• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Covid accelerated dress code de-formalization - true or false?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Younger guys at work try to pull off CM with these funky AE shoes. Never works.
957AC54B-49F6-421C-BA0A-6B33C2BF0B77.jpeg

jayvee

Reaction score
What jobs do you need a suit and tie for these days? Law and finance drones, politicians, civil servants who work in proximity to politics, suit sales assistants and menswear bloggers. I can’t think of many others? Detectives on cop shows? (Real) estate agents?

jayvee

Reaction score
Everyone else who used to dress like that; teachers, provincial solicitors, regular executives in any industry, is now in a hideous limbo situation. A whole suit and tie is too much so we end up wearing a shirt and chinos. We have a jacket/blazer/sports coat but just wear it the first couple of days because it’s not that warm. And maybe it’s still too much. So the monster is born, shirt, chinos, puffy vest and backpack.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you beat him with fists or your wine bottle?
Made me want to throw more dinner parties at home. Prior to COVID that was at least once a week. Think we'll go back to it when it's safe(r).

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Everyone else who used to dress like that; teachers, provincial solicitors, regular executives in any industry, is now in a hideous limbo situation. A whole suit and tie is too much so we end up wearing a shirt and chinos. We have a jacket/blazer/sports coat but just wear it the first couple of days because it’s not that warm. And maybe it’s still too much. So the monster is born, shirt, chinos, puffy vest and backpack.

so true

the two biggest factors in the dumbing down of America are Biz Caj and McDonalds.

i still hold out hope that clothes that look good will maintain and even make a comeback.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the two biggest factors in the dumbing down of America are Biz Caj and McDonalds.
Wouldn't that abbreviation be part of the dumbing down? Now you just stop it. I KNOW you know better!

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Wouldn't that abbreviation be part of the dumbing down? Now you just stop it. I KNOW you know better!
Oh, the abbreviation is completely intertwined with the dumbing down of America.

Reactions: RSS

Hellbent

Reaction score
As soon as people get any freedom of choice when it comes to how to dress, pretty much all of them choose to just not care. Yet the same people often complain about the architecture of modern buildings. How terrible they look and how much nicer houses were built back in the day.
I just can't wrap my head around it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As soon as people get any freedom of choice when it comes to how to dress, pretty much all of them choose to just not care. Yet the same people often complain about the architecture of modern buildings. How terrible they look and how much nicer houses were built back in the day.
I just can't wrap my head around it.

It seems pretty natural to me to have limited interests, as you need resources to pursue those interests. Someone may recognize that others look good in a suit. However, to wear a suit well, you need time to learn how to dress, the financial resources to purchase good suits and afford their upkeep, and access to good tailors/ stores. Similarly, someone might recognize that some homes look better than others, but they may not have the financial resources to purchase one of those homes for themselves.

I assume most people recognize when someone has good penmanship and may even admire it. Yet, how many people have good penmanship themselves? Learning how to write well requires time, dedication, and often (although in this case, not always) a bit of money. It helps to have access to good books and tutors, the financial means to afford good fountain pens and paper, etc. It's extremely rare for me to see people with good penmanship, and those who possess such a skill are rarely well dressed, as they've dedicated their resources to their own niche hobby.

Last edited:

Hellbent

Reaction score
Yes. I get that. Not everyone wants to put in the effort, be that time or money. But then, how can they expect architects and builders to put in the money or effort to build more aesthetically pleasing buildings.

Don't they understand that they, in the eyes of everyone who lays eyes on them, are polluting the visual experience just as much as those houses.

It's like complaining about the street music being played while yelling so loud that everyone around them gets a headache.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics