The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Well, I know it's too small for you two, but this is definitely not the type of thing I could just slyly slip into my wardrobe, so it's available.

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I would say a moth war of the worst kind :(

I knew this piece was beyond reweaving, they would need to take too much material and it is tough for those reweavers to pattern match - they do their best work with solid / lightly patterned garments, particularly with coarse wools / larger twines - these fine super 150's / 180's render it very hard for them to reweave without leaving a trace. It is nigh on impossible with a pattern like POW, and absolutely impossible if they need material that is not available on the suit without altering it significantly.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ughhhhh. I've done that on a few occasions...got super excited by a ridiculous find, only to realize in the checkout line that there's some massive hole or something I overlooked in my excited state. Worst. feeling. ever.

Whoever said "it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" has clearly never found a hole-riddled Kiton, cuz that's some heartbreaking lost love right there.

4. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Anybody ever hear of a brand called NVD Nederland or maybe NVM Nederland or something similar? I saw a shirt by them today that looked pretty nice, big buttons, nice pattern, but left it because the checkout line was super long. It was alongside of some shirts from Skip Gambert, which I have heard of, but those didn't look like anything special.

5. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I don't know. Finding a perfectly nice Kiton SC and not being able to do anything with it because it is a US52 is pretty bad. :violin:

6. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Found several vintage Mac Phergus wool shirt jackets in Medium size, today at the Sally. Worth picking up?

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Haha, also very true.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Quote:
    If they only left a "hole" and did not snag threads when you pulled them out, 96.7% of the time you can steam them pretty well or damp/iron on the back of the collar and get ride of the "holes". I've found most of them arnt holes as much as the threads being pushed to the side when the staple penetrates the cotton and slips between the threads [​IMG]

Also easy MOP trick I found is if the buttons are cold to the touch of your lip. Plastic will not be cold. Works every time.

9. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

That thing is super awesome

10. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Forgot my phone at home today so couldn't take pics, came across someone's like entire stash of Pink shirts, I think they were either 17/35 or 16/41 can't really recall, but there were at least 9, all different types of material. Didn't grab because they were up to about 9 or 10 a pop and I wasn't sure if anyone was interested. Also had to pass on a pair of NWT Mabitex (had a tear above the label) and a pair of Luciano Barbera pants because it looked like someone ran through mud at the bottom of them. Got a few things though:

First, gonna need Spoo in here. Can't tell if this Versace is real and if so from when. Figured it can't be worth TOO much, it's like a nylon cotton blend or possibly just all nylon. Medusa head buttons and whatnot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Gitman Brothers Shirt. Can see why people like this. 15/5 / 34 (Available for now)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And first Pendleton pickup, wondering if anyone can tell me if it's worth throwing this on the bay? Mint condition, Made in USA, Has a nylon collar area, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (Accurate Color pic)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Madroaster

Madroaster Well-Known Member

I sometimes pick things up for salvage like this. MOP if it's decent, and sometimes the fabric is good for pocket squares (as you mentioned), or to be recycled into other stuff (shirting makes good bag liners, for example. Luxury shirting makes even better bag liners.). But only when it's really, really cheap, and otherwise damaged.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Congrats! Sizes? Particularly Lobb Boots.

Yeah, real - 2002, pretty sure that was a rayon/modal blend. You'll get $50 on a good day.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

NDX? Orange label, right?
    [​IMG]

Not worth grabbing. I used to see them in excess amounts at Burlington Coat Factory when I still when there. I've since written it off as a lost cause.

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Well, gents, I'd asked for a "first cufflinks" recommendation a couple weeks back and after a couple of you chimed in, I explored a lot of thrifts...and took a deep dive at the THomas Pink botique at Caesar's in Vegas (they have lots...almost bought sterling "buttons" as was recommended...but too pricey, heh....also, went into an Etro outlet at an outlet mall...what an f'd up place...they have everything there, cufflinks, too, but sort of "Flags of the World" motif for like 8 billion dollars per cufflink -- but nice sweaters!).

I could not decide on mother of pearl or sterling.

So I just bought these sterling MOP ones on eBay. $26 shipped. How'd I do?

[​IMG]

15. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

My congrats as well. I thrifted a suit like this a while back and it has a similar tag. This is more a question, but the cust # may be a guy who special ordered it? He's got his own customer #?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.