The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cool fact: Despite reading this thread for a while, there are still only two watches that I really want, and they are the same ones I have wanted for a while --
    1: A 36mm Rolex Explorer I
    2: A VC dress watch in white gold (the Patrimony Extra-plate).

After that, I think I could like the AP Royal Oak re-issue or a basic Nautilus, but neither of those watches really eat away at my resistance. In the meantime, I continue to wear a 1953 Omega Constellation bumper wind every day and occasionally slip on a red gold Minerva Cal 49, 2000 SE. I think I will get one of my old cal. 321 Speedys refurbished and brought up to daily use reliability.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The switchboard operator connects you to a small facility in China where you can get a customized Valchereen Codstandeen. It has decorative chronograph pushers that do not work, but it will fool a few folks on 42 Street. Valchereen usually has an AD selling watches from his trench coat in your nearest subway station.

3. nocommando

nocommando Member

The thread should be renamed something like Watch P0rn, 'cause that's really what it is!

Here's one to my personal taste, Baume & Mercier Capeland in Red Gold [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

There's a poor mans watch thread in sw&d

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

[​IMG] Also, Roger is a nice man.

For all the wonders in this thread (and in dreamland, Lange is the maker that I get, well, "Frilly" about), I certainly get your taste. A simple black Sub is probably top of my list (GMT or Explorer possible alternatives), and some kind of alternative dress watch with small seconds - of which the Patrimony is a lovely example. The RO or even a Nauti are definitely appealing, but each a step up in turn so probably for the more distant future/titillation only.

I could introduce you to my surprisingly wealthy Nigerian cousin who has a great business proposal for a man of your standing....

I think that's what it was called originally..now it bears the delightful acronym "TWAT". I think the Capeland is pretty too, and especially in rose gold. But one problem with hanging around here is that your tastes will get more expensive by the week!

Elitist ! Don't be sending people over to SWD. It's a thoroughly inferior place. Classic is for gentlemen. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] I am really excited about his business proposal. I'm sure ChicagoRon will want to get in on this deal so he can finance his bespoke VC....what were the details again...if we each give him $150,000 in cash just to cover some taxes and fees, he will pay each of us $1.5 Million when his own funds clear? I can hardly wait to get started. I am hoping this deal will pay off my debt for that bridge I bought a few years ago.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

were we talking about panerai before?

[​IMG]

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

No Stitch, I don't think that's been mentioned for quite a while. Not much call for it around here...

(Forgive my ignorance, is that the 356? And is it for sale? With or without the shoes this time?)

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I don't like that other thread. Seems like it would elicit a ton of questions regarding which <$200 watch is "best". Just get what you think looks good on your wrist at that price point. Here there is at least talk of better watches even if only a select few of us can afford them.

I will comment on PAM though. I like the style of the watches, size, and most dials. My only issue is the large number of pieces with seemingly small variations that get different model numbers. I can't keep up which would make finding the one I like tough. Though I did look at the 8-day mentioned previously and I do like that. Something about have a reserve gauge on the face that I like but I know not everyone does.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

^^ Agree with all of the above. And everyone's definition of "poor man" is different. There are plenty of obscure vintage pieces or less celebrated makers popping up on this thread. Anyway, whether it's a $250k Breguet minute repeater or a sub $1k Stowa, it's nice to dream isn't it?

There is only one TWAT. Stay on the CM side where it's nice.

(And I also like those linear power reserve indicators on the face, although the ones on the back of the movement strike me as a bit impractical, if a charming oddity).

Exhibit A: Rich Man
    [​IMG]

Exhibit B: Not-Rich-Man
    [​IMG]

Verdict: both TWAT-friendly

12. nocommando

nocommando Member

Wow... that Breguet is complicated! But I'd take the Stowa and buy me a new car and house with the 249K $ left... [​IMG]

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Ha, then you are on the wrong thread. :sly:

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't really see the RO o Nautilus as a step up over the Explorer 1. As sport watches, which is what I really want, they are inferior (not as legible and likely not as sturdy). What they have is interesting, singular design, in a style that appeals to me. This is the VC that I want. It is no longer in production but I should be able to find it if I really looked:
    I continue to think it superior to every other dress watch I have seen.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ that VC truly is lovely ^^

yup, that is the 356 and it is for sale. no shoes on this one though.

here are some more pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.