I think it's interesting and might even have practical value to me; generally, I'm much more drawn to round lasts, like Vass' F last but I really like the chukkas.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything the suede ones above look narrower, and therefore more aggressive, though thats probably only the angle they were photographed at or something.

Jack2000

Reaction score
No hard reflections on suede, more visual homogeny. Angles don't get highlighted the same way as the do on a polished leather.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
No hard reflections on suede, more visual homogeny. Angles don't get highlighted the same way as the do on a polished leather.

This.

suiturself

Reaction score

Yea, at the top of the vamp is where it's most apparent.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good point. Suede on the U last looks awesome btw.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that was my theory as well.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely find that with the C&J 348. Leather shoes on the 348 in store look very harsh and angled - the suedes less so.

Saying that though - I've been wearing the 348 Chukkas in suede for some time now and I just don't think I can stomach it...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
I definitely find that with the C&J 348. Leather shoes on the 348 in store look very harsh and angled - the suedes less so.

Saying that though - I've been wearing the 348 Chukkas in suede for some time now and I just don't think I can stomach it...

The 348 is not my favorite of lasts... but I think it is very suitable on some shoes. I love the Lowndes on the 348, it is a very fitting last for them imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads