• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Usain Bolt!!!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a talent. I read that he won the Gold in the 100M already.

I did catch one of the qualifying rounds last night. It looked like he was just jogging fast, and still broke the 10 seconds mark. What a remarkable specimen of a man.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing I really like about the 100m final (other than Bolt) is the generally festive mood among participants and/or how flamboyant they were pre-race. No real anxiety to be seen, just guys having a great time.

Unlike gymnastics or even swimming events.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and having just watched the NBC primetime coverage of the men's 100m dash (I watched a blurry YouTube video of it this morning), I have to say that Bolt was beyond incredible, but he seems like an arrogant douchebag.

I don't like false modesty (sometimes the interviewers annoy me by asking "How did you win?" when the answer is simply, "I was stronger than everyone else"), but it's possible to acknowledge your own achievement without indulging in excessive self-love before a worldwide audience.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
That was one of the most phenomenal things I've seen in the Olympics thus far. Absolutely unreal.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
That was one of the most phenomenal things I've seen in the Olympics thus far. Absolutely unreal.

Despite what I said about his attitude, yeah, +1. How much faster can these new generations of athletes get? I mean, what's the human limit for the 100m dash? 9.50? 9.45? Everyone was stunned when Bolt got 9.72 a while back.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
If only he ran his fastest all the way through so we could really see how fat he can clock in.

Reading the blurb online, what I was left with was that the guy, though ripe for the obvious nickname 'Lightning', was a bit of a douche for dogging it at the end and celebrating prematurely because he'd already beaten the field. Shouldn't you try to beat the clock regardless? But maybe I'm being unfair; I can accept that in a team sport or certain individual sports, once you know you've won, no need to kill yourself and humiliate the opponent... but T&F strikes me as different somehow. Am I off-base?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Despite what I said about his attitude, yeah, +1. How much faster can these new generations of athletes get? I mean, what's the human limit for the 100m dash? 9.50? 9.45? Everyone was stunned when Bolt got 9.72 a while back.

I kind of like athletes who are a little arrogant sometimes, though too much of that gets old really, really fast. But yeah, the most amazing thing to me is that he beat (his) world record while actually decelerating for the last 20m. That's just unreal. What's his ceiling (or should we say floor)?!

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and having just watched the NBC primetime coverage of the men's 100m dash (I watched a blurry YouTube video of it this morning), I have to say that Bolt was beyond incredible, but he seems like an arrogant douchebag.

I don't like false modesty (sometimes the interviewers annoy me by asking "How did you win?" when the answer is simply, "I was stronger than everyone else"), but it's possible to acknowledge your own achievement without indulging in excessive self-love before a worldwide audience.

This is a joke right?
I was probably a douchebag at 21 and I wasn't the fastest man on the planet. The guy is just supremely confident and he has every right to be.
He is a young carefree guy just having fun but I suppose people will find fault with anyone successful.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I kind of like athletes who are a little arrogant sometimes, though too much of that gets old really, really fast. But yeah, the most amazing thing to me is that he beat (his) world record while actually decelerating for the last 20m. That's just unreal. What's his ceiling (or should we say floor)?!
More amazing is that his record of 9.72 seconds was set with a strong tailwind, while his medal-winning 9.69 was achieved with no tailwind at all. I'm sure he could break 9.60 at least. And his body is probably still maturing. Who knows what times he'll be posting by 2012.
Originally Posted by benecios
This is a joke right? I was probably a douchebag at 21 and I wasn't the fastest man on the planet. The guy is just supremely confident and he has every right to be. He is a young carefree guy just having fun but I suppose people will find fault with anyone successful.
I understand what you're saying, and confidence is certainly a necessary ingredient to that kind of success, but I'm of the perhaps unpopular opinion that a guy should display some class no matter how gifted he is, especially when he's representing his country before the watching eyes of the entire world. And frankly, I think his country deserves for him to give it his all against the clock, even if everyone else trips on their own shoelaces and he can jog to victory. Not to sound like I'm up his ass, but Phelps won, what, six golds at the age of 19? Younger than Bolt, and he didn't bang his chest and strike cocky poses repeatedly for the cameras. I'm a young guy myself. It isn't about age; it's about maturity. Of course it's easy for elite athletes to be cocky. And maybe I'm being too hard on him. But arrogance and narcissism aren't essential ingredients; it is possible to be a great athlete while being also a great man, and that means practicing restraint and humility when you could do otherwise.

GTR

Reaction score
Not to sound like I'm up his ass, but Phelps won, what, six golds at the age of 19? Younger than Bolt, and he didn't bang his chest and strike cocky poses repeatedly for the cameras. I'm a young guy myself. It isn't about age; it's about maturity.
You're a joke. Bolt won one of the premier Olympic gold medals. Have you ever watched a 100m final before? All the winners behave that way.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more.
Phelps and Bolt are both great (young) men.

Both should feel free to celebrate their victories how they feel fit though.
I suspect years from now Bolt will look back and wish he'd not 'eased up' at the end.
(In life one only gets so many chances.)
That's his perogative and his right to learn life's lessons on his own time.
Only time will tell and only he will know for sure.
Btw, no one died, was maimed or left financially less secure by his 'celebration'.
I think no less of him.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, and confidence is certainly a necessary ingredient to that kind of success, but I'm of the perhaps unpopular opinion that a guy should display some class no matter how gifted he is, especially when he's representing his country before the watching eyes of the entire world. And frankly, I think his country deserves for him to give it his all against the clock, even if everyone else trips on their own shoelaces and he can jog to victory.

Not to sound like I'm up his ass, but Phelps won, what, six golds at the age of 19? Younger than Bolt, and he didn't bang his chest and strike cocky poses repeatedly for the cameras. I'm a young guy myself. It isn't about age; it's about maturity.

Of course it's easy for elite athletes to be cocky. And maybe I'm being too hard on him. But arrogance and narcissism aren't essential ingredients; it is possible to be a great athlete while being also a great man, and that means practicing restraint and humility when you could do otherwise.

You seem so conflicted. LOL

Back to Bolt. He obliterated that field. Outstanding. Now, let's hope he doesn't pull a Ben Johnson. The public's confidence in Olympic track and field, especially the sprints, is at an all time low.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SanDiegoMD