• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pig Adventure Threak - Day by Day - Updated with all four days!!

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Those "grillades" sound and look just stupid, stupid good.

+1.

Tender cuts of pork? Check.
Garlic? Check.
Duck fat? Check.
Wine? Check.

drool.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Btw, how did you even come up with the idea of this trip?

bigboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
You people have some weird ass hobbies.

lol. +1

But it would be a good idea to at least learn how to butcher..there will be a time when it's needed. Be it out on your own and you've caught a wild hare, or stranded with an SF member in the middle of nowhere.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
looking forward to the hams

I'm pretty sure we do that today. My wife and I leave tomorrow to do some other things around the area, so it is possibly that we won't see that part. The two of us will do almost everything, but there are some things we won't get to. The teacher does these over the weekend, and then my mother, who is with us and lives in the area, picks everything up on Monday and sends whatever will get through customs home to us. I guess she eats the rest.

Originally Posted by Douglas
Those "grillades" sound and look just stupid, stupid good.

Yes, very easy and very good.

Originally Posted by Connemara
Is that a cashmere hoodie?

No, but I'll give it to you, and don't let the lack of cashmere stop you from trying to sell it on SF. Find a good price.

Originally Posted by GQgeek
Btw, how did you even come up with the idea of this trip?

The teacher has become a friend of my mother over the years, and she asked us if we wanted to do it. Normally, she teaches one day things. The pig is a bit more intensive.

Korben

Reaction score
Watching your progression.

Reminds me of my childhood. Never made blood sausage. Just made regular sausage and did quite a bit of salt curing. Nothing like a home cured country ham...

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Is that a cashmere hoodie?

Does it matter if it's Attolini, Anna M. or not?

Originally Posted by iammatt

No, but I'll give it to you, and don't let the lack of cashmere stop you from trying to sell it on SF. Find a good price.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Go for it.

I'll pay the shipping.

From San Fran to conne, not from Europe to conne ( I'm cheap
laugh.gif
).

In his defense, conne has never railed against Pork.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
envious. everyone should do something like this once, just to get an appreciation of where food like this comes from.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread actually made me do some research on pig farms in my area. I don't need a whole pig but will see if I can find someone that wants to go halves with me. This just looks like way too much fun.

emptym

Reaction score
Wowsers!

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Butchering a pig is the new Sardines.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Day 3:
We worked hard during days one and two, very hard. However, it didn't seem like a lot was being done. At the end of the second day, we had relatively little to show for our efforts. That changed on day three.

First we set the rillettes to cook. The fattiest parts are added to a massive stock pot and cooked over very low heat until the fat is liquefied:
img0173dc.jpg

img0184qk.jpg

When it is melted, we add all of the scraps from the previous two days. This includes meat that is not useful for other preparations, bones which have been cleaned but still contain small bits of meat, and any other remaining scrap not suitable for roasting fresh:
img0190r.jpg

img0193s.jpg

The meat is then cooked until very tender, over a low heat for many hours. It will be packed into cans on day four.
Next we set out to confit pork rind for future use in making stews and bean dishes more velvety. The rinds are seasoned and then rolled:
img0175ty.jpg

img0176gh.jpg

img0182r.jpg

Finally they are cooked over low heat in duck and pork fat and then stored in the fat until use:
img0252wa.jpg

Next it is time to prepare pork liver pate. This is the basic country pate that should be pretty familiar to everybody. One third lean pork, one third pork fat and one third pork liver is ground by hand:
img0181ip.jpg

img0191w.jpg

It is then seasoned with salt, pepper and quatre epice.
img0206np.jpg

Then it is packed into cans, ready for sterilization and storage so that it can be eaten at any time over the next year or so:
img0233b.jpg

From there we move on to making an elegant sausage. Since we have leftover foie gras trimmings from making the pate de foie gras the day before, and we have truffles from the forest on the property, we decide to make a sausage mixture using the two. Starting with our base of ground pork, we add chunks of truffle mixed with cubes of foie gras around a half centimeter in size:
img0186y.jpg

img0187x.jpg

We will stuff this into casing tomorrow, but it is lunchtime, and since we are in possession of fresh pig caul, it just makes sense to prepare some crepinettes as an hors d'ouvre:
img0208d.jpg

img0214hv.jpg

For lunch we also prepare a parmentier of blood sausage which is served with a mustard and onion sauce. First mashed potatoes are spread in a gratin dish and blood sausage sliced lengthwise is put on top:
img0220f.jpg

Then the sausages are covered with another layer of mashed potatoes, and the whole thing is placed in the oven until it browns lightly. This is not a light lunch, but we have done a lot of work.
img0223d.jpg

Earlier in the day we started to prepare the pigs head, and now it is time to make the pate de tete, or head cheese. The head goes into a strong court bouillon, and it simmers until very tender.
img0183r.jpg

img0199xe.jpg

Several hours later it is ready, and extremely gelatinous:
img0237w.jpg

We pick all of the meat from the bones, and make a decision to chop the pieces finely, as nobody in the group is a big fan of head cheese with large pieces:
img0238x.jpg

Then, as usual, we pack everything into little cans for sterilization and storage. It should be noted that each of the canned dishes could be done just as well in mason jars, but it is much easier to ship canned goods back home than jarred ones.
img0240k.jpg

This is an interesting picture, though not really all that important. We are grinding pork belly fat, which is extremely fine, into a paste which will be used to prepare puff pastry for lunch tomorrow. Waste not, want not.
img0241n.jpg

Next we make enchaux de pork, or at least I think that is the name of this preparation. To do so we season large pieces of the fattier end of the pork loin and stuff them into large cans. These are then cooked in the canner for three hours and then cooled and stored. When opened the meat is served with its own gelatinous sauce, and is, apparently, quite tasty. I have to say that I am slightly skeptical of this preparation:
img0245bd.jpg

img0251z.jpg

The day's final preparation is petit sale. We take pork breast, both in large pieces and cut into individual ribs, and we cook in an extremely salty court bouillon for half an hour:
img0249k.jpg

Then we fit the pork as tightly as possible in a crock, pour over the cooking liquid and weight down with rocks (sorry for the non-sanitary rocks, Douglas):
img0254z.jpg

img0256m.jpg

These petit sale are then kept in the crock for a minimum of one month, at which time they can be cooked again in unsalted water for another hour and added to simmering beans or lentils making a delicious dinner.
That is the end of the day three work. A lot got done, and we are extremely tired. Luckily our host has prepared a lovely daube de boeuf in the fireplace for us. It has cooked, on and off, for three days, and is now ready to eat. We need energy for the next day:
img0258oj.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Day four: Day four resembles day one in that we worked hard, but made few dishes. We only had half a day, so time was limited. After we left, our teacher filled the rest of the sausages for us to pick up later. Other than that, we got through the entire pig in our four days. First, we fill the more elegant sausages of pork, foie gras and truffle. Here are some of them, there were many more:
img0265f.jpg
We ate them for dinner that night upon returning to our house with a dish of mashed potato and truffle. Delicious. Next we pick through the rillettes to remove all of the bones:
img0279m.jpg
img0281f.jpg
No shortage of rillette here:
img0283rq.jpg
This meat is then ground through the largest hole on the grinder and packed into cans for conservation:
img0297zp.jpg
img0299p.jpg
After this we attack the two hams. This is a very difficult job and it requires three people. First we dry the ham with paper towels and try to soak up all of the blood:
img0268in.jpg
Then the areas with visible meat are rubbed with ground pepper:
img0270n.jpg
After this, a cloth is put down on a large plate, and a layer of salt on top of the cloth:
img0271jc.jpg
From here, two people hold the cloth up while a third adds salt. The idea is to have a uniform layer of salt over the entire piece of meat:
img0276op.jpg
We then pin the cloth in place, and sew in the pleats so that everything is very tight and the ham cures evenly.
img0278z.jpg
img0294us.jpg
Next, we put the hams into the ham box and cover it with cooled ash from the fire (no pic.) It sits in the box for 45 days, and then is cleaned, rubbed with herbs and hung in a cool area for a few months minimum. Lunch is next, and we are having a tart of winter vegetables and foie gras, with a salad and more of the brochettes we enjoyed on day two. First the sautÃ
00a9.png
ed vegetables are put in a tart dish:
img0284mm.jpg
Then foie gras is added, and the whole thing is topped with the puff pastry made with the pork belly fat from day three:
img0286q.jpg
img0287l.jpg
Now we eat:
img0288.jpg
A nice homemade baba and local cheese for dessert:
img0290vq.jpg
Finishing up after lunch, we continue to use the canning pot and to sterilize and preserve all that we have done:
img0260yq.jpg
img0300nt.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads