1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academe

academe Senior member

I kinda like it. Is the off-centre blue/red/white dial between 12 and 1 o'clock the "Gangreserve"? What attracts you to this one relative to other NOMOS offerings? I quite fancy the Zurich blaugold or braungold myself. The chocolate dial of the braungold is very warm:

[​IMG]

...And for the price, they have finished the movement quite well:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Today's choice. Plexi is sexi.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Thanks, stich! I bought two AP plaques when a local AD closed shop a couple of years ago. Not sure about the vintage, I'm guessing 70s. Picked up a Patek dealer sign and a small Omega Speedmaster thingy as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a small Rolex altar :embar:

[​IMG]

And other trinkets ...

[​IMG]

Sorry about the insane sizes of these pictures. Something up with my Photobucket ...

6 people like this.
  4. apropos

apropos Senior member

I like...

- the hands, and the way they align perfectly on the minute markers or the hour dots.
    - yes that is a gangreserve, on a manual winder. Which makes perfect sense to me. The off centre-ness makes sense to me and I feel it balances out the branding opposite to it.
    - the little splashes of colour on the silver dial, as opposed to a coloured dial.
    - the lugs are different, a bit more rounded looking? I like them. Afaik other nomos have more angular lugs.

... So yeah, that's why I like it. Tbh I'm a little tired of wearing my chronos as my default casual watch and want something a little bit different. I've always admired nomos, but their older offerings have left me somewhat unmoved. This one might change that.

5. academe

academe Senior member

Got it. I was just curious, because like you, I've admired NOMOS watches from afar but never enough to buy one yet. Never mind the fact that I'm trying hard to stay on track for my next (big) watch acquisition. :smarmy: The Zurich Worldtime has been on my radar as have the newer blau/braun-dialed Zurich watches, but I hadn't seen the Metro until you posted a pic of it here.

6. academe

academe Senior member

That's a small altar? :bounce2:

7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I like the Zurich line in theory, but with the case size and the length of the lugs, the lugs hang over my wrist. It's a real bummer as I was ready to pull the trigger on a Weltzeit until I had it on my wrist.

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

^^ I did wonder about that. The dials look so lovely, but I've heard they wear pretty big. I'm thinking the 38mm Orion might hit a sweet spot, and I love the blued hands too. Not so keen on this new "Metro" - the layout is great, but this signature light blue detailing that's in a few of their watches is really not for me. The Lambda is something to look at, though, but at 42mm that must be like a dinner plate.

NS, with this Rolex smorgasbord, the AD memorabilia and your new addition too, I can only conclude that you are one of the most deeply disturbed TWATters here. Man, I admire that.

9. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I like the way the 35mm Orion fits my wrist as a dress watch. The 38 works as well for me, I just prefer that watch in the smaller case. I think the entire lineup just needs to be tried on before making your final decision. While I really like NOMOS, most of their range simply don't work for me, which is unfortunate.

1 person likes this.
  10. cats33cats

cats33cats Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Currently on the wrist...been thinking about NOMOS recently though as a more subdued watch, would probably get a 35mm model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 people like this.
  11. academe

academe Senior member

Not the best lighting, but it's Reverso day again.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. clpotter

clpotter Member

Fellas,

Sorry to disrupt the conversation, but I wanted to reach out to everyone and run an idea past some of you.

A couple of months ago, after reading this forum and several other blogs, I thought to myself, it would be cool if someone collected all the cool stories about how people came to be the owner of their watches and start a website chronicling them all. But, I wasn't sure if there was enough of those actual stories to make the project feasible, until yesterday. I have a co-worker who was walking by and told us how the Rolex Submariner she was wearing was actually found buried in her yard, after the previous owner lost it over 20 years ago. The details she went into and the fact that the watch still worked after being buried for so long reaffirmed my thoughts that a website like that could potentially be neat. Imagine if I included images of the watch to go along with the story..

Now, let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking to monetize this idea, but would rather be a pet project because, I think this type of thing is cool.

Having said that, I've got two questions, 1) Does anyone know if a site like this already exists (I haven't found anything in my research), and 2) Do any of you all have an interesting story about how you came to be in possession of your watch and/or is there something interesting that makes it particularly special to you? If so, would you care to shoot me an email at chrslyp@aol.com?

Before I decide whether to pursue this or not, I wanted to see what people's thoughts were and whether or not you all had any stories for me. If you have an opinion, please feel free to share it in the forum or you can email it to me.

Thanks in advance.

13. academe

academe Senior member

It's a cool idea, but I wonder if it might be a bit too narrow a topic to really have a strong readership? Perhaps it might make a nice feature on an existing website or blog? Perhaps you could approach existing bloggers/WIS writers, rather than going solo?

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Today, I had a look at some things from Chronoswiss. I expected to like them, and I did, although they're all quite big for dress watches. What surprised me for the market I'm in is that the prices also seemed reasonable (normally we pay over the odds in this small town). I guess they're getting good support to establish the brand here. Check this out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bright red reflection from my phone! As you can see, a lot of detail in the finish on this 30 minute regulateur (the "Jubile" special edition, marking both thirty years of the company, and the fact that the regulateur is the model that really established them). There's a gold one too. This steel one is number 4 of 300 (see bottom of dial): I guessed that this is an attractive low number that is not suitable for more lucrative Asian markets! I liked this watch: the fat onion crown, all that guilloche action, the chunky size, and yet quite a minimalist, Germanic design, which makes sense given their history. Half close your eyes and it could be a GO. Right up my alley, anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No steel version of this Sirius small seconds in stock, so I checked out the gold version: again, quite impressive to look at, maybe even more so from the back, with those shiny gold chatons standing out. Again, there's a real German influence I think: the larger case, the clean dial with the mix of Arabic numbers and dots, and the movement finishing all rather remind me of Nomos more than anything. Which is not a bad thing. The price on the steel models is similar to a Nomos Zurich with a bit of haggling. I noticed on the gold model that the strap is superior butter-soft reptile, reminded me of Cartier's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Lunar Chronograph has a lot going on - maybe a little too much on the dial with all that guilloche work and the Arabic numbers too. It's a pretty cool lump of steel, and has a nice quality feel about it. I just wonder how long it would take to get used to reading it. It reminds me a bit of Wurger's Longines PC.

Anyway, a taste of Chronoswiss, and it doesn't taste bad. I went in there to see if they had a steel regulateur. They didn't, at least not the one I wanted to see, and I'd still like to look at it up close. But that special edition will be on the inside of my eyelids when I go to sleep tonight. And you all know what I mean. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Fantastic Mimo, thanks for taking the time :slayer:

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Not sure what you mean by luxury finished titanium watches? However, other brands such as Omega, IWC, and AP have all made watches out of Titanium, and all were well done and reasonably successful. However, its my understanding that it takes specific tools/dies to make watches out of titanium because its rather difficult to work with.

NS....I love your watch shrine! Its great seeing these watch artifacts/accessories from the past.

Sound interesting, but I think it might be tough to find some accurate/true stories about people coming to own a particular watch that is interesting enough to compile into a websites.

A few years back a book called "The Watch" by Gene Stone covered various brands and interviewed the owners to discover what got them interested in collecting, or got them interested in a particular brand. That might be similar.

17. clpotter

clpotter Member

Thanks for the feedback. Your point about the potential lack of stories was my main concern.

We'll see what happens. Cheers.

18. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

I'll take that badge of honor and wear it proudly! Thanks guys :fistbump:

You need a nice place to stash your watches when there is no more room left on your arms, you know?

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

^ NS, great indeed :nodding:

So extensive not all in focus, fabulous!

20. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Apart from the difficulty of working it, Ti tends to attract scratches and oxidize to a darker color over time. Most of the swiss makers have had to compromise by using a dull finish on their Ti. Seiko uses different types of coatings and surface-hardening on their Ti cases, depending on price point, which end up being harder than stainless. All I can truly say is that the Ti Seikos I've had look and wear better than the omega and Sinn Ti watches I've owned, and unlike the Pelagos and RO I've handled, have brighter finishes that look more like steel or platinum.

Speaking of which, here's the wrist shot with the hornback. Is it too much?

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.