• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 3-4k I'd go with a Speedmaster or Black Bay and pick up a variety of straps for swapping.

Both have black faces though. If you're willing to go used you can likely get an Explorer 1....black face again but very legible.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought this Jaeger LeCoultre for my wife, an example of what good value second hand jewellery watches are.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Krish the Fish Good call on the Black Bay - buy it on the bracelet and get a strap or two to swap in. I think for a younger guy who's not confined to strict business dress, it's a beauty. I like the idea of the Speedmaster too - maybe the date/day-date with the silver dial and polished bezel, which I think make it a bit more subtle for dress use i.e. no sporty contrast in the dial. If you like Omega, I think it might be worth going up a notch to the Aqua Terra, personally. But if you don't mind used, then I agree with Belligero: a vintage DateJust or Oyster Perpetual is a design classic that will always look good in any situation.

@chanoch I think you might take a look at the standard Nomos Orion: 35mm sounds small, but the long lugs make it wear bigger, I'm told, and to put that into perspective, the Omega in my pic is the same size, and my wrist is just over 7" i.e. pretty average. The Orion has such a clean, classic Bauhaus design and the proportions are perfect I think. It's also a little under your minimum price there. I love the Zurich for the same reasons, but I suspect the 40mm size plus the lugs will sit strangely on a smaller wrist, and that's at the top of your range, too. Depending on the style you like, I think Nomos is king for something simple and formal, but a chronograph or something else more sporty while still on a strap, gives you lots of options from Muehle, Union or Tutima. If you'll consider used, then you might just about find something interesting and vintage from Glashuette Original, or even something quirky from the Communist era. Or, if you don't want to spend all your dough, there's always Stowa or Sinn for great value.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I just bought this Jaeger LeCoultre for my wife, an example of what good value second hand jewellery watches are.

I attend a fair number of auctions and women's watches in general seem to languish.

Yeah. My beloved, by coincidence, has just sent me this link, with the comment "very pretty"...I'm wondering if she should marry Frilly.

chanoch

Reaction score
Thanks for these very helpful suggestions. The Stowa also interested me, and that's how I started thinking about the Nomos, which is very similar in style but from what I've read perhaps a bit better in quality. I do like it. The Sinn Classics are nice, but the 36 may be a bit small and the 42-44s are too big -- and not as interesting as the Nomos, I think, though just as clean looking. Appreciate the tip about the size of the lugs on the Nomos watches, as I was wondering about that. I have to find someplace to try one on, which hasn't been easy.

Do you (or anyone here) know anything about the quality of those two offbeat used Tourneau watches I mentioned? I found out that they listed for $5K when they came out 12 or so years ago. Even with the hike in gold prices, $4K sounds high to me for a used watch, unless the movement is something really special.

chanoch

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Have a really hard time with the black face watches, as much as I like the look in the showroom. Probably the gray hair problem affecting my night vision ... can't seem to persuade my optometrist that my eyes are getting older they're getting better.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Krish, that Rolex that Belli offered is a great option, so is the Nomos. Id also consider a pre-owned Sub.

NS - Damn. Just. Damn.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All these rose gold talk and pics...

... I thought I was gon' be done for the year...

:confused:

:brick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics