• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone should be familiar with the first brand...

orig.jpg

The Patek 5124 Gondolo in WG.

standard.jpg

A very understated dress watch.

orig.jpg

With the awesome shaped movement from Patek.

The next one is a little obscure, unless you are really into independent haute horlogerie.

orig.jpg

Romain Gauthier Collection Prestige in 18K rose gold

orig.jpg

The movement is to die for!!! In-house designed, manufactured, hand finished AND hand assembled by a huge team of TWO, Romain and his watchmaker, Sebastien Berney. Only about 20 pieces have been delivered worldwide. Romain flew halfway around the world to deliver my piece personally.

orig.jpg

Again, another very understated dress watch.

The third is another obsure independent brand, Sarpaneva. Designed, assembled and hand finished by Finnish watchmaker, Stepan Sarpaneva. This is a watch that is nothing short of otherworldly - Steampunk meets Bladerunner!!!

orig.jpg

The Korona K2 with a custom rose gold finished movement and skeletonised dial. Stepan comes from a long heritage of designers. Google "Sarpaneva" and you will find that he is the nephew of the late Timo Sarpaneva, a celebrated Finnish contemporary artist and designer, whose pieces are exhibited in modern art museums around the world.

orig.jpg

The depth of the dial is just stunning and is constructed from three seperate steel layers, each hand finished by Stepan. The hands are also hand finished by Stepan. Note how the tip looks black. This is achieved by a technique called specular polishing (or black polishing) where the surface is so highly polish, depending on the angle light reflects, the surface will be either black, white or grey. This piece was the first pair to leave his workbench (he assembles his watches himself and does it in pairs).

orig.jpg

The date window and date wheel are just so cool. Stepan has just recently hired another watchmaker to help him out. He has the capacity to produce no more than 50 pieces a year and is already fully committed for the rest of the year.

orig.jpg

A very futuristic piece and a very fitting companion to visit Japan with (Osaka to be precise).

And finally, another obscure watch from the brains of Ludwig Oechslin (ex-head of R&D of Ulysses Nardin and father of UN's FREAK watch) and the hands of independent watchmaker Paul Gerber.

standard.jpg

The MIH watch is a special project by the Musee International d'Horlogerie (The International Horology Museum) to raise funds for the restoration of a gigantic clock. Ludwig is the Director of the museum.

standard.jpg

Believe it or not but this simple looking watch is a monopusher chronograph annual calender. For the uninitiated, it is a single button stop watch (the single button starts, stops and resets the second hand) with a 30 minute counter at the back of the watch AND will automatically adjust for months with 30 and 31 days. February is the only month that requires manual adjustment.

The entire annual calendar mechanism is achieved with just NINE parts!!! Nothing short of a huge technical achievement. And the packaging is pretty cool. It comes wrapped in a newspaper!

Hope this was an interesting post. Curious to know which one grabs your attention the most and why?

Cheers

Gaz

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gaz,

Your Patek is beautiful
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
They are all gorgeous in their own ways. The Patek is an understated classic. The Gauthier has elegant and original lines, and a truly stunning movement. The Sarpaneva is just amazing, but not something I'd wear, I'm all about classic lines. The MIH is beatiful in a vintage Danish Modern sort of way.

I think the Gauthier may be my favorite, but ask me again in 5 minutes.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The patek would be my favorite in this post...

For the afficionado's out there, a good friend of mine is a vintage watch dealer. Just check out the site for some amazing vintage and limited edition watches.. www.manbodhwatches.com

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
orig.jpg

Romain Gauthier Collection Prestige in 18K rose gold

orig.jpg

The movement is to die for!!! In-house designed, manufactured, hand finished AND hand assembled by a huge team of TWO, Romain and his watchmaker, Sebastien Berney. Only about 20 pieces have been delivered worldwide. Romain flew halfway around the world to deliver my piece personally.

Wow, Gaz. It is stunning! So is your Patek.
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like Romain's watch but I am curious how much the MIH watch sells for. I like the modern design.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I like Romain's watch but I am curious how much the MIH watch sells for. I like the modern design.
Would you like him to send it to you?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CHF 5,000 (can be bought at Embassy [email protected])

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I love the Sarapaneva

bcate3

Reaction score
A sublime collection, Gaz. Thanks for the introduction to Gauthier & Sarpaneva. MIH is a grail. How do you like it? I’m also curious to know which watch gets the most wrist time.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Artisan Fan, as a few have mentioned its 5,000 Swiss Francs available only from Embassy. It is a limited production (not limited edition) watch of 500 a year. They are delivered in two batches of 250 pieces in Spring and Autumn. As far as I know, they are all sold for 2008 and Embassy is taking orders for Spring 2009 delivery. Worth contacting Embassy, ask for Andrea. She is very helpful.

It is indeed a stunning watch but the recent batch have had some issues, including the second hand not resetting to 12 and the annual calendar mechanism misaligning the date wheel. Unfortunately, mine was one of them but it was under warranty and its back at Paul Gerber's workshop getting fixed. Having said that, while I am dissapointed, I am not upset about it and am looking forward to getting it back.

Gaz

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
A sublime collection, Gaz. Thanks for the introduction to Gauthier & Sarpaneva. MIH is a grail. How do you like it? I'm also curious to know which watch gets the most wrist time.

As I mentioned, in my post to Artisan, the MIH is an awesome watch, eventhough I had a problem with mine. Of the four, the Sarpaneva gets the most time
smile.gif

I love the complexity of the dial. The Korona actually comes in three flavours, the K1 has a solid dial, the K2 has the skeletonised dial and the K3 has a skeletonised dial with an awesome moonphase design.

standard.jpg

While I think this is awesome, I went with the K2 because I just love the cleaner look of the K2 dial and didn't want to clutter it with the moonphase. I also didn't see the point of having a moonphase without the date function.

Gaz

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Gaz,

Your Patek is beautiful
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

LOL its a real classic. The 5124 incorporates Patek's new rectangular movement, which was introduced about two years ago in response to critism that Patek was putting its round 215 movement into rectangular cases.

Its a great companion piece to my other Patek, the 5111 Gondolo, which has been discontinued. The 5111 has a very nice art deco design and a very complicated case structure but alas, it contains the round 215 movement with no see through back.

Gaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads