Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Work harder, die sooner!

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Finally, I have a legitimate excuse for doing nothing on the job!

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/0...or-your-heart/

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

What a groundbreaking finding. [​IMG]

3. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

What a groundbreaking finding. [​IMG]

I wouldn't treat it like that.... Sure it's easy to say "Work longer, suffer more", but it's another to say it with statistical back up. And a lot of studies simply disprove "common knowledge" things like this.

It's interesting it's set in Britain. Isn't the work environment (both hours and weeks per year) typically shorter there?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

So what this is telling me is that all civil servants need to have 12 hour days mandated.

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

My tipping point is right around 9 hours. Usually right around that time I get irritable and frustrated. After that, my brain just becomes worthless. I spend most of the time working on very non-specific tasks and after too long I just lose all ability to focus my attention on a specific problem or think critically about what I'm doing. If I step away and come back later, decisions and work start to do themselves and it's always a feeling like "Of course. Why would I have thought otherwise?"

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    So what this is telling me is that all civil servants need to have 12 hour days mandated.

At least make sure it is applied to Congress.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My tipping point is right around 9 hours. Usually right around that time I get irritable and frustrated. After that, my brain just becomes worthless. I spend most of the time working on very non-specific tasks and after too long I just lose all ability to focus my attention on a specific problem or think critically about what I'm doing. If I step away and come back later, decisions and work start to do themselves and it's always a feeling like "Of course. Why would I have thought otherwise?"
    This. Sometimes you just need a break. The trick isn't to work harder, its to worker smarter*. *I can't believe I just wrote that.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i function at the highest in the morning. perhaps the first 3 hours of the day. after that, it drops off steadily until right around the 8 hour mark. but it may be psychological, as im conditioned to think im ending my day upon 8 hours.

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I'm a morning and late night person, which is a tough schedule to follow. Between 8PM and 9AM, I'm sharp. I would love to work a graveyard shift.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

The secret is to vary the length of your days. If I pull two 14 hour days, which two in a row now is quite rare, I'm gone by noon on Friday. I usually work 10 hour days Mon-Thurs, although I usually have at least one evening meeting a week, but I do try and skip out by 3 on most Fridays. If I have to work on a weekend, I'm taking a three day weekend the following week.

You can do a steady 50 hours a week if you just mix it up. It's five 10 hour days that get burdensome.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Sweet, this ensures I won't outlive my retirement. Or, quite possibly, never get to enjoy it.

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

LOLOL

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

As long as I get an exemption, OK. I just wanna get mine!

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm a morning and late night person, which is a tough schedule to follow. Between 8PM and 9AM, I'm sharp. I would love to work a graveyard shift.
    I do my best thinking very early in the morning and very late at night.