1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Sartorialist over the years

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdawson808, Mar 14, 2008.

1. The_Game07

The_Game07 Senior member

I never read the comments

2. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

yeah they kind of ruin the pictures for me. too much nit picking going on...

3. whacked

whacked Senior member

Yes , we can even see this behavior, here in this thread .

[​IMG]

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

I think "hate" is the wrong term. At leat for me. I enjoy seeing some of the pictures. They can be inspiring.

What I don't care for is the shift away from on the street shots. I understand and can accept that it had to happen. It's a sign of Scott's success and that's great for him. I just don't like those pictures as much (or at all sometimes).

I don't care about this woman's fashion pedigree--she looks like shit. (Had to link, picture wouldn't come up in the thread.)

b

5. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

Another +1 (though I only read it once a month or so).

One thing to consider is that the people of whom he takes pictures now seem to know him and his blog--they're in "the industry." Presumably, if they're more likely to read the comments, they should be censored a little bit. Nobody wants some asshole from Minnesota talking shit about them (and/or their sense of style) after they let someone put their photograph on the internet for a lot of people (and it really is a lot of people now) to see.

6. academe

academe Senior member

I like the blog.

When he started it, I think he was very underemployed. So he had time to walk around and picture ordinary folk.

Now he gets paid to go to shows, and also to shoot spreads, so the subjects within camera range have changed.

I like pix of regular folk, and I like pix of industry folk. They've all styled themselves, and often there is something I can learn from.

Whenever I have met him (twice, once at his NYC gallery opening and once outside a show during Fashion Week) he was friendly and levelheaded. His own comments here and on his own blog are the same.

I enjoy his photographs and almost never read the comments, unless there is an outfit that really speaks to me. The change in his subjects over time really seems to be a natural progression of his life experiences. In that light, I'm a little surprised by the callous lack of understanding some of the earlier posters seem to exhibit. Not exactly thrilled by his fan club, but that is different from the man himself. His pictures of industry folk seem to capture a range of individuals, not just the "beautiful people." Granted, the range is probably narrower than if all his photos were of the "every(wo)man" on the street, but this certainly doesn't mean that he's now the The "CondeNastist."

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Agree with the general sentiment. Tho I do still enjoy looking at his blog

His best shots are still the random fella he sees walking around. The industry fellas he shoots arent as interesting because most of them have an artificial hipness to their look, rather than a personal one.

I know many would disagree but I actually like the street shots Mr TheFashionist shoots. [​IMG]

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Same here. Not worth it.

9. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Senior member

I made a post about a year ago on this subject and it's only got more apparent since then. It's unavoidable to detect that Mr.Schuman has ceased photographing what made him famous, that is the man/woman on the street, in favour of the fashionista. His blog was originally about the average person doing a unique and effective look, the kind of thing that gives birth to a trend. Now it's all fashion industry insiders wearing clothes that are already trendy (and really by extension safe and boring)

This is a terrible pity, since he used to showcase many unique and creative looks. This is most obvious in his female subjects, he often posts three or four photos in a row that all look identical.

Socal hits the point precisely, he's become an appendage of CondeNast.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I like his blog and will continue to look at it, but would prefer more "man and woman on the street who are not running to a fashion show where they must dress to sell or impress" pictures.

And I will admit, I have read the comments and I am pretty happy that I don't get some of the stuff, as it looks like it comes from a future where fashion has merged with comedy.

11. madison avenue

madison avenue Senior member

I also agree the early shots were great they were more real people on the stret and the whole blog gave off a different vibe. I miss the days with the store display pics and the people on the city streets.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

It's worth it for the pictures. His commentary is sometimes strained, and the reader comments are almost entirely worthless.

Also, does he ever smile? He looks like a very unhappy man in any of the pictures he posts of himself.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I made a post about a year ago on this subject and it's only got more apparent since then. It's unavoidable to detect that Mr.Schuman has ceased photographing what made him famous, that is the man/woman on the street, in favour of the fashionista. His blog was originally about the average person doing a unique and effective look, the kind of thing that gives birth to a trend. Now it's all fashion industry insiders wearing clothes that are already trendy (and really by extension safe and boring)

This is a terrible pity, since he used to showcase many unique and creative looks. This is most obvious in his female subjects, he often posts three or four photos in a row that all look identical.

Socal hits the point precisely, he's become an appendage of CondeNast.

He now photographs what gets him paid. If he was making money off of the street shots, he would keep doing it. I don't know if you sent him any money when he was doing the street shots, but I didn't, even if I enjoyed them more than what he does now. The only reason I look at anything there anymore is when someone links to it from here. But I have no complaint - it is his job, not mine and he has to do what pays the bills.

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I've been working with a little old man, a government lifer whose warbdrobe is really old. I mean, vintage. He wears 60s suits in gray or blue, with threadbare solid or mild stripe shirts (OCBDs and point collars); woven and silk-shot-silk ties, bigass wingtips, and massive black frames. He'd be a perfect candidate for the sartorialist, except I get the feeling he'd be very put off if someone asked to take a photo of him for what he was wearing.

15. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

i don't mind some of the fashion biz people he shoots...some nice eye candy there.

16. khaki sack

khaki sack Senior member

And I will admit, I have read the comments and I am pretty happy that I don't get some of the stuff, as it looks like it comes from a future where fashion has merged with comedy.

And , sometimes with , tragedy.

17. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Senior member

18. blahblahblah

blahblahblah Senior member

I was just curious what people thought about The Sartorialist lately. When I first started reading (looking?) it was all street shots. Over time, as we all know, he's taken on new jobs and gotten many new great opportunities. That's great for him. However, there's been a real change in the blog.

The obvious change is the number of shots of the people who go to the shows in NYC, Milan, and other places, and of women. It's no longer "the man [and occassional woman] on the street." I miss the men's shots though I understand the change is a natural result of his schedule.

The other thing I've noticed is that his following has become almost sycophantic. There is more than a bit of unadulterated praise no matter the look. At the same time there is a slight attitude of "if you don't like it, you just don't get it." A holier than thou attitude. A recent picture of Anna Piaggi is a great example. Or the guy in the "academic" cape. Or the guy from last year in the britches and newsboy cap.

I've really lost my interest in it because of this. Or maybe I just need to not read the comments (nor post any).

Any thoughts?

b

I never liked his blog. Some photos are ok, bit all of his own comments to the photos he takes are extremely contrived, immature ("I love this, i love that" - who the fuck cares), and the guy himself has NO sense of style, and no character or identity of his own. He himself is iin large responsible for the "if you don't like it you don't get it" crap.
    I scoff at the sartorialist. Scoff!

19. celery

celery Senior member

IMHO, he seems like a guy who started off with an idea and was passionate about it. But, the internet does wear on people. Negativety is almost always the popular route (which is why you rarely see any threads without flames), it gets a rise out of people.

How would you feel if you were in his shoes (besides having cramped feet)? Everytime you put up a picture, nearly everyone has something bad to say about it. People become needlessly nitpicky.

And I feel that this may be out of spite or the desire to see someone (who is doing fairly well for themselves) go down a notch in any way possible. Which, in return, causes that person to become highly defensive and protective of his work.

If you look at some of those comments, you'll see people act like they've just witnessed the most horrid ensemble ever created. They act as if the outfits are barbaric, on the lowest douchebag level of any scale. Very strange when most of the people the Sartorialist puts up are dressed much better than 90% of the population.

I'm not saying I love everything that he puts up on the site, but honestly, all the comments do, is prove that people just want to be negative for the sake of being negative.

I'd love it if the sartorialist took some pictures from the style forum and put them up for everyone to see. Then watch as random internet tough guys rip on even those who are considered some of the best dressed on these forums. And don't think they wouldn't, because they would.

I'm just saying.

20. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

He should just disable comments.