The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I'm giving serious thought to kopping one of the nicolas rieussec models, like the chrono a lot.

2. michaelgmohring

michaelgmohring New Member

Muhle Glashutte 44mm Terrasport II

I love this watch I owned a few Omegas, a Rolex and many other watches in my life. This brand by far has the best value and in my opinion makes the nicest watch. Its classic, simple and very well made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be well...

MGM

3. Flake

Flake Senior member

4. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Gents, Having problems uploading my photos at work..will try later. If I am correct, some of Nicolas Rieussec models are starting at around €12,000 / $15,000 - would these be in-house movements from a firm that more renowned for their pens & wallets? Compared to some of the €50,000 watches I've seen in Geneva, no doubt they are beautiful! # Mine in the $5,000 bracket - So most definitely an ETA movement.

Quote:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ very nice, flakey my boy ^^

that is hands down my favorite watch of their. love that watch. i actually was going to mention it in my post but i was typing on my phone and had no idea how to spell it.

some pr0n for fun if anyone is not familiar with the model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Interesting. I haven't heard of that series, but I will check it out. Thanks!
    Thanks, glad you like them! [​IMG]
    They make very nice pens, but it is not a brand that attracts me as a potential watch consumer. Personally, I think of them mainly as a pen company. Their most significant contributions have been in the world of pens rather than watches. I find some of their watch designs seem a bit forced and at times even flashy. Also, while I understand the idea of a familiar theme among products, but many of their black watches, black pens, and black cufflinks seem too matchy, matchy.

Knowing that several MBs were ETA or Val 7750 powered wasn't a strong selling point for me. ETA/Valjoux make good solid movements, but if I were getting a watch powered by one of those, I would probably consider an IWC Pilot watch from the late 1990s, such as a 3706 or 3713, or maybe a Mark XV. I always find a watch company's history, heritage, and accomplishments in the world of watch making to be both interesting and on some level a selling point. MB doesn't have much history in the world of watch making and and I don't see them as really standing apart from the crowd.

When I consider the prices of some of their watches, I tend to be more interested in other companies that have always been watch makers rather than those branching out to target new types of consumers. Nothing wrong with it, its just not for me. Ralph Lauren and Zegna have come up with watches that use very respected movements, but again I think of them as clothing makers. While their history is rich in their original fields, I am not interested in owning one of their watches. I guess I don't see a point in buying something that isn't what the brand known for...be it car makers, clothing makers, watch makers, or pen makers. But no one brand can be everything to everyone. If we all favored the same brand and model of watches it would be a very boring forum.

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is there some connection between MB and the old Minerva? I have some idea that there is/was. And what did happen to Minerva? Did the brand vanish post-Frey?

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

MB bought ought Minerva, in order for them to be "in house."

If you look at the movement design, they bear strong resemblance to Minerva movements of yore.

9. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Mont Blanc watches are owned by the Richemont group, no?

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Montblanc as a company is owned by Richemont. As is everyone pretty much.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

12. dopey

I liked Minerva. I still wear the rose gold cal. 49 that I have.
    [​IMG]
    But mine is on either a black or dark brown croc strap (I have both) rather than that tan one.
    I have a white cal 49 TZ LE and two black pilot's Pythagores (don't ask why I have two), but don't wear them.

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I agree that 36 is probably the right size to work for both casual and formal dress. Any thoughts on this 1985 GMT 16753? Could this be pulled off with formal wear?

[​IMG]

14. dopey

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.