• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I were going to buy a GO, it would be from the Senator line. I would choose something that is distinctly GO, rather than something that mimics a different brand.   However, I am sure there are lots of people that are happy with their PMLs and thats great for them. 

this is interesting. i guess i just dont see the PML to be a "tribute." its nice that you have not written off GO entirely, just the lines that you dont like. thats cool.

johanm

Reaction score

With somethings yes, with some things no.  Maybe a $10 million dollar home would be great, but thats not realistic at least not for me.  As for some items, I can't settle, it would be a waste of time and money.  I have a buddy that spends a good amount on watches, he often buys a good watch not wanting to spend more than a self imposed amount even though he could afford more (which is fine).  But he does it even when he sees one that he truly wants which is maybe a few thousand more.  Then he truly lusts for the other model.  After a year or two he sells/trades the watch he bought, then buys the one he really wanted.  However, by that point in time, he is dealing with the depreciation of the watch he bought and any subsequent price increases on the model he truly wanted.  So in the end he has the watch he truly wanted, but it has cost him significantly more than if he just bought it to start.  To me, thats not a great way to do things either. 

+1, nothing wrong with experimenting but recognize it's pretty extravagant to spend thousands on stopgap watch rentals (buying a watch with the intention of flipping it later), whereas if you have a realistic idea of what your ultimate/ideal collection will look like, it makes sense to put your watch funds toward those items sooner rather than later.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

My latest acquisition, an IWC :devil::

I love this watch but its just TOO ******* big! 46mm is massive even in today's jumbo watch world. I really wish IWC would redo it with a 40 or 42mm case. So damn sexy. Its got everything on my watch wish list - roman numerals, moon phase, sub second, and even those little circle thingies on the hands.

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am in negotiations with a well known and reputable seller on a different forum to buy a vintage chronograph from a maker best known for their ebauches.

The listing has pretty poor photos - for example it's actually difficult to tell brushed vs polished on the lugs, and photos are smallish (approx 800p)

I've asked for some additional details - but I'm getting a distinct pushback vibe from the seller...

Guys, it's not unreasonable to ask for movement and inside caseback photos right? :fu:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it's not unreasonable.

That said, things that can be annoying for a seller include: (a) multiple successive requests, as if whenever something is provided the potential buyer comes up with something else he needs, (b) detailed requests that are out of proportion with the value of the watch, e.g. 10 back-and-forth emails and hi-res pictures for a $300 vintage chrono. People's time has value too.

Not saying that's anything you did, but wanted to add a bit of nuance to the simple answer that asking questions is OK.

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've exchanged only 2 PMs so far in total, it's >$3000, and I've already been declined better photos because "that's the only camera I have" or words to that effect.

I would walk away usually, but this particular model is one that I've been hunting for a bit... :fu:

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh... some people are just not good at selling their stuff.

Cylon

Reaction score
Thought I'd weigh in on the ongoing Newcomer debate, since well yknow...

1. I feel as if getting the vintage rolex would be a waste. Why? Because you already have the speedy pro. And a vintage sub would be kinda redundant. That's not to say that you shouldn't get it at some point, but swapping out the MC for another sports watch at this point in time doesnt make sense.

2. The MUT Moon is amazing, if cold. As you know, I was kinda "over it" for awhile. I think that stems from the fact that it can be a pain to reset the date/moonphase. So my piece of advice is to get a winder, and a hell yes to the other straps.

3. Try the GO on. This is a must. I may be in the minority on this one, but I prefer the GO to the Lange (and dont see them as related watches either), but like you said I wish there was a merger of previous case/bezel size, and the dial of the contemporary one. If I could choose one Lange itd be the worldtimer, BUT if I chose a worldtimer itd be the PP not the Lange.

4. Tangential but related. I love the IWC portofino moonphase but alas its just too big for my wrists.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love this watch but its just TOO ******* big! 46mm is massive even in today's jumbo watch world. I really wish IWC would redo it with a 40 or 42mm case. So damn sexy. Its got everything on my watch wish list - roman numerals, moon phase, sub second, and even those little circle thingies on the hands.

i believe those are called breguet hands. one of his many still implemented designs.

ant702

Reaction score
Agreed:
356utconbraceletnw1.jpg

But I like to keep 'em ghetto:
dsc8093k.jpg
This brand has been on my radar for a while! I like the U1, but a little too heavy for my puny wrist! I heard from a buddy that this brand's designer came from IWC; the other one on my radar, what a coincidence!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something random I came across on the interwebz - was it you gdl who said you enjoyed Nespresso?

Yes, that dial is made from a flattened Nespresso capsule.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kT0E4o51O.../s1600/Blancier+Grand+Cru+Nespresso+watch.jpg

On a completely unrelated note - has anyone seen the Reverso 1931 Rouge IRL? What did you think of it compared with the regular black dial? Is it a darker red or a brighter red?

Last edited:

point1

Reaction score
With somethings yes, with some things no. Maybe a $10 million dollar home would be great, but thats not realistic at least not for me. As for some items, I can't settle, it would be a waste of time and money. I have a buddy that spends a good amount on watches, he often buys a good watch not wanting to spend more than a self imposed amount even though he could afford more (which is fine). But he does it even when he sees one that he truly wants which is maybe a few thousand more. Then he truly lusts for the other model. After a year or two he sells/trades the watch he bought, then buys the one he really wanted. However, by that point in time, he is dealing with the depreciation of the watch he bought and any subsequent price increases on the model he truly wanted. So in the end he has the watch he truly wanted, but it has cost him significantly more than if he just bought it to start. To me, thats not a great way to do things either.

Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.
One may want a repeater, however one may need to be a bit more realistic.

But just because I need to be realistic, doesn't mean that I ever have to settle for anything.

I just chose something else, I never settle for less.

Settle is a term I chose not to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads