The Sartorialist over the years

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdawson808, Mar 14, 2008.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I was just curious what people thought about The Sartorialist lately. When I first started reading (looking?) it was all street shots. Over time, as we all know, he's taken on new jobs and gotten many new great opportunities. That's great for him. However, there's been a real change in the blog.

The obvious change is the number of shots of the people who go to the shows in NYC, Milan, and other places, and of women. It's no longer "the man [and occassional woman] on the street." I miss the men's shots though I understand the change is a natural result of his schedule.

The other thing I've noticed is that his following has become almost sycophantic. There is more than a bit of unadulterated praise no matter the look. At the same time there is a slight attitude of "if you don't like it, you just don't get it." A holier than thou attitude. A recent picture of Anna Piaggi is a great example. Or the guy in the "academic" cape. Or the guy from last year in the britches and newsboy cap.

I've really lost my interest in it because of this. Or maybe I just need to not read the comments (nor post any).

Any thoughts?

b

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I think the same thing and have thought the same thing for a while.

3. The_Game07

The_Game07 Senior member

In 2005/2006 I loved reading, but lately, just seems to take pics on industry people at shows. very few, ''on my way to work'/ lunch' type shots.

I used to check 4 or 5 times a week. Nowadays I dont see any inspiration and check once a week.

4. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

I think the same thing and have thought the same thing for a while.

Same here - as his blog has become more boring he seems to have gotten more arrogant. I remember when he was just starting out he used to post on the forums soliciting comments.

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I think the last time people here were talking about him he popped his head in.

But, yes, to a girl in Missouri I am sure seeing pictures of fashion editors go to fashion shows is fantastic. I couldn't give a shit.
    He should rename his blog to The CondeNastist.

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I also think he helps bolster his own arrogance by only posting positive responses to the pictures and not negative ones.

7. khaki sack

khaki sack Senior member

When he does post , critical comments, he will attack the commentator and try to defend his choice of photo. Usually this comes across as ultra sensitive , touchy, bitchy. The blog has declined.

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

In his defense he does publish plenty of negative comments (again see the recent Anna Piaggi and Harry Potter-esque guy).

On the same note, I was essentially told off for saying something negative and slightly mean. (I said Piaggi looked like the homeless lady where I catch my bus.) I asked, in response, would it be okay if I said Piaggi looked like "an exquisitely stylish bad lady"? I think his fans would be okay with that. Just not the negative comparison.

I don't know what legitimate reason there is for having control over what gets posted though. I guess I can assume the best and think he does it to keep the nasty stuff out.

b

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

He is coming to DC next week, so you can let him know about your objection in person.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

He is coming to DC next week

What is he going to photograph? Short sleeve dress shirts, Hush Puppies and pocket protecters?

11. khaki sack

khaki sack Senior member

If we're lucky , sack suits, Brooks Brothers OCBDs , Alden tassel loafers

What is he going to photograph? Short sleeve dress shirts, Hush Puppies and pocket protecters?

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I was never too much of a fan of the website, but did thoroughly enjoy the random street shots of well-attired people. Nowadays too many fashion show shots have really made the site much less appealing.

I do not blame Scott. This is natural evolution from the creator of a relatively anonymous site to the mulitple opportunities that he now enjoys.

13. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

LOL @ Manton's comment...

i look at his blog sometimes, i pretty much don't give a crap about the comments left. Sometimes there's interesting shots, other times there aren't.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

15. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

+1