• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Watch Thread (Pre-1990's watches only)

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am started this thread because there seemed to me to be a hole in the SF community for vintage watch enthusiasts. Please feel free to post about all things vintage watches: movements pics, cases, straps, drooling and such.

I chose the 1990's as the cut off because, well, its 30 years ago and was the mainstream introduction and use of sapphire crystals.

Also if you have a piece to sell, we could also use this thread as a B/S/T for those looking to unload or add to your collections, source for vintage straps and parts if need be.

I am excited to see what you are collecting!

-DL

Last edited:

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an inaugural post I am posting a very recent acquisition of a 1970's Gallet Chronograph with an EP-40 movement and what I am dubbing a Andes Mint Chocolate dial.

IMG_7750.JPG

-DL

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not selling right now, but I have a handful pre-90s, and that's really what I love. These pictures have all been posted in the regular watch thread, but:

Omega 145.017 with the 860 movement:
1582650876505.png

Omega 105.005 on a custom fob by @DavidLane My picture taking skills are poor, and I didn't capture the mint sunburst main dial and concentric circles in the subdials, nor the warmth of the dial:

1582650947287.png

IWC from the early 70s with the Pellaton 8541B movement:
1582651347418.png

emptym

Reaction score
Great thread idea. I'm a big fan of vintage watches, mainly because of the smaller size. Perhaps not in the same league as the watches above, but I really like older, US-made watches, particularly ones by Waltham, since I lived in the town Waltham and my grandfather wore them:
1200.jpeg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a thing for older dive watches... here are a couple of mine:

Early '80s:

Late '80s:

This one is from '92, but I think that it's close enough:

I no longer have this Heuer Night Diver, but it was a great fitting one:

And a Zodiac Night Diver from the same time period as the Heuer and with the same Monnin case:

Opethian

Reaction score

Early '80s:

Late '80s:

And a Zodiac Night Diver from the same time period as the Heuer and with the same Monnin case:

I love vintage Zodiacs.. Great watches really

Opethian

Reaction score
Love the Pie Pan dials. Super sharp case too.
The condition on this watch is amazing! I will try to get a better shot.
Omega logo etched in the Plexiglass and super sharp case.
Thanks for the thread too, I have a few vintage pieces that I will be sharing over the next few days

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Early '80s:

Late '80s:

The lugs on that Heuer Night Diver are awesome.

-DL

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The condition on this watch is amazing! I will try to get a better shot.
Omega logo etched in the Plexiglass and super sharp case.
Thanks for the thread too, I have a few vintage pieces that I will be sharing over the next few days

Awesome, the more images the merrier. I just bought a lot from an estate that has panned out incredibly. Including the Gallet above along with a couple of Helbros and another Gallet with the Valjoux 72.

-DL

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread idea. I'm a big fan of vintage watches, mainly because of the size. Perhaps not in the same league as the watches above, but I really like older US-made watches, like these Walthams:
View attachment 1344055

Waltham is a great company with a cool history as well. They had the contract for the Fifty Fathoms, and there are a few out there. Awesome stuff. I agree on the smaller sizes as well, I have a larger wrist nearly 8" and much prefer 36-38mm watches.

-DL

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not selling right now, but I have a handful pre-90s, and that's really what I love. These pictures have all been posted in the regular watch thread, but:

Omega 145.017 with the 860 movement:
View attachment 1344023

Omega 105.005 on a custom fob by @DavidLane My picture taking skills are poor, and I didn't capture the mint sunburst main dial and concentric circles in the subdials, nor the warmth of the dial:

View attachment 1344024

IWC from the early 70s with the Pellaton 8541B movement:
View attachment 1344035

Fok, you have found some beautiful stuff. The condition of the black dial Omega is insane. Fits your wrist well. I definitely have a thing for chronographs, not sure why. Its tough to make a complex dial work, and the 60's-70's chronos are the best imho.

-DL

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fok, you have found some beautiful stuff. The condition of the black dial Omega is insane. Fits your wrist well. I definitely have a thing for chronographs, not sure why. Its tough to make a complex dial work, and the 60's-70's chronos are the best imho.

-DL
And it will look awesome on my new stingray fob as well!

Ands thanks. Yeah, it's a beauty. What I love about vintage watches is a combination of the vast array of amazing choices plus the actual scarcity of some of these rare references that makes the hunt all the more enjoyable.

Getting something that is single owner (the gold plated one), or NOS, maybe with some history, is just really, really, satisfying.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads