• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
lol. itt. people learn that details do matter and it's not as easy finding cheap replicas as they think. Also, oxnard makes me miss the days of the US$ killing the CAD
frown.gif

wttm

Reaction score
So is there anybody out there that got a pair from Dayton?! How was the process cause they aren't on their website.

Brinbro

Reaction score
Those days seem like they never happened now.

Cansty, I know this too. What's with people speaking as if their only encounter with a brand or interaction is the one and only fact? They were going for $239, same boot as the W+H just not distressed. And who says they want a cheap replica? I just don't want to buy a boot where two companies are trying to take a dip out of a well that I dug in effect doubling the price. '

If you want some really funny evidence of the Wings+Horns boot hype/circle-jerk go here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...54#post2753254 to see these boots called 'REALLY ugly' amongst other things. ******* gold.

Stagger Lee

Reaction score
Whatever, only each person can decide if a product is "worth" the money. What does that even mean? Some people will pay $4000.00 for a Kiton or Brioni suit. Is it worth the price? Sure, if you'll wear it and enjoy it. But all the hand work that goes in to those suits means nothing if you don't feel good in it.

Is Dior worth the price? It's a $1700.00 suit. That's a lot for many people. But still they'll pay for it because to them it's worth it whether there's any hand work in it or not.

So, buy what you like. Getting bogged down with technical details makes no sense sometimes, because really determining if a product is worth the price is a tricky business. And in the end, it's all about if you are happy with what you got. At least that's my opinion.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ So true....

Brinbro, just stating my personal exp, maybe you got a different quote, thats cool, not saying you lying or anything, just saying I didnt see that value in saving 2 bills for something that wasnt going to be the same as I really wanted, and after dayton sent me pics of them I realized they also didnt look nearly as nice as the legit collab ones.

Believe me man, Im a no-bs kind of guy and even though I really dont have a spending limit, I pride myself in always getting the best deal I can for what I want, and I was really into getting these cheaper but again to me there was no alternative that really matched or top them imo, thats not to say they're not overpriced @retail, but everyone has their own price/quality point in mind.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
lol.

itt. people learn that details do matter and it's not as easy finding cheap replicas as they think.

Also, oxnard makes me miss the days of the US$ killing the CAD
frown.gif

I feel like I will be telling my grand kids about the crazy days of SNES and the USD being worth two CADs, those days are long gone now.
Brinbro I realize what your getting at with the picture of the regular Dayton boots but that really just supports the fact that they are made of completely different materials. I think there are enough differences to warrant an exclusion of comparisons here, it is two completely different products. Also Dayton boots have goodyear welts which Fiorentini + Baker boots do not, which is a small detail yes but it can have a great impact on the long-term durability of the shoe. Don't get me wrong F+B makes wonderful footwear too but there are more than enough small details and differences between the two brands (and any other brand mentioned here).
When you have such greatly varied and different products it really doesn't make sense to try and make such disparaging comparisons of value and worth.
picture008.jpg

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
itt. people learn that details do matter and it's not as easy finding cheap replicas as they think.
Have definitely noticed lately people talking as if something somewhat similar is "pretty much the same" and thus can be readily substituted for what happens to be a more expensive version of said item.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
Okay, thanks for your opinion. Since I didn't say they're better 'constructed' (a term that is thrown around here all too often in non-quantifiable and often irrelevant ways) I appreciate your contribution to this discussion.

In case you're not aware the W+H boot is certainly as much a 'fashion' boot than anything F+B makes, maybe even more so. Oh but wait, I forget all the dudes buying their new 'rugged' and 'outdoor' W+H boots to go work construction and maybe lay some concrete or chop a few trees down - yeah ******* right. **** the other day my buddy just walked right out of this F+B boots since the sole unstitched itself and the leather disintegrated. What shoddy 'construction'!

And the boot I speak of specifically is the 745 from F+B - it comes in four or so finishes with great leather and I believe is assembled in Italy. Pretty great considering you can get it for around $400 or on sale for around $300 if you hunt. I consider that a much better boot (in case you didn't realize, this is opinion, so relax).

Seems like you're the only one in this thread who needs to "relax". What's with the attitude?

Actually, I ordered the 745 from gimmeshoes and back it went. Cool enough looking boot, but the leather was paper thin and the welting left much to be desired. Overall, the boot just didn't feel all that substantial. They reminded me of the "Made in Mexico" Fryes. I showed them to my cobbler and he wasn't impressed. Nice for walking around town, but I would not put the same faith in them that I have in Frye USA, Buttero, NDC, Red Wing etc. to ride my motorcycle and just plain beat the hell out of.

Face it, most boots are overpriced, but go ahead and actually handle both the 745 and the W+H. Formulate your own opinion. I have, and I think the W+H, at $720 is a better value than the F&B at $420.

Walter Williams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
What's with people speaking as if their only encounter with a brand or interaction is the one and only fact?

If you want some really funny evidence of the Wings+Horns boot hype/circle-jerk go here:

So two people criticize a hideous boot similar to the W+H service boot, and that confirms the hype/circle-jerk for the W+H boot is bullshit? I don't buy it.

I do think it is strange that so many people on here sell them at well below retail. Is it a matter of people using a product that holds it's value fairly well for quick, substantial cash, or is there another reason?

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's so hard to find a good pair of boots. It's all in the details. Apparently only Dayton and Wings+Horns can figure it out. Hope I can one day afford them. I want some BAD!

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I have seen the W+H boots many times, only tried them on for a few minutes... they seem well made to me but not somehow superior to a lot of other boots. My NiCos definitely feel more solid. Talked to an outdoor enthusiast? guy at the last sample sale who sold his W+HxDayton after 6 months or so's wear, on grounds that he felt when wearing them that he was wearing a fashion boot, not a boot boot, and didn't have confidence that they could stand up to weather / salt etc. he was putting them through in the long run. Which surprised me, because they certainly seem like they should be able to last for quite a while despite punishment.

guyferguson

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
This whole argument is so tired. Whether or not something is overpriced is so subjective it's rarely worth discussing. Implying that someone along the chain is unfairly marking these boots up is simply wrong though. Dayton makes the boots, then marks them up, W+H buys the boots, distresses them and then marks them up, retailers then purchase the boots, and obviously mark them up too. No one in this process is stepping outside of what is considered a standard retail mark up. This is simply the way a collaboration of this nature works. The product may pass through an extra set of hands, but it's the only way this specific product can reach the consumer. The comparison of the non-distressed version of the boot does not hold much weight as it is simply a different product. Washed KMW jeans cost more than the raw version of the same cut. If you don't like the treatment then don't buy the product, but the fact remains that every additional process will add to the final cost.

I think the boots are great and i have yet to find another pair that nails the aesthetic, while preserving the level of craftsmanship. That being said, they are definitely more of a 'fashion' boot to me. The leather sole makes for a great profile, but isn't really the best option for rainy North West weather.

I also think footwear is probably the only area where the SF emphasis on quality is completely justified. A poorly made pair of shoes will literally fall apart earlier than a higher quality pair. Cost-per-wear is a legitimate consideration when buying a pair of boots, and a welted sole is a critical and often decisive feature.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Have definitely noticed lately people talking as if something somewhat similar is "pretty much the same" and thus can be readily substituted for what happens to be a more expensive version of said item.

Yea, i mean i think it might've started initially with AA hoodies being the same as W&H and then a bunch of people end up unhappy with their aa hoodies. Then the next big thing was Jcrew shirts (tailored or not) being the same as BoO but i think people saw there was an obvious difference despite both being oxford cloth shirts. F&B boots are cool and all. I definitely think they're quite different though so i don't understand the "just buy F&B boots instead" kinda stuff. I've handled them at barneys plenty of times, they're pretty solid. Not sure they're not also "overpriced" whatever that means. Don't think they're the same but they're attractive boots as well.

Boots are hard to find because while "black leather boot" is pretty easy, finding all the small little details of type of leather, finishing, sole, toe shape, last, height, silhouette, distressing, and other details. People want different things a lot of times but there is a lot of crap to think about if you're being picky

sirkus

Reaction score
I should have those boots in by today or Monday latest. Those pictures were taken by the sales rep. For those curious about ordering from Dayton, you need to call them and inquire about the Wings+Horns model. I believe they have a 5.5 with a leather sole remaining and a few sparse sizes. I lucked out and grabbed the last 8 size but it's with an oil resistant sole as opposed to a leather sole.

Was it worth it?

Yes, partly because I got a W+H "substitute" at half the price and also the Dayton guarantee of excellent craftsmanship. W+H didn't just choose any random boot maker to do a collab with, Dayton has been around and is tried and true. The construction is impeccable according to many people and I'm just stoked to have a Dayton boot now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads