• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sartorialist over the years

madison avenue

Reaction score
I also agree the early shots were great they were more real people on the stret and the whole blog gave off a different vibe. I miss the days with the store display pics and the people on the city streets.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's worth it for the pictures. His commentary is sometimes strained, and the reader comments are almost entirely worthless.

Also, does he ever smile? He looks like a very unhappy man in any of the pictures he posts of himself.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
I made a post about a year ago on this subject and it's only got more apparent since then. It's unavoidable to detect that Mr.Schuman has ceased photographing what made him famous, that is the man/woman on the street, in favour of the fashionista. His blog was originally about the average person doing a unique and effective look, the kind of thing that gives birth to a trend. Now it's all fashion industry insiders wearing clothes that are already trendy (and really by extension safe and boring)

This is a terrible pity, since he used to showcase many unique and creative looks. This is most obvious in his female subjects, he often posts three or four photos in a row that all look identical.

Socal hits the point precisely, he's become an appendage of CondeNast.

He now photographs what gets him paid. If he was making money off of the street shots, he would keep doing it. I don't know if you sent him any money when he was doing the street shots, but I didn't, even if I enjoyed them more than what he does now. The only reason I look at anything there anymore is when someone links to it from here. But I have no complaint - it is his job, not mine and he has to do what pays the bills.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In many hidden corners of government buildings, he may find a few bizarre examples of the vintage fashion pastiche he likes to photograph. Scary, yes, but inventive nonetheless as it often spans several decades
I've been working with a little old man, a government lifer whose warbdrobe is really old. I mean, vintage. He wears 60s suits in gray or blue, with threadbare solid or mild stripe shirts (OCBDs and point collars); woven and silk-shot-silk ties, bigass wingtips, and massive black frames. He'd be a perfect candidate for the sartorialist, except I get the feeling he'd be very put off if someone asked to take a photo of him for what he was wearing.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't mind some of the fashion biz people he shoots...some nice eye candy there.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jupiter
And I will admit, I have read the comments and I am pretty happy that I don't get some of the stuff, as it looks like it comes from a future where fashion has merged with comedy.

And , sometimes with , tragedy.

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I was just curious what people thought about The Sartorialist lately. When I first started reading (looking?) it was all street shots. Over time, as we all know, he's taken on new jobs and gotten many new great opportunities. That's great for him. However, there's been a real change in the blog.

The obvious change is the number of shots of the people who go to the shows in NYC, Milan, and other places, and of women. It's no longer "the man [and occassional woman] on the street." I miss the men's shots though I understand the change is a natural result of his schedule.

The other thing I've noticed is that his following has become almost sycophantic. There is more than a bit of unadulterated praise no matter the look. At the same time there is a slight attitude of "if you don't like it, you just don't get it." A holier than thou attitude. A recent picture of Anna Piaggi is a great example. Or the guy in the "academic" cape. Or the guy from last year in the britches and newsboy cap.

I've really lost my interest in it because of this. Or maybe I just need to not read the comments (nor post any).

Any thoughts?

b

I never liked his blog. Some photos are ok, bit all of his own comments to the photos he takes are extremely contrived, immature ("I love this, i love that" - who the **** cares), and the guy himself has NO sense of style, and no character or identity of his own. He himself is iin large responsible for the "if you don't like it you don't get it" crap.
I scoff at the sartorialist. Scoff!

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, he seems like a guy who started off with an idea and was passionate about it. But, the internet does wear on people. Negativety is almost always the popular route (which is why you rarely see any threads without flames), it gets a rise out of people.

How would you feel if you were in his shoes (besides having cramped feet)? Everytime you put up a picture, nearly everyone has something bad to say about it. People become needlessly nitpicky.

And I feel that this may be out of spite or the desire to see someone (who is doing fairly well for themselves) go down a notch in any way possible. Which, in return, causes that person to become highly defensive and protective of his work.

If you look at some of those comments, you'll see people act like they've just witnessed the most horrid ensemble ever created. They act as if the outfits are barbaric, on the lowest douchebag level of any scale. Very strange when most of the people the Sartorialist puts up are dressed much better than 90% of the population.

I'm not saying I love everything that he puts up on the site, but honestly, all the comments do, is prove that people just want to be negative for the sake of being negative.

I'd love it if the sartorialist took some pictures from the style forum and put them up for everyone to see. Then watch as random internet tough guys rip on even those who are considered some of the best dressed on these forums. And don't think they wouldn't, because they would.

I'm just saying.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

Agreed. Especially that time he posted the pictures of that stunning redhead in new york.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I used to enjoy it more, but he still occasionally has great stuff.

I avoid reading anything he writes, which I think he ought to totally forgo. I find his commentary a little annoying honestly. By the same token, his approval of mostly gushingly positive comments is also lame. If people think a subject is dressed poorly, why not let them say so?

I also feel like in the beginning it was far more average people in NYC dressed in an interesting way. Lately I feel like he's added on a lot of fashion people along with men he finds sexually attractive who are not terribly well dressed. There's still some shots of men and women who are genuinely worthy of attention, but there are a lot fewer.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Its really become more of a fashion blog now. My friends in the fashion / luxury goods industry absolutely love it as they get to see pics of industry personalities on an almost daily basis ("There's the VP of Marketing at Kors - she looks great" etc. etc.).

Little value left in the blog for people like us.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still look at the blog regularly. I really like his photos, but I stopped reading and leaving comments over a year ago - the comment section is way too sycophantic and tedious. I think he does a great job taking really flattering pictures of his subjects, and I see some interesting things on there pretty often. I love his coverage of Pitti Uomo.

alohacal

Reaction score
For a while the Sartorialist got the mix right. Now the focus seems lost, like Sart has been off the street too long and courted by the fashionista a bit too long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads