The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llkoolk

llkoolk New Member

Nice watches...I love the Panerai

2. gravitas1

gravitas1 Active Member

Recently got into watches and I already have a Rolex as an homage to my Dad (huge Rolex guy), now looking at a Cartier Tank as an homage to my Mom (Cartier lady). I am deciding between the XL (left) or L (right).

[​IMG]

(click to enlarge)

The XL is automatic and has a date function (L has neither) but I feel that the L looks better on my wrist. Opinions?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Careful with what you say, I'd hate to have to feed you to him for breakfast. [​IMG]
    He definitely eats as much as a bear does...its enough to put a person in the poor house.
    It called a Caucasian Ovcharka. They are originally from Eastern Europe and are used for hunting bears and defending flocks from wolves. They require strict discipline and a lot of socialization from a young age or they can be overly aggressive and difficult for even an owner to handle. They are loyal and protective but definitely not for people that are inexperienced with or lax in teaching and disciplining a dog.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think you have enough wrist to carry off the XL. In my experience square and rectangular watches generally wear and feel a larger than round watches. I have previous model of Cartier Tank XL (manual wind, no date) and I adore it. I think the XL looks good on you, but of you prefer the Large go with the large. We can advise you as to looks, but only you can decide how each feels on your wrist.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

The breed is featured prominently in Brad Thor's, "Scot Harvath" books. I like the series and always got a kick out of the dogs. Nice to see a picture of one.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

which one?
    imo, the XL looks far better. the L seems too small on your wrist, it does not have enough presence and seems to be getting lost. there is a lot of wrist showing on both sides above the lugs. the XL looks just right. just my take.

7. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

+1

8. Ozzied

Ozzied Member

Had this delivered yesterday.. found on le bay for a resonable price last week:

[​IMG]

Also, I found this 1964 Omega Seamaster, which has been refurbished / repainted, my maximum bid didn't meet the reserve price, but the seller sold to me (at maximum bid) which I thought was pretty reasonable so took it... thoughts on this??

[​IMG]

I've only recently started to appreciate finer time pieces, so am a bit of a novice in that respect.

Also apologies for the picture quality.. taken on I-Potatoe camera

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'd say the XL too. There's something quite dainty about the design to me, especially as it's gold. So the larger size makes it look more "manly" on you, without being at all "chunky" or out of proportion. It looks wonderful.

10. tricky

tricky Senior member

I agree with XL suggestions.

11. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

[​IMG]

What I am wearing today:
    Montblanc Automatic
    Aquascutum shirt
    Gieves & Hawkes Jacket
    Silver toecap cufflinks

Also, what are people view of MB watches, not seen many on here. Had this piece for over 3 years, I was attracted to the curve and aesthetics more...and the pricé of course

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Question on Vintage watches -

What are people's thoughts on aftermarket parts?

I went out of my way on my vintage to use a dealer with a huge reputation for keeping everything original when they refurbish - but is there any price-point where newer face or replacement hands are acceptable if you just like the watch? If you buy something on eBay and get a good deal, do you have it opened and checked, or just accept it if you like it.

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Sorry I'm late to the party - Love the watch, but i LOVE the dog. Great shot of both

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

On the Cartier Tank, I'll be the sole contrarian voice and recommend the smaller size, which would work better as a dress watch (which is how I would wear a piece like this). It also seems to me more suited to the tradition of the tank, which has never been about maximizing wrist presence, but about understated elegance. If this is going to be your go everywhere and do everything watch, then the larger size might be better for you. But to my eye, the smaller watch does not in any way look too small on your wrist.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Depends on the model. Some of their watches are fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.