• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On ‘over-dressing’

tweedlover

Reaction score
I don’t quite get the sentiment of “fighting a loosing battle”, perhaps I may have misunderstood you, as tbh, I see that in recent times, and from personal experience, I have never ever met anyone who has been disapproving of my clothing choices, or anyone else’s, and isn’t today’s society more accepting on what people would like to wear, and do wear, than say, 20 years ago?
As part pf my pre-retirement job, I was tasked with visiting residents from our area in the local state psychiatric hospital. I'd show up in my jacket and ties and every time sevearl quite mentally ill patients would come up to me to compliment my look. Used to joke with my colleagues that even the mentally ill have a fashion sense.:D

otterhound

Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this thread for two reasons. First, shitposting notwithstanding, I found it fascinating to see two schools of thought when it came to enjoying how one is dressed.

There is one school that enjoys dressing a certain way independent of the social milieu in which they find themselves. Note that I'm not saying independent of activity; no one claims to want to change the oil in a tux. To these folks, the clothes and wearing them provide the enjoyment in isolation. They would do so in a vacuum. Those at the extremes of this school are normative. To them, giving zero ***** about others' reactions to their appearance is a character strength. Caring about others' reactions is a sign of weakness, to the point of pathos.

The other school requires and amendable social context to fully enjoy what they are wearing. They would get little or no pleasure wearing their clothes in a vacuum and find it painful to wear certain clothes in a social setting where they might cause others to have a negative reaction of whatever kind. The extremes of this school don't believe that folks in the other school are being honest with themselves. They can't imagine that someone could really give not one **** about others' reactions to their appearance.

I'm solidly in the latter school. I even tend toward the extreme position, but I recognize I can't place myself inside another's head so I'll give folks in the former school the benefit of the doubt.

The second reason I'm commenting is that I can't believe that after 21 pages ostensibly about overdressing, no one posted this pic:
2022-01-22_10-59-22.jpg

PSNY

Reaction score
What is the general consensus with regards to tailored clothing in NYC versus London?

TomTom

Reaction score
What is the general consensus with regards to tailored clothing in NYC versus London?
In London tailoring is mostly worn and seen on people in certain parts of London , for instance the City, Canary Warf and around St James and Mayfair. Suits are something that you see men still wearing in large numbers but even that is declining with the dress codes being abandoned across some of the banks. Other than that it's mostly overpriced, made in China, streetwear, trainers, baseball caps and weird puffer jackets. Plus all the other assortment of various sub cultures that London is famous for.

PSNY

Reaction score
I would say it is somewhat similar in NYC. You will still see men dressed well in the Upper East Side, certain parts of Midtown, and Financial District. There are a few restaurants and bars that you'll see people wearing jackets, but for the most part it is the same and is too mostly streetwear and horrendously fitting and styled suits with the stereotypical tan almost orange looking blake stitched shoes. This is alarming as tailoring is still very much a thing and I'd like to believe what we continue to invest in will be appropriate and wearable. :)

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
In London tailoring is mostly worn and seen on people in certain parts of London , for instance the City, Canary Warf and around St James and Mayfair. Suits are something that you see men still wearing in large numbers but even that is declining with the dress codes being abandoned across some of the banks. Other than that it's mostly overpriced, made in China, streetwear, trainers, baseball caps and weird puffer jackets. Plus all the other assortment of various sub cultures that London is famous for.

I would say that by far the majority of suits in London are worn by men working in customer-facing services - sales assistants, estate agents, restaurant staff, bank cashiers etc.
The bankers and lawyers and stockbrokers are all working from home in their athleisure.

PSNY

Reaction score
I think work from home is suitable for a maximum of 1-2 days per week. In the end work from home is temporary and will never replace a physical work environment. The human interaction, ability to learn, and the host of other physical and mental health benefits far outweigh any conveniences.

TomTom

Reaction score
I think work from home is suitable for a maximum of 1-2 days per week. In the end work from home is temporary and will never replace a physical work environment. The human interaction, ability to learn, and the host of other physical and mental health benefits far outweigh any conveniences.
In my company working from home is down to managers discretion...So my team does not work from home as a norm. Of course I'm flexible but I always say to them:'' Working from home is a privilege, not a right." I personally hate working from home as I like to keep the 2 aspects of my life separate, but I do understand why some people prefer it.
And I wear a suit and tie for work 4 days a week but that is out of my choice as we don't really have a dress code.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

Of supreme relevance:

Unfortunately, the adcopy suggests it is mostly limited to the world of fuh-nanz types who had a hand in the subprime mortgage crash and are probably serving a suspended sentence for a DUI-related manslaughter involving cocaine that does not belong to him, the Porsche which unfortunately does belong to him, a high-end prostitute who belongs to no man, and $174,000 in getaway cash that he will soon accidentally scatter into the winds.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score

I have a feeling you are going to be a bit surprised by the way things develop, in this regard, over the next five years or so.

PSNY

Reaction score
Oh it's definitely here to stay and will grow. The majority of 9-5 workers don't need to commute and sit an office all day. They don't do anything but mostly nominal tasks all day that can be done from home. They will of course be heavily monitored in a variety of ways including all of their computer activity and live video and audio. Their employer will arguably have even more control over them than they did in the office. The sad part is it will kill off any remaining small businesses in big cities amongst other net-negative things.

PSNY

Reaction score
In which way? I honestly don't care just don't want fundamental decency to decay further. No small businesses, cities in ruin, vagrants, crumbling infrastructure, more suburban sprawl cutting into relatively preserved nature, loss of mens dress. It gets really bland.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads