• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
If I can remember properly Boots were banned from Schools,Kids were sent home"to come back when your hair had grown".These facts actually made the Nationals-because of the growing Aggro from Skinheads.I cannot talk about Kilburn I do not know it-but where I was it was the above.

We was wearing boots all the time at school, but they would not allow us to wear Cherry Reds, But Black no probs, also with me I left School officially in July 69, So maybe later they band them?

albion

Reaction score
Originals.
tumblr_lb1clfMVwt1qchrhzo1_500.png

Despot

Reaction score
Read through his whole thread. Very interesting! I appreciate you guys being so candid. This may be a dumb question but what would a skinhead where if it was ever super hot? Boots and long sleeves would be pretty uncomfortable.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot
Read through his whole thread. Very interesting! I appreciate you guys being so candid. This may be a dumb question but what would a skinhead wear if it was ever super hot? Boots and long sleeves would be pretty uncomfortable.
Okay then we'd wear short sleeves. Having said that, when is it ever 'super hot' in Britain?

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
They appear to be. This is a well-known photo and although of 'originals' it has appeared in revival-oriented books etc.

Get your drift and support that, Paul. As for any striking images representing the scene, or any youth culture for that matter, can I just say that a 19 year old looks so much more convincing than a 16 year old. No disrespect to anyone of course (and especially not within the context of this very thread). As for style in general I'd say a true 'geezer' (as in, say, just over 25) would look even more convincing, but that aside. Could also just be me at that, as for the latter
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Batwing
I like the style of that Kilburn lot from that French paper clipping.

Now they had it right
smile.gif

As regards kitting out for a footie match yes. As for looking sharp, well...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Batwing
would that not be as equally important?

Indeed, but that's not what we are being shown on that photo.

Bear in mind that they were kids and might not yet have been able to buy the really sharp clothes.

Batwing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Indeed, but that's not what we are being shown on that photo.

Bear in mind that they were kids and might not yet have been able to buy the really sharp clothes.

Ahh, ok. Thanks...

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Kilburn Mob would be dressed the same as many, who would stand on the Terraces,in any of the London Grounds(North,South,East or West) during the late 60s.As Roy , M-o-M ,myself or any other Supporters at the time,you could tell the "Out-of-Towners".

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
The Kilburn Mob would be dressed the same as many, who would stand on the Terraces,in any of the London Grounds(North,South,East or West) during the late 60s.As Roy , M-o-M ,myself or any other Supporters at the time,you could tell the "Out-of-Towners".

That's true.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday,I heard "Ballroom Blitz"by the Sweet and it got me thinking about later days of the Movement(`72/`73).We have all said,the Originals,that we got into T Rex and other Glam Rock Groups-alongside Rock Groups.But how long did that actual last for.Myself,I would put it to about 6 months.I was again getting back into Soul and Funk with Jazz mixed in.Reggae was still dominated by "Roots" so absolutely no liking there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads