• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are wholecuts ugly?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
that has nothing to do with bespoke vs rtw. and trickers is far from typical rtw
What about those? They are Berluti. Same straight line from toe to the height of the instep.
Wait to see them in a year's time.

3.jpg

84730-1.jpg

Even better, show us your shoes after a year of wear.
Originally Posted by TKDKid
I think wholecuts look better from afar (with shoe trees in them!) than when they're on your feet (which tends to "flatten" them out and so make them lose their shape).
Agreed, they look nice when new but go down from there. Rather like Orson Welles: "I started at the top, and worked my way down."

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
I like mine:

And of course, the infamous seamless wholecut, courtesy of centipede:

bjsugo1.JPG

Gimme a break. We all know that shoe doesn't exist.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Keep in mind, a seamless wholecut is also allowed to have some decoration...

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

BG54.jpg

zjpj83, I'm trying to identify this shoe and coming up empty. I'm guessing either the Grant or the Sinatra with a whole lotta extra decoration (blind broguing) on the Mitchell last, but is it possibly bespoke?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
zjpj83, I'm trying to identify this shoe and coming up empty. I'm guessing either the Grant or the Sinatra with a whole lotta extra decoration (blind broguing) on the Mitchell last, but is it possibly bespoke?

bespoke and, sadly, not mine

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I would not call the wholecut the most forma shoe, either for evening or day. To me it is a "contemporary" shoe and this somewhat fashion forward.

For formal day wear, I like a black punch cap (boot or shoe). For evening wear, a stich cap. For black/white tie, a plain toe oxford.

Not pumps?

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Some do, some dont. I dont think it has anything to do with the wholecut design per se. I have some oxfords which are completely closed at the top, and some which aren't.

I asked the same question when I first got this pair. This pic is the first 2 minutes of me ever trying it on. It has closed more since I wore them. Also this is my slightly bigger foot, my left foot is slightly smaller, so a bit less gap on that side.

The answers I received at the time were "well do they fit otherwise?". If they do, then there is nothing to worry about.

another pic to dwell on the merits of wholecut, Sargents from the label ID thread:

ASWestminster.jpg

Hey Tarmac, thanks for the response.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members