The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Would have also prob pegged it at a 46, but thats besides the point. If he already left negative feedback then there is no point to grant the return and tell him tough lucky buddy. (you dont have to use such nice words)

Anything look like it would fit a short skinny man like myself....36S, 30 waist, 14.5 shirts and 7-7.5 shoes?? At least one of those has to have been hit with the shrink gun [​IMG]

2. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I got a few decent things today, I'll post photos if I get a chance later:

Two Wells of Mayfair (now incorporated into Davies & Son) grey pinstripe DB suits and a blazer.

An amazing 1974 Maurice Sedwell three-piece in a variegated pinstripe.

A provincial tailor heavyweight bespoke tweed suit made from Hardys Allsport.

A very, very old 'Freeman' (pre Hickey Freeman?) polo coat, pretty much in tatters but it's entirely handsewn and very cool.

3. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Picked up these awesome Red Wings Sz 12 D. Super clean. Made in USA. No wear on Vibram Sole. Vintage? Googled- they look exactly like 855's from the 70's. Any Red Wing experts in the house? Available

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sartorialess

Sartorialess Member

Well, I'm the thrifter that Mainy met up with although he did lead me on for a while before coming clean with his name...initially he claimed he was just a lurker :D Thankfully after meeting him some of his luck rubbed off on me and over the last few days I picked up:
    oxford cloth french cuff lorenzini shirt
    awesome plaid pattern ghiradelli shirt
    royal purple with white stripes french cuff RLPL
    all size 16.5/34
    A collection of Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers braces
    3 Ferragamo ties
    1 pair of size 13 Martin Dingman made in Italy loafers
    and my personal find of the month:
    Large Double RRL heavy suede jacket with copper buttons. It is built like a tank! I'll post pictures if I get over the weekend laziness but for now it's off to watch the KU/MU game!

5. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

I would have been all over that!

6. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

Is that shirt made of chocolate or something?

7. amadar

amadar Senior member

Ok, so not technically a thrift find, but the below demonstrates the possibilities that may arise from our thrifting adventures....

So about 2 weeks ago someone sends me a question through one of my Ebay listings asking if I was actually located in the area and if I would consider consigning some items for him. At first I thought 1) this is very strange and sounds suspicious, and 2) I've never consigned anything before, not really sure if I was ready for that jump. Anyways, I hesitantly went along and exchanged a few emails with him, and after doing some sleuthing found out that he was most likely legit.

Long story short, I just walked out of his house this morning with the following:

2 Kiton Suits
    1 Oxxford Suit
    1 Hermes Pigskin Jacket
    1 Seraphin Leather Jacket (softest leather and most beautiful leather jacket I have ever seen)
    1 Seraphin Full-Length Shearling Overcoat (F****** ridiculous)
    1 Pair basically unworn John Lobb Boots
    1 Pair lightly worn Silvano Lattanzi derbies
    1 pair Kiton cashmere pants
    1 Stefano Ricci 100% Silk Black and Green Tuxedo shirt (this thing is wild)
    A bunch of Brioni, Borrelli, Barba shirts, etc.....

Um.........ya. :)

8. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

So did you consign or just buy outright?

9. amadar

amadar Senior member

Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear.....these are now on consignment. However, there are definitely a few items that I may end up purchasing at a discount :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  10. mainy

mainy Senior member

That rlpl shirt is messed up on the collar :( assuming it's the same one I passed on, the collar points are frayed. I missed that at first myself.

11. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Hello everyone. Been lurking on here for awhile and after reading through pages and pages of this thread, I thought it was getting juicy enough to say Hello and congratulate you all on your amazing finds.

I noticed you're all into trading...how does it work?
    Anyway, some of my memorable finds within the last year are:

1. Oxxford Clothing 2-Button Blazer with interesting Brass Buttons. Been wearing this one like crazy. Maybe a little too much cause the top button just came undone the other day :(

2. Brooks Brothers, Black Fleece by Thom Browne. Navy Blue, 3-Button, Half-Lined Sportcoat with White Buttons. I may have overpaid for this but its my first Black Fleece and it fit me good enough to wear in the summer. $35 :/

3. Sportshirt by Bespoken. Grey. Im thinking of getting rid of this, its a little too thin for my taste, but we'll see how I feel when summer comes around.

4. Charles Tyrwhitt Dress Shirts, 3 of them. Windowpane pattern on all.

5. Brioni Blazer with Old English "B" Gold Buttons. This one is cool, but I found a couple of minor holes....but in the pocket I also found extra fabric. Would it be worth taking in for re-weaving? I found a place about an 1.5hrs away that does it but they charge like $45 a hole. It looks like newer Brioni.

6. Ermenegildo Zegna (Newer) Suit Jackets. Fully-Canvassed.

7. Hermes Neckties. 4 of them, all in the same rack. Look like someone was cleaning out there collection.

8. Vintage Emilio Pucci ties. 2 of them. Same rack, Same day.

9. Gianluca Isaia Napoli Suit. Navy-Blue-Gray'ish. Functional Buttons on the Cuffs. PinStriped.

10. Bruno Magli. Brown Loafers. Just my size, but the wife hates them.

Anyway, ill stop there. Ill start posting photos of the stuff I find from now on. Glad I came across this thread, the wife gets tired of blabbering about my finds and its nice to share them with people who actually care!

12. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Oh, I do have a question, in your opinion, What is the best commonly-found suit?
    We all see tons of Calvin Klein, Claiborne, DKNY, Alfani, etc. etc.

In terms of construction and quality, which do you think is the best and why?

Reason why im asking is because i'd like to find suits for my father's wardrobe, I just dont think he would appreciate the big names I sometimes find (or maybe im just too greedy :)

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Same thing happened to me when I sold a Stefano Ricci silk shirt. A local CEO messaged me saying he had a ton of high-end silk shirts that he wanted to consign. He did. Ricci, Gucci, RLPL, etc. It was great while it lasted. You're gonna make a killing on that stuff. Even with the consignment cut - that's insane. What did this guy do for a living?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  14. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

I see a lot of Armani and lesser Armani lines; but the silhouette might not suit your father.

15. amadar

amadar Senior member

Nataku, this is crazy.....the listing that the guy messaged me on was a Silk Stefano Ricci shirt too!! wtf!?!? This guy is a fairly high-profile MD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.