• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you to all who responded about the medial creases in my Strands. I went to my AE store where they measured me as an 11.5B (the original shoes were 12D, so their original fitting must have been based solely on length - "um yeah you're a 12"). They exchanged the shoes for me. Having been used to casual and "comfort dress" shoes these feel fairly snug and hard but I guess they will mold to my feet better and break in where they're supposed to.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any recommendations for getting the smell of cigarette smoke from shoe leather? The shoes smell like they've been stored in an ashtray for the past decade or so, quite incredible.

The leather is burnished (they're EGs) so am keen to keep the finish on the leather, hence not wanting to go in heavy-handed with renovateur...

Stirling

Reaction score

Does anyone here have any recommendations for getting the smell of cigarette smoke from shoe leather? The shoes smell like they've been stored in an ashtray for the past decade or so, quite incredible.

The leather is burnished (they're EGs) so am keen to keep the finish on the leather, hence not wanting to go in heavy-handed with renovateur...

Air them on the washing line, Sunday is apparently forecast to be sunny and dry!

Also you could try stuffing coffee granules or even cat litter into an old sock (ladies tights are better) and stuffing it into the shoes for three days and then repeat if necessary to absorb the smoke smell.

Finish of course with a light conditioning of renovateur and use pommadier or pate de luxe (or both) as the fresh smelling turpentine will no doubt help.

Ps you could try a dedicated product like febreze but I have no experience of using it.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Air them on the washing line, Sunday is apparently forecast to be sunny and dry!

Also you could try stuffing coffee granules or even cat litter into an old sock (ladies tights are better) and stuffing it into the shoes for three days and then repeat if necessary to absorb the smoke smell.

Finish of course with a light conditioning of renovateur and use pommadier or pate de luxe (or both) as the fresh smelling turpentine will no doubt help.

Ps you could try a dedicated product like febreze but I have no experience of using it.

Sunny and dry? I'll believe that when I see it! Looks like the month's-worth-of-rainfall-in-three-days has just kicked off outside, definitely glad for waxy coats and boots at the moment!

I'll try one of your remedies and see where that takes me, cheers! They're a stunning pair of shoes (EG's Dundee model, so ideal for the current weather if they were in my size) and could use some TLC...

jssdc

Reaction score

Thank you to all who responded about the medial creases in my Strands.  I went to my AE store where they measured me as an 11.5B (the original shoes were 12D, so their original fitting must have been based solely on length - "um yeah you're a 12").  They exchanged the shoes for me.  Having been used to casual and "comfort dress" shoes these feel fairly snug and hard but I guess they will mold to my feet better and break in where they're supposed to.

That's pretty damned good service.

scholseys

Reaction score
These are John Lobb Lavendons with matte finish and unfortunately there were nicked. Guys it would help a great deal if you guys could suggest something to whiten them up. I tried brushing them off, but it seems the white paint of the shoe came off.

Stirling

Reaction score

These are John Lobb Lavendons with matte finish and unfortunately there were nicked. Guys it would help a great deal if you guys could suggest something to whiten them up. I tried brushing them off, but it seems the white paint of the shoe came

If you'd like to do them yourself there's nowt better than Angelus white acrylic paint, otherwise any decent cobbler should be able to do the job for you.

azumi

Reaction score
What color of Saphir shoe cream and wax polish I should use for this color of shoes?

Now I have Dark and Medium brown, Neutral, Mahogany, Hermes Red, Burgundy and Black. The neutral color is safe but I don't know if I can use another color that match the original color of this shoes.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
^^^ if these EGs are the burnt pine color then use Saphir's medium brown color. For my shoes in burnt pine, I have found it to be the closest match.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

There wasn't much follow up on this at the time, nor can I find reference to people using Saphir Greasy Leather Cream elsewhere on SF. Does anyone have any experience with it and opinions on its use?

There seem to be many schools of thought with CXL, ranging from not conditioning (due to it being packed with oils) to VSC (Horween recommends) to this Saphir Greasy (Kirby recommends) to Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP (Crane's recommends, more for hard wear) to coconut oil, Blackrock Leather n Rich, Bicks 4, Lexol, and more.

I know you really can't go too wrong, it'll be fine any way you go, etc. etc. Consider this a point of curiosity :)

I believe that we are the only people that actually carry the Saphir Greasy Leather Cream. The Hanger Project's commitment to Saphir is to carry the deepest and widest inventory of their products. We carry a lot or archaic, low-volume products that many other rational retailers would never commit to.

Happy to give away up to 5 (full) samples of the Chromexcel Greasy Leather Cream to anyone on the forum that's interested in trying it and posting a review here.

There are two key characteristics that make this product for greasy leathers:
1. There are NO WAXES. Greasy leather is not meant to be waxed. It ruins the look of the leather. Saphir's product does not contain any waxes.
2. The product is based on Neat's Footoil. It nourishes the leather with OILS -- exactly how it is made -- and not with any of the products that normally condition calfskin.

I've used it on a pair of chromexcel shoes that I have from Ron, and I can say that it works fantastically. What is also great is that it comes in neutral, brown, and black. So you can repigment your brown shoes, which I find to be essential given that I am significantly less careful with my Chromexcel boots than I am with my dress shoes.

If you're interested in taking me up on the sample offer, PM me.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Fine Pair of Shoes carries Saphir Greasy Leather Cream in the UK.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an experience here. New York has seen some disgustingly snowy weather recently and a pair of high boots I have were looking awful. Covered in salt and such. I used Glenkaren's cleaner/conditioner and they got out all of the salt stains and seemed to really "plump up" the leather, especially in the creases. It was the first time I used it on my shoes actually. In the past I have only used it on my briefcase, and box calf travel bag.

It brushed to a low glow shine. Venturing out into yet another snowy day they seem to be repelling water really well. I guess that coconut oil does very well. One thing that I noticed though is in areas where it might be even slightly heavy dry whitish. I am guessing because it is neutral, so it is important not to over use. I only really saw this in hard to get to areas such as in the inseam area between the welt and upper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads