The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

2. point1

point1 Member

Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

One may want a repeater, however one may need to be a bit more realistic.

But just because I need to be realistic, doesn't mean that I ever have to settle for anything.

I just chose something else, I never settle for less.

Settle is a term I chose not to use.

4. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

That's correct.

Rambo, the watch wears smaller than its 46mm size because it is fairly thin at 11mm. That said, there's no getting around the fact that it is a big watch. Certainly the largest I own (and probably will ever own). But it is a thing of beauty :inlove:

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thats a tough situation especially if its something you really want and believe is a reasonable price. Does the guy have any references about previous transactions?

I've only known 2 guys personally that were not happy with purchases where photos were a bit iffy. One guy the watch wasn't in the condition the seller claimed it was in, and he did ok, seller took it back. Condition can be a tough issue because sometimes a person's idea of 90% could be different than yours if you are very detail oriented.
    The other guy I knew should have done more homework...he bought a watch a a price too good to be true and it turned out to be a "Franken-watch"...it was a vintage GMT Master that someone had messed around with and turned into a more valuable vintage orange hand Exp II.

I'm kind of risk averse so if I'm not comfortable I would walk away...but everyone's comfort level is different.

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Do breuget hands have to be blue to be classified as such?

7. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

IIRC, the term "Breguet hands" refers not only to the colour of the blued steel, but the distinctive form of the hands themselves.

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

That wold look great in 40mm size. Bonus points if they use the older logo also. The (new) logo seems to go up in size every year

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

what medtech said. while most breguet hands are blued steel, the shape and design itself belongs to him.

10. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

That looks amazing, GMT with the red hand is one of my grail watches. I bet a suede strap would look amazing with that as well.

11. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Likewise. Really comparing cats to kittens.

I always liked the GO Panolunar until I got one and couldn't tell the time in low light conditions. Looks very nice, however.

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

+1

13. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Very nice -if you can wear it, do it - no girly watches.

14. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

[​IMG]

Only one zipper this time.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

While I appreciate what goes into a Tourbillon or Minute Repeater, I have never really had a desire to own one. So while I do want certain higher end brands in my collection, maybe I've never felt I've settled because my grail watches are more realistic. Sure if I chose slightly lesser items maybe I would be able to own more watches or own more complicated pieces, but they might not mean as much to me. Everyone is different, and what makes sense to us as a good purchase, or what seems like settling may mean differnet things to each of us. I just don't buy things that I feel would be settling. We all have to make choices that are right for each of us and those choices might be different.

+1

I've also heard Breguet hands referred to as "Pomme/Apple" hands. I've never heard that the hands had to be blued, but to be honest, most watches I've seen with Breguet/apple hands that were blued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.