• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Offical Barbour Thread

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
2,147
Reaction score
175
There seems to be many scattered discussions about barbour so I believe an offical thread might be useful. Feel free to make comments ask questions, etc.
 

danilo

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
736
Reaction score
1
can a mod consolidate the barbour threads into here so we can have all that info?
 

bigbjorn

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
619
Reaction score
0
Yeah or alternately we could have separate threads for Yorkshire farmers' wear and crappy Italian motorcycle-inspired clothing. In other words, Barbour makes more than the Intl, so it makes no sense to consolidate these brands into one thread.
 

clausc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2007
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
7
^+1
I own some items from both brands, but they serve different purposes.
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,616
Reaction score
20,858
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Yeah or alternately we could have separate threads for Yorkshire farmers' wear and crappy Italian motorcycle-inspired clothing. In other words, Barbour makes more than the Intl, so it makes no sense to consolidate these brands into one thread.

+1 - A consolidated Barbour thread would be good, but I don't think shoving Belstaff into the equation helps.
 

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
2,147
Reaction score
175
Ok just removed Belstaff from title. When time permits I'll post some useful info for da newbs.


So let me start it up asking, what do duralinen jackets (International, flyer, etc) look/feel like? I sent an email to a Brit provider and they said it looks leather(y). Any truth to this?

Also any information on Carbon finshes? If you are familar with both, which would you choose?
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,616
Reaction score
20,858
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Ok just removed Belstaff from title. When time permits I'll post some useful info for da newbs.


So let me start it up asking, what do duralinen jackets (International, flyer, etc) look/feel like? I sent an email to a Brit provider and they said it looks leather(y). Any truth to this?

Also any information on Carbon finshes? If you are familar with both, which would you choose?


Duralinen is linen with a thick plastic coating that looks like tar. Imagine getting some cloth, painting it with road tar then leaving it to dry. Does it look like leather? Vaguely I suppose. The surface sort of cracks slightly as it ages so it does look a bit like an old dried leather chair, and the slight stiffness of the fabric means it hangs more like leather than linen.If you like an aged look it's pretty cool. I don't own one but I don't think it's waterproof though would obviously cope with a light shower better than pure linen. There are different versions of duralinen - some (e.g. the duralinen International) have a slight glossy sheen, others (e.g. the field jacket) are more matt.

Carbon - basically a reasonably heavy polyester jacket with a definite metallic sheen. Not my cup of tea, but looks better than the memory finish which is pretty bog standard polyester.
 

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
8,460
Reaction score
750
yeah i figured the Barbour International thread was the official thread but might as well make this one the official one

i am heading to georgetowns barbour store to figure out international original sizing. i have the tokito bicycle in small so trying to get a similar fit. ive heard sizing all over the place regarding the international original so ill just try it on myself and figure it out from store.

i guess ill size down to like a 34 since im a 36r chest. maybe even 32 ...
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,616
Reaction score
20,858
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah i figured the Barbour International thread was the official thread but might as well make this one the official one

i am heading to georgetowns barbour store to figure out international original sizing. i have the tokito bicycle in small so trying to get a similar fit. ive heard sizing all over the place regarding the international original so ill just try it on myself and figure it out from store.

i guess ill size down to like a 34 since im a 36r chest. maybe even 32 ...


I would guess sizing down to 34 on the original would do if you want a slimmish fit. The cut is slightly boxy and designed for a thick winter liner + sweater.
 

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
8,216
Reaction score
1,880
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I would guess sizing down to 34 on the original would do if you want a slimmish fit. The cut is slightly boxy and designed for a thick winter liner + sweater.
True - I got mine tts in a 42, and it's almost too big. The waist cinch saves it. If I had a do-over, I'd probably do the 40, but I love my jacket too much to entertain the thought. I've gotten some great wear out of it this winter. Also, I read in another thread that they sometimes do a two-way zipper on the international? Mine is just a standard zipper, and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that.
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,616
Reaction score
20,858
Originally Posted by El Argentino
True - I got mine tts in a 42, and it's almost too big. The waist cinch saves it.

If I had a do-over, I'd probably do the 40, but I love my jacket too much to entertain the thought. I've gotten some great wear out of it this winter.

Also, I read in another thread that they sometimes do a two-way zipper on the international? Mine is just a standard zipper, and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that.


Yes I'm a 43 and went for the 42 - it's not a slim fit, but I wear the fleecy liner and a 40 would have been too snug on the shoulders.

The A7/Original International has a one way zip in the current release. There are numerous modified versions of the International though (most of them slimmer cut but limited to M, L, XL etc.) and they may well have two way zips...
 

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
2,147
Reaction score
175
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah i figured the Barbour International thread was the official thread but might as well make this one the official one

i am heading to georgetowns barbour store to figure out international original sizing. i have the tokito bicycle in small so trying to get a similar fit. ive heard sizing all over the place regarding the international original so ill just try it on myself and figure it out from store.

i guess ill size down to like a 34 since im a 36r chest. maybe even 32 ...


The chest measurement on a (32) is 42 inches, so sizing down 2 for slim flt sounds highly plausible assuming the sleeve length is not too short.
 

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
8,460
Reaction score
750
Originally Posted by ManofKent
The A7/Original International has a one way zip in the current release. There are numerous modified versions of the International though (most of them slimmer cut but limited to M, L, XL etc.) and they may well have two way zips...

yeah i know theres so many other variations of the international. i just figured if its a jacket i want to keep for a long time, i might as well get the original. plus the original has the 8oz vs most of the other ones are 6oz but i would probably never know the difference.

if people have handled the other variations like the active international or the slim one, are they better worse? i know some of the other variations are also not made in england and do not feature the classic barbour tartan ... wonder if they are better or worse for the price
 

deputychino

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by El Argentino
True - I got mine tts in a 42, and it's almost too big. The waist cinch saves it. If I had a do-over, I'd probably do the 40, but I love my jacket too much to entertain the thought. I've gotten some great wear out of it this winter. Also, I read in another thread that they sometimes do a two-way zipper on the international? Mine is just a standard zipper, and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that.
i have a size 38 distressed international and a size 42 original green international (both 75th anniversary, it's a long story), they both have the double zipper on them. Here is a pic of the zipper:
and here is a pic of the original green jacket:
Oh, and the sleeves on these run on the short side, so depending on how tall you are they may be an issue.
 

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

  • I mainly buy my clothes online.

  • I shop online only if there is a sale.

  • I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

  • I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

  • I mainly shop in store.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
425,029
Messages
9,125,741
Members
191,821
Latest member
varleykr

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top