• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
That's how you enter this thread, people.

FOUR sexy watches... and a sexy avatar.

*slow clap*

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. Baller!

Decided to put my money where my mouth was in the advice to Bawlin this morning. Got the Sea-Dweller out of the box. Goes pretty great with reds and Steel Rail Extra Pale. It is as hot as balls in Boston right now!

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm never really on SF, but this is a great thread. Here's what's been getting the heaviest wear on my wrist lately

JLC Reserve de Marche
Blancpain Villeret Ultrathin No-date 40
JLC Deepsea Chrono
1979 Rolex GMT

Wow, that is a superb four-some. Excellent job. I love all four of those. Three of those are on my "to-buy" list (if I win the lottery :)). I love the RdM, such an attractive watch!

Love the Reserve de Marche most of the 4 lovely watches too, great collection.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Baller!

Decided to put my money where my mouth was in the advice to Bawlin this morning. Got the Sea-Dweller out of the box. Goes pretty great with reds and Steel Rail Extra Pale. It is as hot as balls in Boston right now!

Gorgeous! I love the lack of cyclops on the DSSD.

And on that note, I think I've decided on the 114060 Submariner (no date). Again, I love the lack of cyclops and how clean the dial is without the date wheel. The reduction in price is also certainly nice. And I figure once I get bored of it, I can always swap the dial for another colour.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And on that note, I think I've decided on the 114060 Submariner (no date). Again, I love the lack of cyclops and how clean the dial is without the date wheel. The reduction in price is also certainly nice.

And I figure once I get bored of it, I can always swap the dial for another colour.
Rolex never offered a different color dial for the No-Date Subs. They offered other color dials for the two tone (steel & gold) Sub and for the all gold Sub, but those models had a date...so you would have a big empty hole in the dial if you used one of those. Or are you speaking of an aftermarket dial of some sort?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably old hat to many, but I haven't seen it in this thread yet so some of you may enjoy watching (or re-watching) it:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

In under thirty minutes, it manages to do a pretty thorough job of explaining the whole watch thing. Very candid observations from experienced collectors and dealers, too.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gorgeous! I love the lack of cyclops on the DSSD.

And on that note, I think I've decided on the 114060 Submariner (no date). Again, I love the lack of cyclops and how clean the dial is without the date wheel. The reduction in price is also certainly nice. And I figure once I get bored of it, I can always swap the dial for another colour.

The Submariner is great, with or without the date feature. The price difference is negligible in the big picture, but if you prefer the no-date then there's no reason not to go for it. It's an uncompromised watch.

I'm not sure whether a dial swap is the best idea, though. And as mentioned, there's only one factory dial version for that model, anyway.

Last edited:

NonServiam

Reaction score
My AD texted me, my new watch is ready, the two straps of correct length I ordered arrived from Switzerland :D But I am enjoying my holiday waay too much to drive into the city and collect it. Delayed gratification was never my strong suit, good thing I brought enough wrist candy to last a week or two.

a31655a0fd308a68c4c6a1958e2e9546_zpse5ac0686.jpg

NonServiam

Reaction score

It's probably old hat to many, but I haven't seen it in this thread yet so some of you may enjoy watching (or re-watching) it:

In under thirty minutes, it manages to do a pretty thorough job of explaining the whole watch thing. Very candid observations from experienced collectors and dealers, too.

That is a great vid! Honest and so true. Captures both the thrill and the neurotic silliness of watch collecting. I bought a gold transitional Sub a couple of years after watching this for the first time. I actually had forgotten where I saw it featured, or at least I thought so. My mind probably had it stored away for an appropriate time when my guard was down.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of Google searching turned up this information about the watch I remembered:

he world's first self-powered mechanical watch movement has been invented by American master watchmaker Steven Phillips. The mechanism, which he has trademarked as the "Eternal Winding System" (EWS), is continually powered by a temperature-sensitive bi-metallic coil.

http://www.jckonline.com/article/293586-American_Invents_Self_Powered_Mechanical_Watch_Movement.php

Apparently, this guy Phillips invented this movement, made a few watches, then died.

I'm surprised no watch companies have picked up this technology. It seems interesting.

More here:

http://www.luxurywatchswap.com/steven-phillips.php

http://people.timezone.com/library/news/news631757485905156250

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?15354-NEW-CONCEPT-ATMOS-WATCH&s=3d21ef7adb4f83c304e69005c40fb3b9

Some years ago, I saw several articles about a watch that winds itself as a result of changes in temperature. There's some temperature sensitive metal spring inside that coils and uncoils as a result of very small changes in temperature.

At the time, folks seemed very excited about this technology, and it was the next big thing.

Anyone ever seen a watch that incorporates these principles?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NS - you amaze me. and the daytona looks great.

kai - cool stuff, thanks for the links.

larcat

Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker, first post.

This maybe belongs in a poor man's watch thread, but I thought I would post here.

Aviator watches are, in my opinion, the best first purchase for a watch nerd. They look great with denim, and when paired with a suit give a bit of rugged flair without being out of place.

I only own one watch, pictured here:

This is from a gentleman named Hans Kemmner, Erkahund on Ebay. He makes the cases in Germany. Choice of either Unitas or Seagull movements. This has a Unitas. ~ $450.

Yes, I know the band is beat up. I've got a watchadoo in the mail at the moment.

Anyways, an amazing watch for the value. Only thing I know that comes in at a similar pricepoint for similar quality is the Binnacle Anchor and maybe a slightly vintage Seiko diver.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My AD texted me, my new watch is ready, the two straps of correct length I ordered arrived from Switzerland :D But I am enjoying my holiday waay too much to drive into the city and collect it. Delayed gratification was never my strong suit, good thing I brought enough wrist candy to last a week or two.
That is a great vid! Honest and so true. Captures both the thrill and the neurotic silliness of watch collecting. I bought a gold transitional Sub a couple of years after watching this for the first time. I actually had forgotten where I saw it featured, or at least I thought so. My mind probably had it stored away for an appropriate time when my guard was down.

Yeah, I thought the video was pretty well-done!

Wore the Daytona for a day of grilling, waterskiing and tossing a disc around near a beach in the Lyse fjord. Perfect summer day, perfect watch for it. :cheers:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great video. I had never seen it, nor do I recall previously hearing of Mr. Bolt. It certainly raises the issue of variety vs. consolidation down to 1 great piece. I might be able to consolidate down to a few, but not sure about just 1. That would be really tough!

My AD texted me, my new watch is ready, the two straps of correct length I ordered arrived from Switzerland
biggrin.gif
But I am enjoying my holiday waay too much to drive into the city and collect it. Delayed gratification was never my strong suit, good thing I brought enough wrist candy to last a week or two.

I'd be dying to go see whatever my AD brought in for me. You have incredible self restraint!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool video! I remember seeing that video when I first started looking at watches, and it is funny looking at it now... and being a bit more understanding. All in the matter of a couple of years no less!

Day before the exam for me, and just finishing up my preparation. Going to be wearing my Speedy. It has been lucky so far!

Also, in regards to that platinum Nautilus... supposedly Patek is starting to make them as a limited release. IIRC, they will be retailing at 85 large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads