• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Wolverine, I am seeing their boots in $225ish price range. Why are they cheaper than Dayton's by couple hundred bucks when they look just as nice? I do not have skilled eyes on boots tho..

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are completely hand made, that maybe the reason for a bit of a premium.

Sent from my Nexus S

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ceoceo
Speaking of Wolverine, I am seeing their boots in $225ish price range. Why are they cheaper than Dayton's by couple hundred bucks when they look just as nice? I do not have skilled eyes on boots tho..
From the pictures I've seen, the Wolverine 1000 mile looks clunky compared to the Dayton service boot, but I don't have any real experience with either so I could be mistaken.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Yeah, Dayton is a small company, and I'm sure Wolverine can take advantage of economies of scale in their production. I like my Daytons (sized down 1.5 from my Brannock device size), but I think it's a matter of taste. They look fairly different from each other.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ceoceo

Uhm, clothing is just like this. There's not an increase in utility from more $. You could get a pair of Frye's and most people couldn't tell the difference between them and a pair of Butteros.

1000 mile boots are a fine shoe. I have a pair in black that I snagged for cheap. They are more of a traditional work boot tho. And Wolverine is a much much bigger company.

Crump's Brother

Reaction score
just got mine in the mail today...
eenhV.jpg
gcDEK.jpg
2HFTb.jpg
mQq7b.jpg
fCdCt.jpg
aDOWX.jpg
D3Plj.jpg
4ecrY.jpg
kkA4b.jpg
i ordered a size 8.5 width is E and i didn't specify a certain width when i ordered because i thought that would complicate things...i told them what size i wear in other shoes and how thick of socks i would be wearing with them and went with the size they suggested initially i told them what my foot measured with a brannock device (10.5) and i think they initially suggested either a 9.5 or 9 but i told them that i wear a 9 in clarks desert boots, red wing montgomery boots, and red wing GT and they told me an 8.5 would fit fine tried them on w/ thick socks real quick and they felt great...if i wear thinner socks they a little roomy but i can always throw thin insoles in them to make up for that couple things to note, the topy is a bit sloppy as you can see in the pics but that's nothing that couldn't easily be fixed or it will fix itself as they're worn for a bit someone else mentioned the rubber on the heel is not nailed in like they are on the W&H version and as seen on a couple other pairs posted in the early pages in the thread but nothing major 'cause the soles are gonna be on the ground and not shown anyways obviously no W&H stamp on the soles asked if they could throw fabric laces in with them but didn't get any...i'll probably call and see if they send a pair out...preferably i would like flat waxed laces so if anyone knows where to get some point me in the right direction there's a bit of distressing on the leather as shown in the pics...don't want to darken them but with anything but i may put some sno seal on them to try and gain some consistency with color there

SteezNuts

Reaction score
Hmm, I ordered a 6E as indicated inside the boot yet it has a 7 stamped on. Regardless, the boot fits fine.

Overall, the boots are awesome and my only regret is I didn't get another color.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crump's Brother
i ordered a size 8.5

width is E and i didn't specify a certain width when i ordered because i thought that would complicate things...i told them what size i wear in other shoes and how thick of socks i would be wearing with them and went with the size they suggested

initially i told them what my foot measured with a brannock device (10.5) and i think they initially suggested either a 9.5 or 9 but i told them that i wear a 9 in clarks desert boots, red wing montgomery boots, and red wing GT and they told me an 8.5 would fit fine

tried them on w/ thick socks real quick and they felt great...if i wear thinner socks they a little roomy but i can always throw thin insoles in them to make up for that

first of all thanks for taking the time to post pics and talk about your sizing

next ... WTF ... your a 10.5 brannock and got a 8.5? why the hell did they size me an 8 based on a 9 brannock reading then? fml
frown.gif

constantine.

Reaction score
i haven't received my boots yet, but just to prepare in case they don't fit...anyone know what the return policy is like?

reezy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SteezNuts
I got mine as well although I received the regular laces instead of the leather ones I asked for. Do you know what the number on top of the boot means? Referring to this pic: http://i.imgur.com/fCdCt.jpg
Dam...I'm from Toronto too and I haven't got my boot yet...called and emailed them but they never get back at me with much of a response on the status of the boot. EDIT: All of you that received your boots, did you get a tracking number sent to you by Dayton or anything?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.
i haven't received my boots yet, but just to prepare in case they don't fit...anyone know what the return policy is like?

send them back for a replacement or refund.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads