• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pig Adventure Threak - Day by Day - Updated with all four days!!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For some reason, I have decided to separate the actual play-by-play from my preview pics. Anyway, here is Day One. On day one we worked a lot, doing a lot of butchering, which is not pictured, and we made the blood sausage, which is quite time intensive. One interesting thing about the entire experience is that it takes absolutely no foundational skills when you have a good teacher. There is very little knife work and almost zero work on presentation. What it takes is a good attitude, a strong back and a hell of a lot of energy.

So, here is a somewhat step by step, or at least day by day, recap of the our Great Pig Adventure of 2010. Warning, there are a lot of pics.
We arrived at the house at which we prepared the pig on Monday. It is a truly beautiful area of the world, and the work was done in a very old farmhouse on our instructor's property.
The drive in:
img0167sk.jpg

At arrival, the pig was in four pieces:
img0096te.jpg

The first thing which must be prepared is the boudin noir, or blood sausage. It needs to go first because the blood will spoil more quickly than anything else. It is a pretty simple procedure. First, the least noble parts of the pig are boiled in a strong court bouillon, and then they are chopped by hand to a very fine paste.
img0106qd.jpg

To them is added a large quantity of sautÃ
00a9.png
ed, sliced onions:
img0103kb.jpg

Then the blood and spices:
img0110p.jpg

Unlike regular sausages which are fed through an attachment on a meat grinder, blood sausage must be filled by hand, with a funnel, because the filling is very liquid:
img0114xx.jpg

Here they are, ready to boil:
img0115b.jpg

And going in the broth made from the pig parts boiled to make the filling:
img0119ls.jpg

When they come out, they are a dark grayish brown, but after being covered by a cloth and set to cool, they turn the characteristic black color.
img0121zr.jpg

After all of this it was hard to imagine eating dinner, and in fact, the traditional dinner after the first day is a light vegetable soup, some bread and some cheese. I don't know if I could have taken much more than that. The rest of the time, we ate a small bit of what we had prepared the day before, or if it was something preserved needing a bit of age, we ate the version our teacher made last year.

I'll try to put day two together tomorrow or the next day, if wi-fi and energy are willing to cooperate.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bravo.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are a curious fellow, matt. On the one hand you refuse to go anywhere "dirty" yet you have no issues with cutting a pig into pieces and getting covered in blood.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, it looks like night three brings some sort of strange insomnia...

Day Two:
Day two seems to move a bit slowly as well, but we are chipping away at the pig. By the end of the morning of day one, with a bit of professional help and some power tools, the pig is in usable pieces:
img0134c.jpg

Then the meat must be ground, and it is my responsibility. The ground pork, which is about two thirds fat one third lean forms the backbone of much of what we do. Initially, we have about thirty pounds:
img0126x.jpg

Time for lunch. We prepare "grillades (I think)" which is sliced pork from various tender parts which is first browned in duck fat with whole cloves of garlic, then sprinkled with flour and finally white wine is added and then the whole mixture is cooked until the sauce is quite thick:
img0131i.jpg

img0133b.jpg

With this we serve brochettes of pork kidney, pork fat and pork grilled in the fireplace:
img0143x.jpg

After lunch we begin to prepare the rillettes. They are made from ***** meat to which the mostly cleaned bones are added so as to utilize every bit of flesh available. The first picture is of the sort of meat:
img0137x.jpg

This must be salted and then let to sit overnight:
img0138zz.jpg

Next we work on the pate de foie gras, which will be canned and preserved. First the foie gras must be cleaned:
img0129d.jpg

Then the cans are lined with a thin layer of seasoned, ground pork, and then large pieces of foie gras are added:
img0149rf.jpg

img0152y.jpg

Finally, the foie gras is again covered with the pork:
img0154qz.jpg

Wow, we are not lacking for pate de foie gras!

The last thing we make on day two is conserved petit jambonneau. This meat is from the calf of the pig. It is butterflied, seasoned and spread with ground pork:
img0158m.jpg

img0161q.jpg

Then, it too goes into the cans:
img0163tp.jpg

After that we went into town and closed up the cans at the local hardware store. I don't have pics. Then we went home and slept very, very well.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some of my ancestors did this with human beings, but without the technology for preservation.

- B

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty cool, but is it Glatt Kosher?

It's a little reminiscent of Cajun Boudain down in this neck of the woods.

Since Boudain is Kosher, I love it.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those "grillades" sound and look just stupid, stupid good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads