• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On ‘over-dressing’

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I've found is that I can get away with more formal clothes if they're rumpled, the shirt is unironed, etc. That's a win-win for me, but I realise it won't work for the "propriety/respect/decorum" crowd on here.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
A cultured, elegant, lifestyle isn't something that is available based on where you live. It's either your lifestyle (or one towards which you strive), or it is not. It is perfectly possible to be cultured and elegant anywhere at all. Don't let anyone tell you different.

great quote.

also this whole idea of having to dress down to blend in with people at Walmart. Why should that be something we strive for? Dress well if you want to, and the more you dress well the more comfortable you appear in your attire.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Tibor (member here) frequently does (see his Instagram profile pic). I think it is kind of cool and a bit "only in California". At the end of the day in our post-modern world you create your own world.

On my first night in LA, I drove to some guy's reconverted warehouse and we watched Casablanca on a cinema screen with a giant projector he maintained. Everyone wore 1940s themed outfits and a good time was had and it's been almost two decades and I still remember it. What was unique about the US is this ability of people to create worlds through force of will and mind; perhaps Hollywood or just the mythos of the place? It was strange and fun playing "the French as seen by Americans who like things like Casablanca". Reifying fantasies and fiction, part of the American Dream.

For the downsides of a hyperconformist society, check out Fear and Trembling by Amelie Nothomb. It is having a choice in the matter that makes it enjoyable, I think...

there is a difference between cosplay and wearing normal clothes that happen to look good.

I would say this Instagram is more cosplay than trying to pull off a sincere look. Also, the other example you gave was a costume party.

I don’t think that is the same as wearing a suit or soorts coat, as those are normal looks throughout society (even if it’s diminished and some people don’t see it as often)

Hellbent

Reaction score
Dressing slightly better makes the world a little bit more beautiful. And, in some ways, fighting a loosing battle can be comforting. There is no hope to win. It’s just the old dance routine.

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts through this thread. Personally speaking, I am a lawyer working at a law firm in my country and obviously, the dress code is always formal/business wear. Given that we have a tropical climate and mild winters, a tie is not insisted upon, unless in a client meeting. However, a suit (with or without a tie) is always appreciated. An odd jacket with trousers is equally well received. I have to say that I am lucky in a way, since dressing well and formally is and never will be a problem at my workplace. In other words, there is nothing called being "over dressed" when one is in classic business wear.

The climate might very well be different in a large MNC (IT company for instance) where most of my friends working in such organizations do not even own a suit/jacket, let alone wearing them to work. A t shirt and jeans is quite often de rigeur, and a shirt with trousers will often be regarded as supremely formal!

tweedlover

Reaction score
Have been retired a few years now and, therefore no tie has graced my neck in a few years. But previously worked in a professional healthcare setting and I was the only 1 wearing a jacket and tie despite the professional setting. But, I dressed for no one other than myself and dressed that way because I liked it.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. There are reports than some on the Westside of LA don't feel comfortable going out in an OCBD unless they have slept in it first.

Ugh! New money!

*tosses head Pasadenaly*

(Im not making fun of you btw. Just some self aware sarcasm from another Pasadena man).

Last edited:

88RSL

Reaction score
Dressing slightly better makes the world a little bit more beautiful. And, in some ways, fighting a loosing battle can be comforting. There is no hope to win. It’s just the old dance routine.
I don’t quite get the sentiment of “fighting a loosing battle”, perhaps I may have misunderstood you, as tbh, I see that in recent times, and from personal experience, I have never ever met anyone who has been disapproving of my clothing choices, or anyone else’s, and isn’t today’s society more accepting on what people would like to wear, and do wear, than say, 20 years ago?

Hellbent

Reaction score
I don’t quite get the sentiment of “fighting a loosing battle”, perhaps I may have misunderstood you, as tbh, I see that in recent times, and from personal experience, I have never ever met anyone who has been disapproving of my clothing choices, or anyone else’s, and isn’t today’s society more accepting on what people would like to wear, and do wear, than say, 20 years ago?

By dressing better I hope I can inspire others to do the same. And yes, I'm certain that there is, within a culture, a pretty clear understanding of what "better" means. But mostly I feel that my efforts are in vain. That is what I meant when using the losing battle expression.

Edited because of too many letters in a word. Thanks @mak1277 :) (I also often spell "to" like "too", must be suffering from some sort of limited dyslexia )

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts through this thread. Personally speaking, I am a lawyer working at a law firm in my country and obviously, the dress code is always formal/business wear. Given that we have a tropical climate and mild winters, a tie is not insisted upon, unless in a client meeting. However, a suit (with or without a tie) is always appreciated. An odd jacket with trousers is equally well received. I have to say that I am lucky in a way, since dressing well and formally is and never will be a problem at my workplace. In other words, there is nothing called being "over dressed" when one is in classic business wear.

I work at an organization affiliated with the military and while the dress code is business casual, wearing a sport coat/tie/trousers ensemble is very much appreciated. It suits me just fine as well.

88RSL

Reaction score
By dressing better I hope I can inspire others to do the same. And yes, I'm certain that there is, within a culture, a pretty clear understanding of what "better" means. But mostly I feel that my efforts are in vain. That is what I meant when using the losing battle expression.

Edited because of too many letters in a word. Thanks @mak1277 :) (I also often spell "to" like "too", must be suffering from some sort of limited dyslexia )
Ah I see, thanks for explaining it to me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads