Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

^^ Nice.

One from left field:

[​IMG]

Man-sized world timer on black shell cordovan strap, and should be well within budget. New in-house movement for nerd satisfction. The world time function makes it quite "businessman" and therefore suit-suitable, while making the dial more interesting and a touch less formal (I think) than a straight three-hander. The cordovan strap is black, which is formal, but relatively thick and masculine so wouldn't look odd with jeans.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

'Grats on the latest babies, Belligero. I especially love this beauty. Cushion cases FTW, not very common or as appreciated by others but wow, once you have one on your wrist it's something else.

3. Khal80

Khal80 Active Member

Cushion case GP----wow

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Spotted today: 5711/1A trying to keep up with a 3.5 year old and 20 month old, splashing around in a mix of sand and water. May have been dunked in water and sand repeatedly and may have picked up a few scratches. Ah, the price of fun memories with the kids!

[​IMG]

5. Zephyrnoid

Zephyrnoid Active Member

6. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Spied this beaut in the main case in Shreve in Boston...tried on the European Memovox Deep Sea and I'm in love. Hoping for 10k level as time goes on.

[​IMG]

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

A watch blog recently answered your very question quite comprehensively - http://thesydneytarts.blogspot.com.au/

For me the standout in terms of looks will have to be:

[​IMG]

Details on this exact model are a little sketchy at present, but it's expect to retail around $3000 AFAIK. 41mm, so large but not overly large too IMO.

Finally, avoid the B&Rs mentioned on the blog, they look like JLC Deepsea ripoffs IMO.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A little odd looking, but I agree if they made it a normal 2 hand watch it could have some real potential. I'm not usually into Indies, but Peter Speak-Marin's watches really intrigue me. I've only had an opportunity to try one on once several years ago.

The cushion shaped GP is HOT! Really gives it presence and makes it stand out in a sea of round chronographs. Awesome choice from a great but frequently under appreciated brand!

The diver is very funky and again quite different from the usual diving designs we see.

Congrats on these beautiful new additions. Enjoy them.

In general I adore JLCs, but i tried on the Deep Sea and it left me feeling rather underwhelmed and disappointed.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Belligero - very very nice.
    its cool, you can be a douche in a GP too. :devil:
    love that.

10. in stitches

yes, he is one of the few indies whos stuff i really like.

11. ncc1701d

ncc1701d Well-Known Member

Please let us know how you get on with this. It's something I'm trying to get too. How long before they're down to 10k level you think?

12. Khal80

Khal80 Active Member

Great read..

Out of the list these caught my eye

• Mühle-Glashütte Teutonia II Tag Datum
    • Frederique Constant Slimline Moonphase
    • Alpina 130 Heritage Chrono
    • Bell & Ross 123 Sport Vintage

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

Very nice! Congratulations are in order. I tried on the GP some time ago, but decided the case was a little too thick for me. A shame as I really liked its face. I hope both watches bring you much joy, and always a smile to your face with the passage of time.

As for your haikus... let me share something I've come to realise over the last few months.

I know that I've been less than complementary towards PAM in the past (scathing, actually), so this is going to sound weird - but I think I'm actually starting to get the whole PAM thing.

I was at a friend's place recently, shooting the shit with his dad. This man is a watch collector, with a few rare birds in his collection (anyone here know what a PP "hourglass" is?) and was fortunate to have been most active in collecting when things were still affordable - from the 70s to the early 90s. Bottom line is that he has a very nice watch collection. Anyway, this man's daily beater is, of all things, a PAM - a Radiomir 8 day power reserve to be exact. I was genuinely puzzled. Here was a guy who had all sorts of amazing watches, was able to literally choose from a tray of PPs, and he chooses for his daily wearer... a PAM? So I asked him about it.

He didn't say a word. Instead he took his watch off, and handed it to me. I strapped it on, looked down, and broke into a grin. A big grin. At that moment I realised that PAMs are the watch equivalent of a big juicy burger which just hits the spot and satisfies. Sure I wouldn't mind a gourmet cooked meal, made with finesse and care. But you know what? I couldn't eat that stuff every single day for every single meal. Some people can, more power to them. But sometimes I really do feel like a burger. Not a frou frou burger with an A5 wagyu patty, foie gras and gold leaf, but a honest to goodness burger with the works - 2 slabs of tasty mince, bacon, fried onions, a fried egg, lettuce, slabs of tomato, etc.

So like a burger, their appeal lies in their accessibility. This in turn explains a great deal of their success. There are douches all around us, and God knows lots of these douches choose to wear watches. God knows lots of these douches sport PAMs. But am I going to let the fact that the douche wears a PAM prevent me from recognising their appeal? Wearing one? Hell no. I'm going to wear what I like.

Hmm, I'm hungry now. Off to get a burger...

14. in stitches

welcome

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Well spoken

This is how it usually starts. It's okay not to get the whole Panerai thing. But God help you if you do..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.