• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be 60 in four months, Dr Huh, and I still wear the style (minus the braces and DMs)
smile.gif

Big Muscle

Reaction score
Hello. How do you polish your DMs? I do spit-shine to get mirror shine, but it cracks in creases and then everything I touch gets black. Also when I stumble, the polish layer goes away and it lefts "a hole" in shine. Any tips?

dave

Reaction score
I've done mine the same way for 20 years and never had any problems. just use regular old Kiwi (cordovan or black) lay it on with a polish dauber and wait about 10 minutes or so. Then I buff them with a brush and polish with an old shoe bag like there's no tomorrow. they'll shine up like a new penny and last forever.

Big Muscle

Reaction score
I forgot about this topic =)
I use black Kiwi polish and I buff it with a brush. It is ok, but it doesn't shine as good as with spit-shine.

I also have some Dr Martens Balsam but it is not so good as everyone says (no shine and it doesn't never get dry) but at least it doesn't black my turnups.

And also a question about quality of today's DMs. Everyone I know (including me) have the problem that leather cracks in creases. Different boots doesn't do it, only Martens. We have model 1919 and polish it regularly. (look at this http://img534.yfrog.com/img534/2706/dmpravazleva.jpg )

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have managed to dig out a few old snapshots from 1968.

The first one is from just before Ben Shermans really caught on - we wore plain white shirts at that stage.:
hard%20mod%200.jpg

The next features a button-down shirt (I don't think it is actually a Ben) plus Harrington jacket. The pic was taken at a free concert in Hyde Park:
hard%20mod%201.jpg

This one features a sheepskin, Levi Sta-Prest strides, and boots. Pic taken outside Goldsmiths College, New Cross:
hard%20mod%202.jpg

RugbyCub

Reaction score
GOD..... What great photos.... i had the same color sta-prest.... i f--ing loved em... i was 10 and hoped Mum woudnlt know why i wanted those EXACT trousers.... but... i dont think i ever fooled em...

The pics made me smile.... very smart..... and reminded me of home

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RugbyCub
GOD..... What great photos.... i had the same color sta-prest.... i f--ing loved em... i was 10 and hoped Mum woudnlt know why i wanted those EXACT trousers.... but... i dont think i ever fooled em...

The pics made me smile.... very smart..... and reminded me of home

Glad you enjoyed them! I'm still searching through my loft for more pics... you never know...

M-o-M

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's another one, from 1968. It's actually a bloody awful pic, but shows that in London we wore our shirts with the top button undone, with a tightly-knotted windsor knot tie. (The pic shows, by the way, that we weren't all right wing; it was taken on the way to a protest about teachers' pay. The guy on the left actually became a programme director on BBC radio.)
1968%20with%20BP.jpg

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
I forgot about this topic =)
I use black Kiwi polish and I buff it with a brush. It is ok, but it doesn't shine as good as with spit-shine.

I also have some Dr Martens Balsam but it is not so good as everyone says (no shine and it doesn't never get dry) but at least it doesn't black my turnups.

And also a question about quality of today's DMs. Everyone I know (including me) have the problem that leather cracks in creases. Different boots doesn't do it, only Martens. We have model 1919 and polish it regularly. (look at this http://img534.yfrog.com/img534/2706/dmpravazleva.jpg )

I'm seeing the same happen on my newer MIE 1460s (but not on my 'James' model chromexcel 1460s, which are a more supple leather, imo). I think that creasing is pretty unavoidable with the laminated hard-smooth leather used on the 1460s. It's not a case of them being too dry, that's for sure...

I'm loving the latest additions to this thread.
worship.gif
Glad to see that it still pumps warm blood.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlproject
get smart... time to write a book. amazing photos in here, many i have never come across.

Well, if anyone should do so, then GS would be the man for the job.

I have thought of memoirs myself, because frankly the lack of authentic photos from the era, the fact that the available photos are mainly of the "hard" look and not the "sharp" look (if you catch my meaning), and the assumption of an (only approximate) look by later generations, all tend to lead to inaccuracy. One very frustrating thing is that the girls' fashions - like those really smart, tailored suits in mohair and trevira, that looked as smart as jackie Kennedy suits and really feminine - just don't seem to appear anywhere.

Still searching my attic for more...

sambarock

Reaction score
Amazing photos! That is the ultimate smart look
worship.gif

Please can you post more photos... All the details are really interesting to be noted.

Question: when the button-downs caught on did all of then had the button in the back , box pleat and hook or regular BB where wore as well?

Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I have managed to dig out a few old snapshots from 1968.

The first one is from just before Ben Shermans really caught on - we wore plain white shirts at that stage.:
hard%20mod%200.jpg

The next features a button-down shirt (I don't think it is actually a Ben) plus Harrington jacket. The pic was taken at a free concert in Hyde Park:
hard%20mod%201.jpg

This one features a sheepskin, Levi Sta-Prest strides, and boots. Pic taken outside Goldsmiths College, New Cross:
hard%20mod%202.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member