1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. bradp

bradp Senior member

is it possible to strip off accumulated polish w/ saphir renovateur? it is advertised as being capable of this but i'm having some trouble (and am wary of rubbing to briskly).

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Why do all shoes seem to involve '200 operations' and 'take eight weeks to make'?

3. itraxx

itraxx Senior member

Possible, yes. But Renomat will do the same job much more efficiently.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's not a type of leather, but rather a process done to the leather to give it a certain appearance and finish.

It won't. It will lift some light dirt and such, but the product is water based so it is useless on picking up wax. It has waxes and non-polar oils so it will soften things up, but that's not the intended purpose of the product, to lift wax from the shoe. As above, renomat is for that.

5. deburn

deburn Senior member

I have a pair of navy shell cordovan chukkas (from Ron Rider) that have several water spots on them. I wiped it with a damp cloth and brushed with a horsehair brush, which didn't have any effect, except that the damp cloth turned indigo blue which was the color coming off the shoes.

So now the shoes look a bit faded and still have the water spots. Any suggestions?

6. patrickBOOTH

Use a solvent over the water spots like renomat, or some alcohol. The spots are basically minerals from the water caught under the finish. They come out pretty easily when you use a solvent. Then you have to build back up the finish using thin layers of cordovan cream, wax polish, and topping it off with renovateur to smooth things out. The best thing to do with shell is avoid getting them wet.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  7. deburn

deburn Senior member

Seriously? I've read what seems like tons of comments on here saying shell is great in the rain

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  8. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

well then I heavily abuse my shell, they're my bad weather go to shoes...

9. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

fwiw - I've found that older shell (which has been used for a year or more) shows fewer water spots than new shell. My guess is that new shell has some extra layers of finish caked on top, which might be the cause of the water spots (minerals in water getting trapped under, etc). My method is to try not wearing new shell in the rain/snow for a year, and then use them as all-weather shoes (except if I'm somewhere where there's a lot of salt on the streets).

10. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Shell is great in the rain, they just don't look great afterwards.

1 person likes this.
  11. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

^^ which is more or less how I interpreted pB's comments. Not that the rain damages the leather but that it looks like crap afterwards, so if the objective is to keep your shoes looking nice then shell's not the best bad-weather choice.

1 person likes this.
  12. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, your feet will be dry, but the leather will look like shit without an overhaul. In general shell with a thinner finish and not a lot of wax polish will look better than highly polished shell because it allows the water to evaporate without getting caught up in the wax.

2 people like this.
  13. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I was trying to decide which pair of Marlows to wear today... and ended up with some Carmina calf brogues. Good thing, cuz it's raining out now and Marlows spot like no other shell.

1 person likes this.
  14. Munky

Munky Senior member

MgoCrimson, it's nice to have the choice... When you wear your shoes, remember to keep your feet on the ground.

1 person likes this.
  15. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

Apparently not all shell spots. Some samples do it a lot, some less, some not at all. Like blooming. Varies from lot to lot. So one could end up with shell that looks fine after the rain and some that will be covered with spots. No way to predict.

I don't think resistance to water spotting is a reason to buy these shoes.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

Alden seems to spot less because they put a shellac over their shell shoes.

1 person likes this.
  17. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

Just bought a second hand pair of APC navy derbies. It's looking a bit faded, not quite navy anymore. Granted it could be the lighting, but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to darken it back up.

Oh, I also cleaned it up with some leather cleaner, and some of the dye looks to have come off.

EDIT: second not send.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  18. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

black wax polish.

19. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

got a pair of AE strands in walnut today and really like the look of them as is. what products would you guys recommend to use going forward that will maintain them well?

thanks

20. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

Curious - specifically wax, or would a cream be all right? Was looking at Saphir shoe cream, specifically.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014