• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I know it's too small for you two, but this is definitely not the type of thing I could just slyly slip into my wardrobe, so it's available.

That's definitely gotta be an SC. Pretty badass too IMO.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dang......sounds like someone wore that Kiton through a war....

I would say a moth war of the worst kind :(

I knew this piece was beyond reweaving, they would need to take too much material and it is tough for those reweavers to pattern match - they do their best work with solid / lightly patterned garments, particularly with coarse wools / larger twines - these fine super 150's / 180's render it very hard for them to reweave without leaving a trace. It is nigh on impossible with a pattern like POW, and absolutely impossible if they need material that is not available on the suit without altering it significantly.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ughhhhh. I've done that on a few occasions...got super excited by a ridiculous find, only to realize in the checkout line that there's some massive hole or something I overlooked in my excited state. Worst. feeling. ever.

Whoever said "it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" has clearly never found a hole-riddled Kiton, cuz that's some heartbreaking lost love right there.

Another dissapointing day. Found a Kiton prince of wales plaid suit in size 52L, I hit the ceiling and had it in my hands ready to purchase for the princely sum of $39.99. I was thinking of ANDRO, NATAKU or ACHILLIES when I was in line. My wife then said to me "you are not seriously thinking of getting that"? I was like "yeah, why do you ask"? Wife then pointed at all the flawed spots - numerous small holes on one sleeve. Other sleeve had 2 visible holes about the size of a pinhead. Then the real killer - my wife pointed to the back of the jacket by the neck - a 3" rip and about 2 holes larger than a dime running alone by the collar. I gave the suit to the lady behind the counter, and only scored today:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever hear of a brand called NVD Nederland or maybe NVM Nederland or something similar? I saw a shirt by them today that looked pretty nice, big buttons, nice pattern, but left it because the checkout line was super long. It was alongside of some shirts from Skip Gambert, which I have heard of, but those didn't look like anything special.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Ughhhhh.  I've done that on a few occasions...got super excited by a ridiculous find, only to realize in the checkout line that there's some massive hole or something I overlooked in my excited state.  Worst. feeling. ever.  

Whoever said "it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" has clearly never found a hole-riddled Kiton, cuz that's some heartbreaking lost love right there. 

Another dissapointing day. Found a Kiton prince of wales plaid suit in size 52L, I hit the ceiling and had it in my hands ready to purchase for the princely sum of $39.99. I was thinking of ANDRO, NATAKU or ACHILLIES when I was in line. My wife then said to me "you are not seriously thinking of getting that"? I was like "yeah, why do you ask"? Wife then pointed at all the flawed spots - numerous small holes on one sleeve. Other sleeve had 2 visible holes about the size of a pinhead. Then the real killer - my wife pointed to the back of the jacket by the neck - a 3" rip and about 2 holes larger than a dime running alone by the collar. I gave the suit to the lady behind the counter, and only scored today:

I don't know. Finding a perfectly nice Kiton SC and not being able to do anything with it because it is a US52 is pretty bad. :violin:

Pawz

Reaction score
Found several vintage Mac Phergus wool shirt jackets in Medium size, today at the Sally. Worth picking up?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, also very true.

I don't know. Finding a perfectly nice Kiton SC and not being able to do anything with it because it is a US52 is pretty bad.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
Staple ruined my only find today. BB Golden Fleece blue/white microcheck (think GDL-style in the conservative business dress thread). Not my size, but this thing was really nice. Gorgeous MOP buttons (I think), no stains or even signs of wear. French cuffs. Very nice. Removed the staples by pulling up the prongs to avoid unnecessary injuries. But nope, staple had already left two noticeable holes right in the collar. There were two others, too, since someone must have attempted it the first time, it didn't take, and then they just tried again right above.
cloud.gif

So, I essentially paid for MOP buttons today
lol8[1].gif
. C'est la vie. I think I'll take it to my new tailor and see if she can't make it into a pocket square or two for me. It's really nice sea island cotton, so for a couple of bucks, I hope it is salvageable.

If they only left a "hole" and did not snag threads when you pulled them out, 96.7% of the time you can steam them pretty well or damp/iron on the back of the collar and get ride of the "holes". I've found most of them arnt holes as much as the threads being pushed to the side when the staple penetrates the cotton and slips between the threads
mwink[1].gif

Also easy MOP trick I found is if the buttons are cold to the touch of your lip. Plastic will not be cold. Works every time.

Larson McCord

Reaction score

I picked this up because it looked like a fairly recent Hickey Freeman tag. I was also assuming that this is a sport coat. It fits, but I got it home and my wife asked me why I always pick up used-car-salesman clothes.

That thing is super awesome

hyakku

Reaction score
Forgot my phone at home today so couldn't take pics, came across someone's like entire stash of Pink shirts, I think they were either 17/35 or 16/41 can't really recall, but there were at least 9, all different types of material. Didn't grab because they were up to about 9 or 10 a pop and I wasn't sure if anyone was interested. Also had to pass on a pair of NWT Mabitex (had a tear above the label) and a pair of Luciano Barbera pants because it looked like someone ran through mud at the bottom of them. Got a few things though:

First, gonna need Spoo in here. Can't tell if this Versace is real and if so from when. Figured it can't be worth TOO much, it's like a nylon cotton blend or possibly just all nylon. Medusa head buttons and whatnot:

GkT92l.jpg

W1fxll.jpg

l0jMwl.jpg

f0c3f8b3_778415079LL.gif

First Gitman Brothers Shirt. Can see why people like this. 15/5 / 34 (Available for now)
D2U2Ml.jpg

mOBWal.jpg

xWSYql.jpg

And first Pendleton pickup, wondering if anyone can tell me if it's worth throwing this on the bay? Mint condition, Made in USA, Has a nylon collar area, etc.
g6rHgl.jpg

0yqLpl.jpg
(Accurate Color pic)
j1Uekl.jpg

U1xt0l.jpg

Last edited:

Madroaster

Reaction score

Staple ruined my only find today. BB Golden Fleece blue/white microcheck (think GDL-style in the conservative business dress thread). Not my size, but this thing was really nice. Gorgeous MOP buttons (I think), no stains or even signs of wear. French cuffs. Very nice. Removed the staples by pulling up the prongs to avoid unnecessary injuries. But nope, staple had already left two noticeable holes right in the collar. There were two others, too, since someone must have attempted it the first time, it didn't take, and then they just tried again right above. :cloud:
So, I essentially paid for MOP buttons today :lol:. C'est la vie. I think I'll take it to my new tailor and see if she can't make it into a pocket square or two for me. It's really nice sea island cotton, so for a couple of bucks, I hope it is salvageable.

I sometimes pick things up for salvage like this. MOP if it's decent, and sometimes the fabric is good for pocket squares (as you mentioned), or to be recycled into other stuff (shirting makes good bag liners, for example. Luxury shirting makes even better bag liners.). But only when it's really, really cheap, and otherwise damaged.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ok, so not technically a thrift find, but the below demonstrates the possibilities that may arise from our thrifting adventures....
So about 2 weeks ago someone sends me a question through one of my Ebay listings asking if I was actually located in the area and if I would consider consigning some items for him. At first I thought 1) this is very strange and sounds suspicious, and 2) I've never consigned anything before, not really sure if I was ready for that jump. Anyways, I hesitantly went along and exchanged a few emails with him, and after doing some sleuthing found out that he was most likely legit.
Long story short, I just walked out of his house this morning with the following:
2 Kiton Suits
1 Oxxford Suit
1 Hermes Pigskin Jacket
1 Seraphin Leather Jacket (softest leather and most beautiful leather jacket I have ever seen)
1 Seraphin Full-Length Shearling Overcoat (F****** ridiculous)
1 Pair basically unworn John Lobb Boots
1 Pair lightly worn Silvano Lattanzi derbies
1 pair Kiton cashmere pants
1 Stefano Ricci 100% Silk Black and Green Tuxedo shirt (this thing is wild)
A bunch of Brioni, Borrelli, Barba shirts, etc.....
Um.........ya. :)

Congrats! Sizes? Particularly Lobb Boots.

First, gonna need Spoo in here. Can't tell if this Versace is real and if so from when. Figured it can't be worth TOO much, it's like a nylon cotton blend or possibly just all nylon. Medusa head buttons and whatnot:
f0c3f8b3_778415079LL.gif

Yeah, real - 2002, pretty sure that was a rayon/modal blend. You'll get $50 on a good day.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody ever hear of a brand called NVD Nederland or maybe NVM Nederland or something similar? I saw a shirt by them today that looked pretty nice, big buttons, nice pattern, but left it because the checkout line was super long. It was alongside of some shirts from Skip Gambert, which I have heard of, but those didn't look like anything special.

NDX? Orange label, right?

Not worth grabbing. I used to see them in excess amounts at Burlington Coat Factory when I still when there. I've since written it off as a lost cause.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Well, gents, I'd asked for a "first cufflinks" recommendation a couple weeks back and after a couple of you chimed in, I explored a lot of thrifts...and took a deep dive at the THomas Pink botique at Caesar's in Vegas (they have lots...almost bought sterling "buttons" as was recommended...but too pricey, heh....also, went into an Etro outlet at an outlet mall...what an f'd up place...they have everything there, cufflinks, too, but sort of "Flags of the World" motif for like 8 billion dollars per cufflink -- but nice sweaters!).

I could not decide on mother of pearl or sterling.

So I just bought these sterling MOP ones on eBay. $26 shipped. How'd I do?

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

I picked this up because it looked like a fairly recent Hickey Freeman tag. I was also assuming that this is a sport coat. It fits, but I got it home and my wife asked me why I always pick up used-car-salesman clothes.

My congrats as well. I thrifted a suit like this a while back and it has a similar tag. This is more a question, but the cust # may be a guy who special ordered it? He's got his own customer #?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads