1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Quote:Thanks. Don't know the model - back in the day Omega didn't designate every watch a Seamaster or DeVille or what have you. It is powered by the 30T2 hand windmovement, though. eric - very nice - love the BP.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Wow, that is a superb four-some. Excellent job. I love all four of those. Three of those are on my "to-buy" list (if I win the lottery :)). I love the RdM, such an attractive watch!

3. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

+1

Nice variety and that 79 GMT is very handsome!

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

That's how you enter this thread, people.

FOUR sexy watches... and a sexy avatar.

*slow clap*

5. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

+1. Baller!

Decided to put my money where my mouth was in the advice to Bawlin this morning. Got the Sea-Dweller out of the box. Goes pretty great with reds and Steel Rail Extra Pale. It is as hot as balls in Boston right now!

[​IMG]

6. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Love the Reserve de Marche most of the 4 lovely watches too, great collection.

7. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

Gorgeous! I love the lack of cyclops on the DSSD.

And on that note, I think I've decided on the 114060 Submariner (no date). Again, I love the lack of cyclops and how clean the dial is without the date wheel. The reduction in price is also certainly nice. And I figure once I get bored of it, I can always swap the dial for another colour.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Rolex never offered a different color dial for the No-Date Subs. They offered other color dials for the two tone (steel & gold) Sub and for the all gold Sub, but those models had a date...so you would have a big empty hole in the dial if you used one of those. Or are you speaking of an aftermarket dial of some sort?

9. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

It's probably old hat to many, but I haven't seen it in this thread yet so some of you may enjoy watching (or re-watching) it:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

In under thirty minutes, it manages to do a pretty thorough job of explaining the whole watch thing. Very candid observations from experienced collectors and dealers, too.

10. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

The Submariner is great, with or without the date feature. The price difference is negligible in the big picture, but if you prefer the no-date then there's no reason not to go for it. It's an uncompromised watch.

I'm not sure whether a dial swap is the best idea, though. And as mentioned, there's only one factory dial version for that model, anyway.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

11. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior Member

My AD texted me, my new watch is ready, the two straps of correct length I ordered arrived from Switzerland :D But I am enjoying my holiday waay too much to drive into the city and collect it. Delayed gratification was never my strong suit, good thing I brought enough wrist candy to last a week or two.

[​IMG]

12. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior Member

That is a great vid! Honest and so true. Captures both the thrill and the neurotic silliness of watch collecting. I bought a gold transitional Sub a couple of years after watching this for the first time. I actually had forgotten where I saw it featured, or at least I thought so. My mind probably had it stored away for an appropriate time when my guard was down.

13. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

A bit of Google searching turned up this information about the watch I remembered:

he world's first self-powered mechanical watch movement has been invented by American master watchmaker Steven Phillips. The mechanism, which he has trademarked as the "Eternal Winding System" (EWS), is continually powered by a temperature-sensitive bi-metallic coil.

http://www.jckonline.com/article/293586-American_Invents_Self_Powered_Mechanical_Watch_Movement.php

Apparently, this guy Phillips invented this movement, made a few watches, then died.

I'm surprised no watch companies have picked up this technology. It seems interesting.

More here:

http://www.luxurywatchswap.com/steven-phillips.php

http://people.timezone.com/library/news/news631757485905156250

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?15354-NEW-CONCEPT-ATMOS-WATCH&s=3d21ef7adb4f83c304e69005c40fb3b9

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NS - you amaze me. and the daytona looks great.

kai - cool stuff, thanks for the links.

15. larcat

larcat New Member

Hi, long time lurker, first post.

This maybe belongs in a poor man's watch thread, but I thought I would post here.

Aviator watches are, in my opinion, the best first purchase for a watch nerd. They look great with denim, and when paired with a suit give a bit of rugged flair without being out of place.

I only own one watch, pictured here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is from a gentleman named Hans Kemmner, Erkahund on Ebay. He makes the cases in Germany. Choice of either Unitas or Seagull movements. This has a Unitas. ~ $450.

Yes, I know the band is beat up. I've got a watchadoo in the mail at the moment.

Anyways, an amazing watch for the value. Only thing I know that comes in at a similar pricepoint for similar quality is the Binnacle Anchor and maybe a slightly vintage Seiko diver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.