• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I hear you, but when it comes to investing heavily in just one special one...I insist on certain proportions* . :)

*(and dial colour)

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One has to wondering what out-growing Patek and Lange might entail.

For me, it looks like this:

http://www.rgmwatches.com/collections/American Made/CA20.php

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I know someone who outgrew Panerai. He used to have thirty-two Panerai watches, but said he'd grow listless wearing one of them that he'd switch out twice or thrice a day. Sold them all off and now has two Pateks and two Langes as part of his weekly rotation. He says "less is more." Acquisition and disposition schedule probably helped along by the fact that he buys and sells watches for a living.

Who knows, perhaps he will outgrow his current stable too. All part of personal evolution, I suppose.
I've had friends who have sold off big collections (Panerai and VC), and each went on to build smaller but more focused collections. The Panerai guy went on to buy VC and Langes, while the VC guy bought a tourbillon from an indy and a few high end VCs. Each seems happier with their smaller collections, as they now really wear all of their watches a lot.
I only have 1 and I never wear it anymore - and it's not like I have a lot of other watches. Interestingly, a guy I know in the watch selling biz told me that in his experience many people get so used to the larger size that they can't go back to their smaller watches, warning me that if I got a PAM I might lose interest in my sub.

But to the contrary, a year after geting a Luminor, I got a Mk XV (not only smaller than the PAM, but smaller than the sub too) and I now prefer both of these 'smaller' watches.

[SPAM] While I haven't made any effort to sell it as I still enjoy the look of it, if anyone in Copenhagen is interested in a PAM 177, feel free to drop me a PM. [/SPAM]
I hear a lot of PAM owners have trouble wearing anything under 44mm after owning one. However, a good friend of mine bought a Panerai several years ago, and has since decided he prefers more average sized watches.
As for your haikus... let me share something I've come to realise over the last few months.

I know that I've been less than complementary towards PAM in the past (scathing, actually), so this is going to sound weird - but I think I'm actually starting to get the whole PAM thing.

I was at a friend's place recently, shooting the **** with his dad. This man is a watch collector, with a few rare birds in his collection (anyone here know what a PP "hourglass" is?) and was fortunate to have been most active in collecting when things were still affordable - from the 70s to the early 90s. Bottom line is that he has a very nice watch collection. Anyway, this man's daily beater is, of all things, a PAM - a Radiomir 8 day power reserve to be exact. I was genuinely puzzled. Here was a guy who had all sorts of amazing watches, was able to literally choose from a tray of PPs, and he chooses for his daily wearer... a PAM? So I asked him about it.

He didn't say a word. Instead he took his watch off, and handed it to me. I strapped it on, looked down, and broke into a grin. A big grin. At that moment I realised that PAMs are the watch equivalent of a big juicy burger which just hits the spot and satisfies. Sure I wouldn't mind a gourmet cooked meal, made with finesse and care. But you know what? I couldn't eat that stuff every single day for every single meal. Some people can, more power to them. But sometimes I really do feel like a burger. Not a frou frou burger with an A5 wagyu patty, foie gras and gold leaf, but a honest to goodness burger with the works - 2 slabs of tasty mince, bacon, fried onions, a fried egg, lettuce, slabs of tomato, etc.

So like a burger, their appeal lies in their accessibility. This in turn explains a great deal of their success. There are douches all around us, and God knows lots of these douches choose to wear watches. God knows lots of these douches sport PAMs. But am I going to let the fact that the douche wears a PAM prevent me from recognising their appeal? Wearing one? Hell no. I'm going to wear what I like.

Hmm, I'm hungry now. Off to get a burger...

Entertaining story, however I find it pretty common for people with high end watches to wear a sporty, less expensive watch such as an IWC, Rolex or PAM for daily wear. As for burgers (or any other food), you would be tired of them if you had to eat them every day for every meal. There is something to be said for variety with any thing, whether its food, watches, cars, or even friends. Friends who collect often say, "Watch X is their grail and when they get it, they are not buying any more watches." However, very few follow through with that statement...they like having choices and variety (and watch collecting is a tough addiction to break).

I've tried on several PAMs over the years. I really like the case shape, as its a nice change from the sea of round sports watches on the market. However, I've never fallen in love with one enough to make me pull the trigger. By the time I consider their cost I almost always find something I'd rather own for the same money. I've looked at them, tried them on numerous times, researched them, etc, so I think I get it, but I also get that its just not for me.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Kai,

Interesting as it is, at the end of the day that's still a production model, and not that crazy a price (especially for you big shots). I think the interesting bit, if we take Mr Murphy as the example, is when you start coming up with your own ideas and specs. Bespoke is where it's at! Today RGM, tomorrow VC...?

Last edited:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Limited Edition or Antique step in between?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One has to wondering what out-growing Patek and Lange might entail.
That seems like it would take something really amazing...although I have to admit I really like Kai's choice of RGM as a response to your question.
That's stunning!
Kai,

Interesting as it is, at the end of the day that's still a production model, and not that crazy a price (especially for you big shots). I think the interesting bit, if we take Mr Murphy as the example, is when you start coming up with your own ideas and specs. Bespoke is where it's at! Today RGM, tomorrow VC...?

If one is going to outgrow Patek and Lange, perhaps it is for a one of one bespoke watch. VC offers everything from simply working with you to make a customized version of a current production model to something that starts from scratch, with your limits being merely your bank account.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kai - do you see an RGM in your future?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VC offers everything from simply working with you to make a customized version of a current production model to something that starts from scratch, with your limits being merely your bank account. 

So what if my bank account already precludes me from 90% of the VC production catalog? Do they answer the phone?

nocommando

Reaction score
Wow you guys go with crazy stuff really...

I'll post my daily one, even though it's never somewhere near any of those you guys show off!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I really like Kai's choice of RGM

If one is going to outgrow Patek and Lange, perhaps it is for a one of one bespoke watch. VC offers everything from simply working with you to make a customized version of a current production model to something that starts from scratch, with your limits being merely your bank account.

Yes exactly. And I love what RGM is doing too. I think if one were "going bespoke" in watches, RGM might be a great place to start - especially if you're East Coast American. A great chance to be involved in the process.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Wow you guys go with crazy stuff really...

I'll post my daily one, even though it's never somewhere near any of those you guys show off!

That's cool. And not everyone around here is a high-roller; me I'm just a bum. My "collection" is one scruffy vintage Omega, a Saddam Hussein-themed curiosity and a couple of quartz beaters. So you're definitely one level up! This is the thread where it's all above the desire for beauty, whether you're getting laid or not, so to speak...

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cool fact: Despite reading this thread for a while, there are still only two watches that I really want, and they are the same ones I have wanted for a while --
1: A 36mm Rolex Explorer I
2: A VC dress watch in white gold (the Patrimony Extra-plate).

After that, I think I could like the AP Royal Oak re-issue or a basic Nautilus, but neither of those watches really eat away at my resistance. In the meantime, I continue to wear a 1953 Omega Constellation bumper wind every day and occasionally slip on a red gold Minerva Cal 49, 2000 SE. I think I will get one of my old cal. 321 Speedys refurbished and brought up to daily use reliability.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what if my bank account already precludes me from 90% of the VC production catalog? Do they answer the phone?
The switchboard operator connects you to a small facility in China where you can get a customized Valchereen Codstandeen. It has decorative chronograph pushers that do not work, but it will fool a few folks on 42 Street. Valchereen usually has an AD selling watches from his trench coat in your nearest subway station.

nocommando

Reaction score
The thread should be renamed something like Watch P0rn, 'cause that's really what it is!

Here's one to my personal taste, Baume & Mercier Capeland in Red Gold
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads