• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are wholecuts ugly?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

Those are some of the most gorgeous shoes I've seen.
worship.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some really beautiful shoes in this thread! my first pair of "proper" shoes since joining SF were a pair of 3 eyelet wholecuts made in hk!
322213005_14b5b21d38.jpg
322210314_380fc6b1cf.jpg

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I've never liked wholecuts. I know most of the shoe aficianados love them, but I can't warm up to them. The only exception would be Jermyn II, but I like that because it's a monk and in spite of the fact that it's a wholecut.
+1. I Prefer the Chapel and Vale, in that order, to the Jermyn II. They are the only wholecuts that I like, but I really like them.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian is gonna flip out when he sees this

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aportnoy,

Those are awesome. I am assuming those are EG for RLPL but am unfamiliar with the model name. Care to enlighten me?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't hold with wholecuts. I can't see an occasion for which I wouldn't prefer another style. Never say never but I can never see myself buying or wearing a pair of wholecuts. I can see how they work for some people. Every time I see a pair, they remind me of orthapedic shoes for some reason.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
I don't hold with wholecuts. I can't see an occasion for which I wouldn't prefer another style. Never say never but I can never see myself buying or wearing a pair of wholecuts. I can see how they work for some people. Every time I see a pair, they remind me of orthapedic shoes for some reason.

Interesting. Orthopedic shoes are generally clunky, with lots and lots of seams and stitching. Very often with heavy leather and padding for ankle support.

here are a couple:

http://www.drewshoe.com//default.asp...detail&pid=138
http://www.drewshoe.com//default.asp...detail&pid=141

Even Alden's orthopedic shoes are clunky, with heavy soles and such.
http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho.htm

A whole-cut has minimal seams and typically a sleek, slim sole.

I find it curious that you would associate a whole-cut with orthopedic shoes.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navigator II, now we're talking....

Yes, I am aware they are quite different yet they trigger-off the analogy for me or, at the least, as being a special kind of shoe; maybe to be used in a special kind of environment i.e. when your lawyer is prising your credit card from your prostrate form while gently applying pressure to your neck with his Lobb wholecut... or something like that

crwecko

Reaction score
I personally only like wholecuts... I dont like it when shoes have too much detailing or stitching and I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into a wholecut. I feel that it looks more classy and chic than shoes with stitching...

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, here is a three year old pair.....

66kg6j6.jpg
[/IMG]

I love wholecuts - the Weymouth is a benchmark shoe, IMO. I think we do a pretty fair job as well
sly.gif
; especially like them with 3 eyelets.

My favorite pair of all time was a Ferragamo that was out about 15 or so years ago, called the Salvatore, as it was the only shoe he would wear personally....said it was the true measure of a shoemaker.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from pictures on this forum, I've never actually seen anyone wearing a wholecut. Pretty rare in DC.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Apart from pictures on this forum, I've never actually seen anyone wearing a wholecut. Pretty rare in DC.

DC is pretty much a cap-toe/wingtip/tassel loafer town. Or clunky KC-style shoes, which are common on young lawyers.

I wear my Weymouths in the city every now and then. Mostly, I wear monkstraps and boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads