The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

So I wanted to ask my TWAT-brethren for their help: I want to get my dad a wedding thank you present and obviously considering the frequency with which I visit this thread, it should be a watch. I wanted to keep it in the $3-5K range and unfortunately can't be pre-owned (my dad is idiosyncratic and vintage/pre-owned doesn't work for him). I really wanted to get him the new Tudor Chrono or Black Bay as those would be fun watches that he could enjoy and fit a hole in his collection. Unfortunately, I am in the U.S. and haven't been released here yet; my long time AD is checking if he can work his magic, but I was hoping anyone here might have a suggestion. I don't have any European travel coming up before my August 17th wedding, so that is an option. Do you think there is any chance a Tudor overseas AD would work with me to get me one? Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i <3 nipple dial sub.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I don't know why they switched, especially as the silver subdial trim rings were the originally one of the distinguishing features on the original Zenith based movement WG Daytonas. I like the contrast of black/white and white/black on the Daytonas. Having a current model and a vintage Zenith based model, I have the best of both worlds so I won't complain...and if I did, I doubt Rolex would listen.
    You may have a problem doing that. Rolex has strict importation laws regarding bringing a Rolex into the US. A person is allowed to bring 1 Rolex product purchased abroad into the USA on their physical person. You are not allowed to ship them into the US, if customs catches you shipping a Rolex into the US, they confiscate the watch. For years James Dowling a noted collector, seller and author of books on Rolex, had a disclaimer stating that he would not do sales of Rolex products to individuals in the US due to customs issues. He would only sell to you, if you or a designated agent would be picking up the watch in person. Some foreign dealer may work with you, but its at your own peril and if your package gets inspected and confiscated, it would be a really bad ending to a well intended idea.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

My local Tudor AD tells me they are absolutely prohibited from shipping watches to the US. Too bad, the Black Bay is gorgeous, as is the new Heritage Chrono Blue. Both are a nice way to add some colour to the rotation.

5. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Dino, definitely read about that and you are 100% right. I would not want to go that route either and get my gift confiscated. My one thought is reaching out to an AD in Greece and have my cousin bring the watch into the country when he comes for the wedding.

Would you happen to have any alternative watch suggestions?

6. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Unless he wears the watch there is the chance it may be confiscated. Do not have him bring the box and papers.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No, he can and should bring the box and papers. My understanding is you are allowed to bring one watch on your person, that would include the box, papers etc. If he doesn't bring the box and papers to a brand new watch and declare it, it might look as though he is trying to sneak a watch into the country without informing customs that it is being imported and attempting to avoid dealing with the customs fee. They can either then levy a much larger fee on it, or maybe confiscate it for trying to sneak it in to the country. The law isn't that he can't import a Rolex product, its that he can't SHIP it into the US. He is allowed to bring 1 new Rolex product into the country. As long as he declares it there is no reason to leave the box and papers somewhere else. Still I'd advise CHRK to read up on the law regarding importing a Rolex/Rolex product so that he knows exactly what would have to be done to avoid any customs problems. I have not read up on this topic in some time, so there could be some changes in the law.

It might be wise to consider another brand without the headaches that could be involved in trying to import a Tudor.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I was also curious about shipping Tudors to the USA and found this http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/buying-tudor-watches-sellers-outside-us-851704-2.html
    which seems to indicate Rolex doesn't care...for now.

FWIW, over a decade ago I purchased a Tudor from overseas and had it shipped with no problem. This was during one of the periods when they were still selling Tudors in the USA.
    The same dealer would NOT ship Rolex to USA.

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Shouldn't someone make the obligatory Speedmaster recommendation?

Okay, I guess it's my turn.

CHRK: Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Very thoughtful of you to consider a nice watch-gift for your father......how's about a 3570.50?

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Zippy, if I were CHRK, I would do my own homework and not take the advice of someone he doesn't know. The guy on watchyouseek, could be 100% correct, but he could be wrong or things could have changed in the last 90 days. I previously advised him to check the restrictions as its been a while since I've looked at them. I would imagine a gift that doesn't arrive due to customs seizure would put a serious damper on the giver's spirits at a time that should be fun and stress free.

11. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

That's a great suggestion as well. I can't believe I blanked on a Speedy. I will go check one out ASAP and see how it looks to me. And should be able to get a decent discount on that as well.

12. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Zippy, thanks for info. Much appreciated.

And Dino, definitely will do some detailed research. Thanks for all the friendly advice.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A Speedy Pro is a great idea. Its a classic and quite versatile. For something a bit dressier if he doesn't mind a rectangular watch, you could consider a Cartier Tank Solo, Cartier Ronde Solo automatic on a strap, or if you can get about a 15% discount you might be able to get a Santos Galbee XL in steel...very versatile and classic design.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Oh yeah, no question would I advise him to base a decision like that on some dude's post in the interweb.
    And especially not on my experience 10 years ago.

I could have sworn I read something about Cartier trying to get some similar grey market protection too.

15. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Didn't even know they did that one in an automatic version, Dino. I had seen the smaller, quartz iteration before.

The auto is 42mm, so pretty big for a true dress piece, but the proportions look decent to me. Big, bold Roman numerals with the interior 24-hr track. It does have a date window at 3 o'clock, but it fits the overall design fairly well. And personally, I'd keep it on a black strap rather than my oft-recommended brown croc.

Now, I do wonder what the "Self-winding mechanical movement with caliber Cartier 049" is, exactly?

Anyway around it, both this one, and the Tank Solo automatic in stainless can be purchased direct from the cartier.us website for about $3500. You could do a whole lot worse for the money, as they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.