• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spanking

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
what does that even mean dude?

Damn social science books...putting big words to simple things in order to make arts students sound like they spent all those years doing something worthwhile
tounge.gif

Oh please, no need to get out the stock anti-intellectual response, its not like it was getting dusty with the kind of audience we have on the forum....

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I think the poll results are interesting...and confusing. Of the folks who actually have kids 2/3rds don't spank. Of the folks who don't have kids 2/3rds plan to spank. What happens between the time they plan to have them and the time they actually have them? Or is this just stupid sampling error again? So boring.
I was one of those people. I had planned on spanking, but then a combination of not needing to and also doing some research on spanking once the potential became real swayed me into the don't spank camp. That and he's my little buddy. I mean sure I have to teach him stuff and be an authority figure/role model, but I wouldn't hit my hamster, dog, friend, protege, or wife, it just feels so unnatural to spank my kid, I'm just not that kind of dude.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Or maybe when people have kids, they can't bring themselves to raise a hand to Our Little Miracle, while those of us with no kids are callous, uncaring, and wanna belt other people's screaming little brats in the supermarket.
This is generally true. I still feel like spanking other people's kids sometimes even though I believe it is wrong.
smile.gif
Seriously though, I think once you have kids you realize how individual they are and how hard it is to get them to behave a certain way. They are not computers that you can program, even with daily and nightly spanking.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I was one of those people. I had planned on spanking, but then a combination of not needing to and also doing some research on spanking once the potential became real swayed me into the don't spank camp. That and he's my little buddy. I mean sure I have to teach him stuff and be an authority figure/role model, but I wouldn't hit my hamster, dog, friend, protege, or wife, it just feels so unnatural to spank my kid, I'm just not that kind of dude.

Not to point you out in particular... but why are so many people so caught up on research or reading the latest book on parenting? For thousands of years we've been raising kids up and some might say better than now, but for some reason in the past 20-30 years or so it seems like we need to read a book to tell us how to do it... quite honestly, this makes no sense to me. Do you also read books on how to live your life? Drive a car? You learn by doing it and having other people, especially those whom you trust to show you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Do you guys who spank also believe your kids' teachers should have the option to spank them?

I went to school in a school that had a paddle on the wall. some kids did get hit. I don't think it is such a bad thing.

in my son's school, there are truly awful kids whose parents are horrible parents. I have no problem with the idea that my son, and the other kids at his school, will learn about discipline someplace. I think that it would make the world a better place.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
On the contrary I find that people are too rigid in their thinking, quick to resort to confrontation and hardly prepared for life beyond working. It's a recipee for unhapiness...

I think you just nailed the problem of current US/Canadian...maybe the Western World.

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE THIS!

It's why China, India, etc. are producing hard working engineers and hard science types and we produce people that think they are highly educated yet work as barristas.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can identify with that, but I came to different conclusions.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Do you guys who spank also believe your kids' teachers should have the option to spank them?
It depends on the parent/teacher/student relationship. I went to a small Montessori school from pre-K till 3rd, where there was very high parent involvement expected. My mom had he sit down with her when she was talking to the teacher for the new year so that I could hear her authorize it. I think that it was just a bluff, but it was unnecessary anyway, because if I'd done anything bad enough at school to get the teacher to spank me, I would have had ****** whipped at home. School behavior was never a problem on my part. Edit- this raises the more important point that if you're disciplined well at home, your behavior elsewhere shouldn't be a problem.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think you just nailed the problem of current US/Canadian...maybe the Western World.

It's why China, India, etc. are producing hard working engineers and hard science types and we produce highly educated barristas.

+1

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe
Do you also read books on how to live your life? Drive a car? You learn by doing it and having other people, especially those whom you trust to show you.

Yes? I have read books on philosophy and ethics, presenting various arguments of how one should live their lives. I read the rules of the road before I got out there and drove. A mentor is good too, but books and the Internet are wonderful resources that can shed light in ways that you never imagined.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

It's why China, India, etc. are producing hard working engineers and hard science types and we produce people that think they are highly educated yet work as barristas.

You really function in a master-slave dialetic relationship that is highly disturbing. I blame the beltings...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You really function in a master-slave dialetic relationship that is highly disturbing. I blame the beltings...

laugh.gif

Sadly though, I'm the slave of the system and you seem to live the life of the master, given our respective life styles.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Sadly though, I'm the slave of the system and you seem to live the life of the master, given our respective life styles.

I was refeencing Hegel and my comment was mainly about the West/india,chinaetc but ok.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hit my hamster, dog, friend, protege, or wife, it just feels so unnatural to spank my kid.

Exactly. I don't go around hitting random people, much less my loved ones, so why on earth would I want to hit my own kid?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I was refeencing Hegel and my comment was mainly about the West/india,chinaetc but ok.

Ah, thought you were speaking more about having working drones and the leisure class. I aspire to be leisure class but know I will forever fail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads