• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those IWCs are awesome. Now I totally want to find this:

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

I personally think that Lange has a certain restraint in its designs that I don't find in GO maybe because of its logo. That said, a couple of GOs from 2-3 years back were very very nice and I would have bought one of those had it been available in SS.

The current base Lange 1 models are certainly restrained, but go further into conservative and austere territory IMO. Don't see myself wearing gold on silver until I'm at least 50, and would not consider silver on silver under any circumstances. Reminds me too much of my first watch, a Tag Heuer. Can't get on board with most JLC masters for the same reason.

oisin

Reaction score

1. avoid ugly fat sister of Lange 1
2. exchange MC for MUT Moon (IMO PG > SS) or Master RDM (preferable)
3. save for 5513
4. get 5513
5. done!

this. though i don't feel as harshly toward the Pano Lunar. In fact I like it a lot, though thought it was thick and the bezel too thin. a bit industrial feeling to me. Tried on the MUT moon and thought it really sang in pink gold. 5513 or even one of the last-gen no dates next. Actually this is very similar to the decision-making process I've been going through. Though the RO has thrown it a bit out of whack. as does the sudden urge (speaking of guns) for an AyA no. 2.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously? Ridiculous! Congrats. Great pickup!

My latest acquisition, an IWC :devil::

Together with my other favorite black-dial watch:

Yes, it fits under the cuffs:

This version was inspired by the original Portofino 5251 and the 5250 pocket watch from the 1970s:

Together with the rest of my Christmas haul:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sinn's pilot's line and pilots watches in general look just about perfect on a NATO/NATO style strap. I prefer the slightly thicker Zulu straps but your above image sure makes a strong case for the original NATO. I always cringe when I hear folks say NATO straps look cheap. They may not be ideal with a suit but that's not the idea either. Kinda like a Mil-Sub...a tool watch looks great with a utilitarian strap.

It's such a perfect image! Well done.

Exactly — you don't wear a military-derived watch at a black-tie event, and you don't wear a Calatrava for heli-skiing. It's easy enough to confuse "inexpensive" with "cheap", but good design is good design. Horses for courses, right?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That fantasy vision of GO being a poor man's Lange is so twisted it's not even funny. Yet, some WIS like to perpetuate this concept. GO is GO with its own DNA (which lineage traces back to the same as Lange as we all know) and has evolved into its own aesthetic , while keeping the teutonic roots of Glashutte watchmaking design. It has a sportier design, slightly more industrial and less dressy than AL&S. It's just a different watch. I don't hear people saying : don't buy a BMW because it's really not a Bentley. Different engine, different price point. Like the watches on their own merits - or not. No need to constantly come back to the GO vs AL&S as if that was some sort a binary choice. I hear sometimes people saying stuff like that for Omega vs Rolex and it also makes my eyes roll.
Believe it or not, I know some people who like both GO and AL&S, who like both Omega and Rolex. Crazy, I know !
/ rant
You seem like a good guy, and if you own a Pano hopefully you enjoy it. GO makes a very good quality watch and I would consider owning some form of Senator or a watch that doesn't look like a tribute to the Lange 1. I don't own a Lange 1 or a GO, so I have no axe to grind.

IMHO the Lange 1 was a ground breaking design and the Pano wasn't. Its not a copy, but come on, you can clearly see where they got the idea for the dial design. In addtion, I've met people that said with a Pano they got Lange 1 styling at a significantly reduced price...so doesn't that indirectly say that even some Pano buyers are choosing it, because in your own words its a ,"Poor man's Lange." I don't think anyone questions the teutonic roots of the GO, but for me and several other watch collectors the Pano just feels like a watch that pays tribute to the Lange 1. It lacking originality or that something special that makes it stand out on its own without being compared to a Lange 1.

Your BMW/Bentley comparison in respect to a Lange 1/Pano seems rather weak, as neither BMW nor Bentley makes a product that attemtps to look like the other. As a side issue I don't know if you randomly chose the 2 to compare or if you were using them because you thought BMW owns Bentley, they don't. BMW owns Rolls Royce, its Volkswagen that owns Bentley.

When you say, GO has its own DNA...and has evolved into its own aesthetic...that applies more to the Senators than the Panos. I never compare the Senator Chronometer to a Richard Lange or Saxonia. Now in case you think I'm a fan of Lange and a hater of GO...I think GO does a better job of making other lines outside of the Pano that are very attractive...while I find the Lange 1 is really the only watch thats really enticing from Lange. I find most other round Lange's a bit boring...so maybe on some level Lange is a bit of a one trick pony.

If someone loves a Pano and is getting it because they love it (not because they see it as a cheaper alternative to a Lange 1) then by all means they should get it. If their reason for buying it is because its cheaper and gives them a sort of Lange 1 look, then perhaps they shouldn't buy it. Maybe some people are easily satisfied with by their second or third choice. However, if I bought one watch as a less expensive substitute for what I really wanted, it would never satisfy me and I would still be thinking about the watch I truly wanted. Life is too short to settle for substitutes.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest acquisition, an IWC
devil.gif
:

This version was inspired by the original Portofino 5251 and the 5250 pocket watch from the 1970s (not my pic):

Together with the rest of my Christmas haul:
Handsome choice...and the original is a very cool watch too! Congrats and enjoy!

point1

Reaction score

However, if I bought one watch as a less expensive substitute for what I really wanted, it would never satisfy me and I would still be thinking about the watch I truly wanted.  Life is too short to settle for substitutes. 

My life is too short not to settle. As long as money is an issue I think it might be wise to settle. The same with most things otherwise you'd never be happy.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with gdl here wholeheartedly. While I see the similarities, I feel the Lange doesn't automatically make the PML irrelevant. The Lange is leagues more expensive , and so if one can't afford the Lange 1, should they just forget about PML completely?

These two models are in different price brackets, and while the PML is certainly no slouch, the ALS is going to be unattainable for most of the even WIS-afflicted.

I personally think that the PML is awesome. And I also think that the Lange 1 is amazing, and I can definitely see the appeal of both. By the way, I'm not saying the GO is a 'poor man's Lange' either. There are many similarities, but enough differences in styling that I think would make their owners extremely happy

You seem like a good guy, and if you own a Pano hopefully you enjoy it. GO makes a very good quality watch and I would consider owning some form of Senator or a watch that doesn't look like a tribute to the Lange 1. I don't own a Lange 1 or a GO, so I have no axe to grind. 

IMHO the Lange 1 was a ground breaking design and the Pano wasn't.  Its not a copy, but come on, you can clearly see where they got the idea for the dial design.  In addtion, I've met people that said with a Pano they got Lange 1 styling at a significantly reduced price...so doesn't that indirectly say that even some Pano buyers are choosing it, because in your own words its a ,"Poor man's Lange."  I don't think anyone questions the teutonic roots of the GO, but for me and several other watch collectors the Pano just feels like a watch that pays tribute to the Lange 1.  It lacking originality or that something special that makes it stand out on its own without being compared to a Lange 1.  

Your BMW/Bentley comparison in respect to a Lange 1/Pano seems rather weak, as neither BMW nor Bentley makes a product that attemtps to look like the other.  As a side issue I don't know if you randomly chose the 2 to compare or if you were using them because you thought BMW owns Bentley, they don't.  BMW owns Rolls Royce, its Volkswagen that owns Bentley. 

When you say, GO has its own DNA...and has evolved into its own aesthetic...that applies more to the Senators than the Panos.  I never compare the Senator Chronometer to a Richard Lange or Saxonia.  Now in case you think I'm a fan of Lange and a hater of GO...I think GO does a better job of making other lines outside of the Pano that are very attractive...while I find the Lange 1 is really the only watch thats really enticing from Lange. I find most other round Lange's a bit boring...so maybe on some level Lange is a bit of a one trick pony. 

If someone loves a Pano and is getting it because they love it (not because they see it as a cheaper alternative to a Lange 1) then by all means they should get it.  If their reason for buying it is because its cheaper and gives them a sort of Lange 1 look, then perhaps they shouldn't buy it.  Maybe some people are easily satisfied with by their second or third choice.  However, if I bought one watch as a less expensive substitute for what I really wanted, it would never satisfy me and I would still be thinking about the watch I truly wanted.  Life is too short to settle for substitutes. 

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have enjoyed the discourse so far :). I am certainly leaning more towards the MUT Moon at this juncture, but I would like to see a PML in the flesh before I make any rash decisions. The way I look at it, the MUT Moon is just about the perfect watch of its type. I really cannot think of a comparator that I would prefer to it. Whereas with the PML and Lange, I guess there is a comparator, the Lange 1 Moonphase. But then, you are looking at a watch that retails for under $10,000, and another that retails for under $40,000. That is a CONSIDERABLE difference, and at the $40,000 price point, I may want to choose a Patek Perpetual Calendar. Heck, Lange may not even be around, or they may not make that model anymore. There are a lot of ifs.

Personally, I love the PML. However, I wish I could merge the last generation and the current generation together. Personally, I actually prefer the case of the previous version and the size / bezel size, whereas I prefer the dial on the newer version. I have not seen a wristshot that I found attractive of the new version. This is really the only thing that is holding be back from it. Cyclon's pictures of the PML really made it look different than I imagined, and we have similar sized wrists. In contrast, I love how GDL's looks on his.

I figured that this question would cause a discussion. They are great moonphases at a very similar price, and from two amazing brands. The JLC has a timeless quality to it though that really makes it a sensible choice. I worry a bit about its versatility, but would IMMEDIATELY purchase some brown, and maybe a navy strap.

Thanks for the words so far, everyone.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep - http://www.watchband-shop.com/Watch-strap-Genuine-water-buffalo-vintage-brown
Cheap too!
Apropos of nothing, felt like sharing a photo of my old Navi with a new mesh bracelet. I think I prefer it to the original bracelet, which is very nice but a little... shiny.

looks great.

So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following:
Either the GO PML:

Or, conversely, the JLC MUT Moon:

The other alternative is potentially to keep the JLC Master Control, and then perhaps pick up a Rolex No Date Sub.
All three options have been swimming around my head for the past week or so, and I am at something of an impasse. It makes the most sense to me to sell the JLC MC and pick up the JLC MUT Moon. I would like a MUT Moon, and just do not see the point of owning a MC and a MUT Moon. On the other hand... the GO PML is such a beautiful watch, and it has always pulled at the heartstrings. However, recent wristshots of it have been a bit of a let down, and I wonder if I will always simply wish it was a Lange.
Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any thoughts (Dino, I have a feeling I can pin yours :D).

love the GO. geep the JLC MC and get the GO. :devil:

Thanks! How about these?
dsc9518001.jpg

dsc9516001.jpg
Leather NATOs are a bit of an acquired taste. They don't suit every watch, but I like them on pilot's watches; in fact, I prefer them for looks and comfort to the nylon variety for airplane-ey models.
I don' t like any type of leather strap on a diver's watch, though. Same deal with a gold case or chronograph function on a diver's model — cognitive dissonance.

amazing. thanks for the pics.

That fantasy vision of GO being a poor man's Lange is so twisted it's not even funny. Yet, some WIS like to perpetuate this concept. GO is GO with its own DNA (which lineage traces back to the same as Lange as we all know) and has evolved into its own aesthetic , while keeping the teutonic roots of Glashutte watchmaking design. It has a sportier design, slightly more industrial and less dressy than AL&S. It's just a different watch. I don't hear people saying : don't buy a BMW because it's really not a Bentley. Different engine, different price point. Like the watches on their own merits - or not. No need to constantly come back to the GO vs AL&S as if that was some sort a binary choice. I hear sometimes people saying stuff like that for Omega vs Rolex and it also makes my eyes roll.
Believe it or not, I know some people who like both GO and AL&S, who like both Omega and Rolex. Crazy, I know !
/ rant

agree with this. while i do think there are certainly design similarities, i still agree with the above.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My life is too short not to settle. As long as money is an issue I think it might be wise to settle. The same with most things otherwise you'd never be happy.
With somethings yes, with some things no. Maybe a $10 million dollar home would be great, but thats not realistic at least not for me. As for some items, I can't settle, it would be a waste of time and money. I have a buddy that spends a good amount on watches, he often buys a good watch not wanting to spend more than a self imposed amount even though he could afford more (which is fine). But he does it even when he sees one that he truly wants which is maybe a few thousand more. Then he truly lusts for the other model. After a year or two he sells/trades the watch he bought, then buys the one he really wanted. However, by that point in time, he is dealing with the depreciation of the watch he bought and any subsequent price increases on the model he truly wanted. So in the end he has the watch he truly wanted, but it has cost him significantly more than if he just bought it to start. To me, thats not a great way to do things either.
I have to agree with gdl here wholeheartedly. While I see the similarities, I feel the Lange doesn't automatically make the PML irrelevant. The Lange is leagues more expensive , and so if one can't afford the Lange 1, should they just forget about PML completely?
These two models are in different price brackets, and while the PML is certainly no slouch, the ALS is going to be unattainable for most of the even WIS-afflicted.
I personally think that the PML is awesome. And I also think that the Lange 1 is amazing, and I can definitely see the appeal of both. By the way, I'm not saying the GO is a 'poor man's Lange' either. There are many similarities, but enough differences in styling that I think would make their owners extremely happy

Everyone is different as are their tastes. For me, I just would not be happy with a PML, even if a Lange 1 Moonphase is well beyond my reach. I just find the PML design not original enough. While its very good quality I just view it as a tribute watch, and that detracts from it for me. If I were going to buy a GO, it would be from the Senator line. I would choose something that is distinctly GO, rather than something that mimics a different brand. However, I am sure there are lots of people that are happy with their PMLs and thats great for them.
I have enjoyed the discourse so far
smile.gif
. I am certainly leaning more towards the MUT Moon at this juncture, but I would like to see a PML in the flesh before I make any rash decisions. The way I look at it, the MUT Moon is just about the perfect watch of its type. I really cannot think of a comparator that I would prefer to it. Whereas with the PML and Lange, I guess there is a comparator, the Lange 1 Moonphase. But then, you are looking at a watch that retails for under $10,000, and another that retails for under $40,000. That is a CONSIDERABLE difference, and at the $40,000 price point, I may want to choose a Patek Perpetual Calendar. Heck, Lange may not even be around, or they may not make that model anymore. There are a lot of ifs.
Personally, I love the PML. However, I wish I could merge the last generation and the current generation together. Personally, I actually prefer the case of the previous version and the size / bezel size, whereas I prefer the dial on the newer version. I have not seen a wristshot that I found attractive of the new version. This is really the only thing that is holding be back from it. Cyclon's pictures of the PML really made it look different than I imagined, and we have similar sized wrists. In contrast, I love how GDL's looks on his.
I figured that this question would cause a discussion. They are great moonphases at a very similar price, and from two amazing brands. The JLC has a timeless quality to it though that really makes it a sensible choice. I worry a bit about its versatility, but would IMMEDIATELY purchase some brown, and maybe a navy strap.
Thanks for the words so far, everyone.
Glad you are enjoying. I never mind being the devil's advocate. I do see the significant difference in price if one compares the steel to the gold version. I didn't realize you were considering the steel Pano. The difference between a gold Pano and gold Lange 1 is about $15,000 which isn't chump change, but still not as drastic as roughly $10K v. $38K. I love the Lange 1 moonphase especially in platinum, but for now unless I liquidated a bunch of watches that I really love, its beyond my reach. Still the price issue doesn't make a PML more attractive to me. There are other watches from other brands that I would rather own which IMHO do not suffer from looking like a tribut watch. I like things that are distinct and have their own identity and for me that is lacking in a PML, hence if a GO were on my radar it would be some form of Senator. In general I prefer JLCs to GOs anyway.

Even though PMLs aren't my thing, I look forward to seeing your decision making process and wish you luck and lots of fun with the research and shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads