The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Yeah, I thought the video was pretty well-done!

Wore the Daytona for a day of grilling, waterskiing and tossing a disc around near a beach in the Lyse fjord. Perfect summer day, perfect watch for it. :cheers:

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great video. I had never seen it, nor do I recall previously hearing of Mr. Bolt. It certainly raises the issue of variety vs. consolidation down to 1 great piece. I might be able to consolidate down to a few, but not sure about just 1. That would be really tough!

I'd be dying to go see whatever my AD brought in for me. You have incredible self restraint!

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Very cool video! I remember seeing that video when I first started looking at watches, and it is funny looking at it now... and being a bit more understanding. All in the matter of a couple of years no less!

Day before the exam for me, and just finishing up my preparation. Going to be wearing my Speedy. It has been lucky so far!

Also, in regards to that platinum Nautilus... supposedly Patek is starting to make them as a limited release. IIRC, they will be retailing at 85 large.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Good luck on the exam, newC!

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

yeah it's a little of both. One is that my relative is one of the originators of fiber optic technology in Taiwan so he's tech obsessed and has an unnatural affection for the Rado "tech" stuff. The other reason is one of his business partners is connected to the company some how and gets great deals on them. so yeah...

haha Stitchy... don't you think I thought of that already? might make it awkward next time I see him and I'm wearing a Reverso instead! That one above is amazing.

btw @ Dino... thank you for that thoughtful response. you're right on there. I tried on a few at LAX last night... going to a few boutiques around town this week and will take some wrist shots.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Great video. Wasn't a huge fan of his choice in the end - the fascination with that gold Rolex escapes me.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Brings back memories. Wishing you all the best and lots of luck!!!
    Even if its not your grail brand, have fun and enjoy finding the right one. I look forward to seeing some wrist shots soon!
    Yea...but you're kind of an anti-Rolex guy anyway. I think its interesting to see some of the rarer pieces you wouldn't normally see particularly in gold. In addition, the dial on it is what makes it kind if cool compared to later ones. Also keep in mind the buyer was working within a budget, and even then he did end going bit beyond it. I'm sure he saw some rarer, and possibly more interesting pieces, but they could have been beyond what he could do.

8. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Got to spend the weekend in Connecticut with an old college buddy who has managed to remain stubbornly employed on Wall St. throughout the recent unpleasantness. We discussed the 2X theory of watch acquisition -- ie. each piece should cost pretty close to twice the one that preceded it, theoretically encouraging you to defer purchases until the income stream has grown to accommodate them. And you actually keep them all. We made some ladders under varying conditions (it was hot, and we were drinking) and the no-brand-repeat favorite was:

Speedy --> Sea-Dweller (16600) --> Royal Oak --> Nautilus -- > Patrimony (platinum) --> Sorry, you're not allowed to make that much in finance anymore.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks for sharing that vid, Belligero. Certainly not old hat for me - a fun 28 minutes!

Best wishes on the exam, Newcomer! Let us know how it goes!

Exchanged tons of private messages and emails with ADs and friends before Bruno finally posted that thread about the platinum Nautilus. Still some doubt as to whether Patek will produce it (all I've received are denials and/or "no word yet" from Patek USA and US ADs), but we'll see.

That's 85,000 CHF too, so in the low to mid-90s in USD. You could get a 3970 in yellow gold for that. I don't know if an all-platinum Nautilus offers that much value.

Hah hah nice read!

Speaking of "value calcs" - am a fan of perpetual calendar chronographs and VC makes the QP Chrono Malte that's pretty stunning. Yellow gold can be had in the low $60s, platinum in the high $70s. PP commands a premium as in many other categories but man, this piece is lovely (pics from Deniz / phase-de-lune):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A great watch with a very VC case (using flared lugs). What a lot of people like about that watch is the engraved moon phase disk made entirely of 18K gold on the gold version...I believe its in PT on the PT version. I've only see that model once in person, but its really beautiful.

11. chrisrock

chrisrock Member

On my way to see "Wicked," and I'm running LATE!

[​IMG]

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Ha, I can see why you would think that, but truth be told I have a huge amount of respect for Rolex. In fact over the last year I've come to really appreciate them even more. I can't say a bad thing about the brand as a manufacturer. True, aesthetically many of their models don't speak to me the way they do to others, but I really hold the brand in high regard.

I would've much preferred his El Primero Steel Daytona over the gold Sub personally. I admit I don't have the knowledge to appreciate all the subtleties in the different dials and what makes them rare though. I was a little nervous watching him wear the gold Sub during that trial week - in one shot, he was wearing a bracelet with the metal clasp almost rubbing against the watch! Seems a no-no for a trial run!

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Frills, that VC is absolutely stunning. That has to be one of my favorite VCs I have ever seen. That is just spectacular. I love the lugs.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Belligero - great video. had not seen that before, thanks for sharing it.

frills - fantastic VC. notice that although there is no dot between the 31 and the 1, the 31 is red and the 1 is black, so as one would never see it as 311. well done VC!

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Love that VC, Frilly - and although it's still a lot of money, in terms of value, it seems a steal compared to a PP of Lange with similar functions. Nice size, beautiful shape with those lugs, proper grail territory! I love that moonphase....platinum for me, please. :)

Nuke - good luck with the exams, I'm sure you'll nail it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.