1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

Thanks for the replies and advice. The watch I am looking at is below on a brown strap. Not the actual watch of course. Under $4K new so even if I do want to flip in the future I don't think it will be a huge hit given the price I'm getting the watch at. I'm a little afraid of getting the Daytona because I work at a conservative place and being the junior guy (I'm not that junior) with a Daytona might not be looked at favorably. I'll probably end up getting it as well in a couple of years. This is not an either or proposition. I do want to get something with a moonphase and at the price of the Zenith, it seems to represent good value. I know the dial is a bit busy but something about it really appeals to me. I've been thinking about getting it for months now.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attach...ns-abouth-zenith-chronomaster-gt-img_1463.jpg

2. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ranjeev:

I like it. But personally I think the Daytona just has a cleaner, more enduring design. If I were lusting for a Zenith I think it would have to be the Striking 10th, just for its difference from anything else. If you like chronos and moonphases, maybe take a look at the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonphase too? They are pretty accessible used, and you can have enough left to start saving for the Daytona too next year, when you get your promotion! Anyway, regardless of all that, two important pieces of advice that amount to the only true watch-wisdom I've managed to acquire in 15 months reading this thread:

- Buy the one you really want. Not one that's a bit like the one you really want. If it's a substitute for something you'd like to have one day but can't get now, it's not going to endure. Best get something completely different that you already love for itself, rather than a stepping stone.

- Try it on. I don't know how many times now, but I have been surprised again and again when putting something on my wrist, by how much more I like it, or less, than I did from the pictures: imagine how foolish you'd feel to jump one way, then realise that the other one sings on your wrist in a way the one you bought just doesn't. I'd even suggest going to try them on while wearing what you normally wear for work. It really makes a difference seeing it in real life against your suit and shirt.

Frilly,

I always thought you were a one-off; now I know you're part of the World League of Pinoy Awesomeness. That's kind of scary. But way cool.

Shanghai,

Nice - I have a real soft spot for GO, especially since I've seen more in the flesh lately. This is a subject to which I shall return shortly! Part of me always thought of them as being a kind of Lange substitute, and I lust after Lange like an Asian dude on Kate Upton. But I think that does them a big disservice: although there are plenty of Glashuette-common design cues, their models have enormous personality, and a certain quirky, jazzy, friendliness about them that makes Lange seem rather deliberately serious. I love them both, but I'm starting to see that they're increasingly different. Anyway, nice watch man!

Steel,

*Sigh*. Lovely. This is just the watch that is never wrong. I simple must have one, some day. I'm sure you loved your Panerai, but I can't think of anything that looks so timelessly perfect and relevant as the Sub.

Tifo,

I told you your missus was wrong about the black dial/brown strap! Just don't say that out loud. You can think it, but never, ever say it. Now get a suede one too for a more casual-weekend-jeansy feel. But that's fabulous. :)

Apropos,

LOL! I'm so glad that was you instead of me. Because I kind of expect myself to do that in every post. Weird thing is, though, I think it looks brilliant with the onion crown. Shoot me now...

3. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Thought i would share this here. A dial screw came lose on my watch, but thankfully it got caught between the movement and the case back to didnt bounce around messing things up. Was a quick 5 min fix and check up at the service center and thankfully nothing was wrong with the rest of the watch. Keep in mind this isnt saying anything about the company since i do wear my watches like an ass and this has also happened to my VC as well.

[​IMG]

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

Glad there was no harm done - I find that quite alarming!

Can we have a proper look at your PP and VC now, please? :)

5. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

They have been posted on here before! ;)

6. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

+1 glad it worked out.

Still surprised that would happen (twice) unless you're wearing them under very active/extreme conditions.

I don't necessarily baby my watches, but that's why I have sportier ones, and even a couple of true "beaters" for the really rough stuff.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  7. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I have the "New Vintage 1969" version of this Zenith, with the old style case. It's one of those (not so-?) limited editions. Mine's number 400-something out of 500 I think. Per TWAT's recommendation, I have been wearing it on a mesh bracelet. If anything I'd like to give it more wrist time, but there's only so many days in a week. Great watch, and a classic movement of course. If you can stand a little French, this guy has some amazing pics....I can never do it any justice with my camera phone: http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/t78043-zenith-new-vintage-1969

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  8. forex

forex Senior member

Where did you get the strap and deployant? Ofrei?

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I got them both from Watchuseek members. The strap was new and the clasp was used.

Ofrei would have been my choice if I didn't find them on the forums.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

which is awesome.. so yeah! :embar:

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

So uhhhh that new Hodinkee video... guy opens his Rolex 4113 with a cheese knife. :eek:

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Met up with a friend yesterday. Her 4936J Patek ladies annual calendar in yellow gold is bigger (37mm) than mine (36mm 3970P). And sometimes that's just the way I like it!

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

13. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Is the Nautilus a watch that only works in steel? The gold one looks great but "soft" if that is the right word.

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you gone kop?

what color gold do you refer to?

15. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

Preference IMHO. Friend has the 5980 Nautilus chrono rose gold on a strap and it looks fricking amazing IMHO. But I get your point. Rarely see Nautilus models in yellow gold though - mostly rose gold these days. An older discontinued reference?

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i thought so, wanted to be sure. i dont generally love the nautilus in yellow gold, thats a lot of yellow to visually digest, and the watch feels too sporty to me for that.

but OTOH, there is the all gold nipple dial rolex that i love, so ill just wait for someone to post a shot of the nautilus in all yellow gold model that will make me say, actually, i do like that one.

18. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

My Casablanca 5850. 10+ years old. .[​IMG]

19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Very cool Franck Mueller! I really like the Casablanca.

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I've seen older yellow gold model with a white dial, a gold dial, and a dark dial, and something about it just doesn't work IMHO. Its a design I'd prefer in SS over YG.

Not a fan of the 5980 I find it too clunky and it goes against that general thinness theme that I think of when I think Nautilus. Although, the 5980 in steel and rose with a blue dial is one of the few two tone watches I've liked in recent year. I love the 3712/R, but if only they made a matching bracelet for it. That would be a beauty! For me, a Nautilus or RO without its bracelet is only half the watch. It was designed to have an integrated bracelet and I just can't get past the feeling that on a strap its incomplete.
    Very cool. It reminds me of the Vacheron Historiques 1912.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.