• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledude

Reaction score
I was just going to say I found my first Craig Taylor shirt the other day. I'm not too keen on double cuffs, but I like how this brand handles it: using a linked pair of slightly over-sized MOP buttons for cufflinks, the same kind found elsewhere on the shirt. You could probably make your own pretty easily.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Funny you should mention that, I was just gonna try and find some MOP buttons and thick thread to do that with. I have a few double-cuffed shirts that could use something like this; I like to wear the cuffs nested rather than back-to-back for more casual applications, 'cause you get basically a barrel cuff with extra snazz.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pieces found over this past week, all available before posting on B&S and eBay. Like New condition = worn 1-3 times max.

Vintage SULKA Tan overcoat tag size 50 in Excellent condition, very few light discoloration spots (appears as a different lighting of tan, they are not stains), not easy to notice from more than 3 feet away
sulka2.png

sulka1.png

sulka3.png

sulka8.png

sulka7.png

sulka6.png

sulka4.png

sulka5.png

Like-New ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA White shirt, Button Cuff, tag size 41-16, Large. Dried clean once with very faint writing inside.
ezwhiteii1.png

ezwhiteii2.png

ezwhiteii3.png

Like-New ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA Blue shirt, Button Cuff, tag size 41-16, Large.
zegnablue1.png

zegnablue2.png

Like-New ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA White shirt, French Cuff, tag size 42-16.5, Large
ezwhitei1.png

ezwhitei2.png

Like-New HICKEY FREEMAN White shirt, Button Cuff, tag size 16.5-35. Dried clean once with writing inside, not visible when worn.
hfwhite1.png

hfwhite2.png

hfwhite3.png

Like-New HICKEY FREEMAN Light Blue shirt, Button Cuff, tag size 16.5-35. Dried clean once with writing inside, not visible when worn.
hfblue1.png

hfblue2.png

hfblue3.png

Like-New Stripes CHARLES TYRWHITT shirt, Button Cuff, tag size 16.5-35, 42-89 cm. Dried clean once.
charles1s.png

charles2.png

Like-New Stripes HILDITCH & KEY for Saks Fifth Avenue shirt, French Cuff, tag size 17 Long (L). Dried clean once with writing inside collar.
hild1.png

hild2.png

hild3.png

NWOT JOHN VARVATOS USA Floral Prints Light Blue Teal Shirt, tag size XXL, bent collar (does not seem to straighten out)
jv1.png

jv2t.png

jv3.png

img5296u.jpg

Measurements of Shoulder 19.75" and Chest 24.25"

Like-New JOHN VARVATOS mainline Light Blue shirt, Button Cuff, tag size 42-16.5. Fabric "120's 2 ply cotton", Made in Italy.
A NWT Brooks Brothers 346 Black V-Neck Sweater in Large, 88% Merino Wool, 10% Nylon, 2% Spandex
A few more Ermenegildo Zegna pieces in Excellent condition: khaki chino in 34W, blue corduroy in 38W, jeans (Zegna Sport) in 40W. A pair of pleated Zanella for Dan Newell in 32W, charcoal birdeyes.
A Like-New Robert Graham shirt for Ebay.

Passed on quite a few interesting pieces, including a Lanvin SC with some Chinese characters inside (I took it as its fake, lol, though tag looks real), a Hickey Freeman Collection SC in Super 110's Loro Piana, Givenchy Blazer + Vest but no sight of pants, a pair of Canali jeans, a Burberry London shirt with label looking really old and unfamiliar. Will post some more pants later.

Last edited:

Madroaster

Reaction score

This. It's worked 85% of the time for me when I had holes from either staples or those stupid plastic tags (which IMO are worse than staples when put through fabric).

One of the SAs I go to plastic-tags through the yoke on all shirts, but only when they get a new, lazy employee. Management is pretty quick to stop it, but not before it's ruined a few racks of shirts. I find about 75% of the time the tag breaks a couple threads; after that, the shirt can't survive a wash. But when the fibres aren't broken, then yes--the holes do generally close up just fine.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing, debating whether or not to ask.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In between errands, I hit a couple of local shops yesterday and today. No huge scores, but I did pick up three recent E. Zegna shirts in the 15.5 size range. Two have a white-on-white woven windowpane patter, and the other has a self-stripe pattern. The two windowpane shirts are french cuff, the other barrel cuff. Each is tagged 15.5 x 39, but measure 15.25 x 23 (shoulder to cuff). 18" shoulders, 22" pit to pit. Real MOP buttons, but the slimmer kind; not like the big beefy ones I found a couple of weeks ago.

They're too small for me and so are available. They will hit B&S etc. in the next week or so. They need "the method," but if folks want to make offers as is, happy to consider.

I also found a sweet lavender with dark purple and blue polka dot/geometric pattern tie from Bloomies that I'm keeping. Pics if I get a chance before my biz trip.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's after some Lexol, Venetian Cream, a coat of dark brown Meltonian cream polish (to get some color back in) and some Obenauf's LP

Holy crap! I have nearly the same bag, and just assumed the original color was what it was supposed to look like. I'm doing THIS!

Oh, also, yesterday my Dad -- a retired apparel exec -- gave me some of his workhorse suits and trousers to sell. I haven't sorted through all of it yet, but it will all be in the 48R/L x 42 x 31 range (possibly one or two 46, possibly one or two 50). Mostly Abboud and Armani, but a couple of Val MTMs (that I have to decide whether I want to keep for posterity/weight gain). PM me if you're interested and give me a sense of what you're looking for and I can get you deets and pics.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've still got some waiting for you :)

You are on my "hit with a PM soon" list. I have got a bit of a stockpile at home, I will look at our last PM, go through your sizes listed and play a mix and match game with my stuff, whatever missing, trade plus bonus $$$. Whetever works ;)

Hm, good point. Still... a desheveled Kiton? Pure torture for those who find it. Pics and measurements of my haul stated above are below....
-Borrelli Luxury Vintage Linen Shirt. Sz Large. Chest: 26', Shoulders: 20", Sleeves: 24.25", Length: 35".
-Borrelli Shirt. Sz Large. Chest: 24", Shoulders: 19.5", Sleeves: 23.25", Length: 33".
-Brunello Cucinelli Linen Shirt. Sz XXL. Chest: 24", Shoulders: 19", Sleeves: 24", Length: 31".
-Brunello Cucinelli Cotton Shirt. Sz XL. Chest: 23.25", Shoulders: 19", Sleeves: 24", Length: 32.5".

Heartbreak - why such short sleeves!? That is just mean of Borrelli and Cucinelli to do that :(

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can you tell that a shirt has only been dry cleaned one time?

Shirt stiffness, amount of staining, yellowing on shirts (collar, sleeve, pit), fabric piling and dry cleaner tag/marker of name can give away a lot IMO

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but once, with that much of certainty? That's certainly not a claim I'd ever be willing to make in a listing, though I'm admittedly very conservative in my descriptions.

Shirt stiffness, amount of staining, yellowing on shirts (collar, sleeve, pit), fabric piling and dry cleaner tag/marker of name can give away a lot IMO

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, but once, with that much of certainty? That's certainly not a claim I'd ever be willing to make in a listing, though I'm admittedly very conservative in my descriptions.
Well, some of the white shirts came NWT but seen some yellowing around the collar (prob been tried on a few times), so I did some soaking in Oxyclean. So i'd called it "Preowned, but like-new condition" :embar:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, dude...I dunno, you've got to be careful how you list things. I received a couple of NWOT! items this year; one had a dry cleaning tag, the other had been hemmed.
:facepalm:

Last edited:

46n2

Reaction score
Picked up some stuff today that I'll put up tomorrow, but this is a follow up on the Coach bag I got from 46n2 after some TLC

Here's the before:

Here's after I took the pen marks off with some rubbing alcohol and a xylene blender pen

Here's after some Lexol, Venetian Cream, a coat of dark brown Meltonian cream polish (to get some color back in) and some Obenauf's LP

It all looks like the bottom right... some shine on the rest of it makes it look lighter

A little bit of discoloration where I took out the ink, but not terrible

Turned out pretty well I think. Thanks Drew!

That looks sweet ! Good job . Glad you like !

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I feel less bad screwing the pooch and missing out on this one...it went to someone whose restoration abilities far surpass mine. Well done man.

Picked up some stuff today that I'll put up tomorrow, but this is a follow up on the Coach bag I got from 46n2 after some TLC

Here's the before:

Here's after I took the pen marks off with some rubbing alcohol and a xylene blender pen

It all looks like the bottom right... some shine on the rest of it makes it look lighter

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Very nice! I've got a vintage pair of Alden captoe workboots that I need to do something major like that to. Previous owner CAKED ON black dye and wax paste over the original oxblood color. WTF!?!

Here's the before:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads