• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked a buddy of mine who used to be a Green Beret a question on this awhile back. He said 90% of SpecOps wore G-Shocks.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Very rude about the Air Force there. Though I did once get delayed in Iraq when the RAF helicopter pilot wouldn't fly because he'd cut his finger on a tube of Pringles. True story.

My father and grandfather both wore light blue, and never suffered any snack-related impairment that I am aware of. Maybe it's just pilots?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mimo - No true offense intended to our flyboys. My wife's cousin and her fiance who are both Master Sergeants in the Air Force were recently staying with us for a visit and I always get extra motivated and belt-fed when they are in town - I make sure our guest room is filled with Marine Corps memorabilia, the EGA is flying high on our flagpole outside, and the jokes just keep on flowing for a few days after they are gone.

FWIW, (and to keep this somewhat watch-related) I don't think either of them wore a watch at anytime during their stay - Hello Kitty, diver, pilot, or otherwise.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up my 1965 Datejust last week from the overhaul prompted by water getting inside. It is running fine, but I have a couple of questions.

First, the date wheel now has rust spots. I asked about it when I picked it up and was told I would have to find a replacement. Is it correct that a repair/service center can't remove rust from a date wheel?

Also, the dial has water spots visible to the naked eye. Should I expect those to have been cleaned up during service or is that impossible? Is my only option a replacement dial if the spots bother me?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that does not sound like a proper service. I am also surprised they wouldn't have a new date wheel. Was it serviced by Rolex Service Center or a third party?

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I misread the post. I thought it was the crystal with the water spots and I am not sure if they can clean those or it is a dial replacement. It is not an easy call to swap out the dial since it's no longer original but I would think it would have to go to an RSC for those parts.

cs12

Reaction score

I picked up my 1965 Datejust last week from the overhaul prompted by water getting inside. It is running fine, but I have a couple of questions.

First, the date wheel now has rust spots. I asked about it when I picked it up and was told I would have to find a replacement. Is it correct that a repair/service center can't remove rust from a date wheel?

Also, the dial has water spots visible to the naked eye. Should I expect those to have been cleaned up during service or is that impossible? Is my only option a replacement dial if the spots bother me?

If it's from 1965 the service centre may not want to just replace bits.

I am sure they could replace parts with modern equivalents but that would devalue the watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suppose technically it depends on what one defines as service vs restoration. To me a service/overhaul is basically opening the watch, disassembling, cleaning, lubricating, reassembling the movement, replacing worn gaskets and reassembling the watch. You already knew the crystal was cracked, so I presume they had your authority to replace that. However, to do more than what I mentioned, I would presume that they would need to contact you with an estimate for the cost of other optional items to be replaced, and or the additional labor required if refinishing.

Its possible that the rust already stained the dial and would not simple wipe away. Its possible that without actually replacing/refinishing the dial and date wheel there was nothing more they could do. Its something only a person who worked on the watch could tell you. However, I've seen lots of older dials that have some water spots here and there, so I think often unless its really bad people just live with it. Refinishing the dial is a delicate job, and it can improve the cosmetics of a watch, but it does lower the value as does replacing the dial. Your third party service center, and even Rolex itself might not have a replacement dial/date wheel for a 50 year old watch. I don't think most companies expected their watches to last that long and to need a stock of parts for items that old. Although, many companies will work on watches regardless of age, most do not guarantee a stock of parts for watches that have been out of production for say 20-30 years or me. Also, vintage dials from manufacturers are a tricky thing these days as they are not allowed to sell dials with tritium (at least in the US), so if they had a dial for your watch it would be a newer one with superluminova.

You may have to search the on line to look for a NOS replacement dial & date wheel if you go that route, or you could get them refinished. Those are your only options other than just living with it the spots. Wishing you luck on whatever you decide.

I misread the post. I thought it was the crystal with the water spots and I am not sure if they can clean those or it is a dial replacement. It is not an easy call to swap out the dial since it's no longer original but I would think it would have to go to an RSC for those parts.

Even RSC may not have the parts with a watch that is 50 years old. In addition, if the dial had tritium, they can't replace it with a 50 year old tritium dial (at least not in the US). It would be a newer service dial with superluminova. As others pointed out, most options to hurt the originality of the watch and therefore its value, however in its current state its value is also compromised. Which is the most damaging to the watch's value is tough to say.
If it's from 1965 the service centre may not want to just replace bits.

I am sure they could replace parts with modern equivalents but that would devalue the watch.
I'm not sure how RSC would look at just replacing parts on a watch serviced by someone else. One would have to contact them to find out.

Yes, refinishing the dial or a modern replacement hurts the value...although in its compromised state its value is already hurt. I would find it a difficult position to be in if I were the OP.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, I came to the conclusion that they did the best they could to get it running while retaining originality. I just wanted confirmation.

I will see if I can find a period correct replacement dial and date wheel, but live with the water damage in the meantime. Resale value is not an issue as it is a birth year watch that I will keep. I would like it as clean as possible if I can find a replacement dial and/or date wheel.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
+1 - love seeing old-timers. You may learn to love the imperfections and see it as part of the watch's history.

Last edited:

cs12

Reaction score
I'm not sure how RSC would look at just replacing parts on a watch serviced by someone else. One would have to contact them to find out.

Yes, refinishing the dial or a modern replacement hurts the value...although in its compromised state its value is already hurt. I would find it a difficult position to be in if I were the OP.

I am not a 100% sure but its my understanding that as long as Original Rolex parts have been used RSC will work on the watch.

They will take any modifications you have made and return them to factory standard for example if you had a Normal Sub which you had replaced the Black Dial with the Green dial, if you asked RSC to service it they would replace it back to Black Bezel.

I think if your watch is vintage and the value is in the fact it is vintage most people would go independent as there have been cases of Rolex accidentally replacing Vintage parts with new ones.

No offence to the OP but it probably wont affect the value so much on his watch, but can you imagine if at Service the dial was replaced on a Comex or Explorer 2 with the spiderweb cracking how much that would devalue the watch.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning, gents. My latest, and proudest, acquisition...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CMT, that JLC looks superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur