• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OFFICIAL Fragrance Split Discussion Thread

curt2121

Reaction score
Got my BdP on monday, USPS did a number on the box, but Rambo had packed the hell out of it, so it was just fine inside!

As far as this quick poll, I say yes to both (having been one of the people with under 10 posts but paid on two splits now, but I can see where issues could arise)

bibs

Reaction score
I'm one of those falling under number 2 and I think a prudent approach to us lurkers would be to ask for some sort of internet cred like an Ebay account or some other forum account that keeps track of sales feedback

thecentennial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
im interested in a tobacco vanille split as well as a musc ravageur split. i will gladly host if there is enough interest!

i also have two spots in my tuscan leather split available.

Froggy, I'd be in your tobacco vanille and musc ravageyr splits, for 20-40 mls each, depending which size you get. PM me if you go ahead. Shipping overseas though, hope thats not an issue.

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Quick Poll: Should members be allowed to buy more than one slot in the split?

Quick Poll 2: Should members with less than a certain number of posts (say <10 for this example) be able to get in at all?

I've gotten a few complaints about these things and would like to get your opinions on this.

1. Yes, should make it easier for splitters to fill all their slots.
2. Yes, I don't think there is much difference between someone with six posts and someone who made ten inane comments to get in on a split. Then again, I would say it is at the splitter's option who he chooses to deal with as he is the one taking the time and bearing the risk.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My $0.02: 1. Yes, I think the splitter may have arbitrarily decided on Xml decants and some people want Y... So If I want 15ml and one other person does too then we'll just take 3 x 10ml spots. If there's enough interest then we add another bottle to the split. If people want 30-50ml individually out of a 100ml bottle that's different. I suppose it's up to the splitter though. Like I want 15ml of Knize even though the portions are 10ml, but if someone else wants that too then we'll take 3 spots and it's all the same to the seller if they'll accept that proposal. 2. No, I have hesitations about new members. I think the whole split thing is sort of something the regulars can do because it's in good faith but relies on some sense of familiarity. If Jeff and Bob and I all post in the scent of the day thread about how we like X but don't want a whole bottle, or Mark keeps going on about how much he loves this one frag and we all want to try it... I think that's where the splits sort of come from. This isn't a fragrance board. I don't know if it's arbitrary but I'd think someone who's been around at least either 6 months or has say 30-50 posts is a 'regular' by most basic definition. All that being said, if I'm not the one hosting the split I don't really care. It's not MY risk. I just make it as a suggestion to be prudent but it's up to the seller really. I wouldn't accept money from people who I don't know just because there are ways to screw others ('it never arrived!') and I don't have so much faith in those ol' humans... Today I'm wearing Tuscan Leather - Smokin'! If you have doubts, try this one out. It's solid. PS - Recognition for Rambo... You're WAY too nice/generous with these splits. I'm sure it takes you time, money, energy, etc to work all this stuff out. Build in buffers for shipping charges and that sort of thing. If you end up overcharging by a few dollars it's really not the end of the world, however it's not fair FOR YOU who's being so good about this whole thing to get screwed because the numbers didn't work out as planned. I'm all for buying cheap, but please just build in reasonable buffers and I'm happy to pay for them since you're doing us all a favor to begin with.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
Just wanted to say that I got my Tuscan Leather split from Mr. Frog and the transaction went perfectly and it was packed nicely. Also in for the Knize.

thank you!

loveswatching

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
PS - Recognition for Rambo... You're WAY too nice/generous with these splits. I'm sure it takes you time, money, energy, etc to work all this stuff out. Build in buffers for shipping charges and that sort of thing. If you end up overcharging by a few dollars it's really not the end of the world, however it's not fair FOR YOU who's being so good about this whole thing to get screwed because the numbers didn't work out as planned. I'm all for buying cheap, but please just build in reasonable buffers and I'm happy to pay for them since you're doing us all a favor to begin with.
+10

Thanks Rambo!! I agree you should build in reasonable buffers if you are being a middle man.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
PS - Recognition for Rambo... You're WAY too nice/generous with these splits. I'm sure it takes you time, money, energy, etc to work all this stuff out. Build in buffers for shipping charges and that sort of thing. If you end up overcharging by a few dollars it's really not the end of the world, however it's not fair FOR YOU who's being so good about this whole thing to get screwed because the numbers didn't work out as planned. I'm all for buying cheap, but please just build in reasonable buffers and I'm happy to pay for them since you're doing us all a favor to begin with.
Thanks MC. I'm just trying to give a little back to the forum that's done so much for me. I'm actually putting quite a bit of time into this. I spent 3 hours over the past 2 days just answering PM's for the Knize split. I was thinking about putting in a set amount but then, how do I choose the amount? Plus, at some point it sort of distorts the split pricing. Also, I don't want to seem like I'm trying to take advantage of the members. If you've got any suggestions I'm all ears.
Originally Posted by loveswatching
Thanks Rambo!! I agree you should build in reasonable buffers if you are being a middle man.
You're welcome! Ok, so what's reasonable?
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Count me in for the Knize Ten, Split #2. Thanks.
I added you to the list.

bandrus1

Reaction score
Rambo- in my opinion you should build in enough buffer to give yourself X amount of the juice free. I'm not to sure how much X should be but I think if you host a split you should build in a price to give yourself at least 1 split worth for yourself for hosting

canucks

Reaction score
I just wanted to add my $0.02 in I do agree with both, but it could be tough for noobs like me who want to get into the split. I wanted to say thanks to Rambo who has been nothing but kind and great for starting this idea and having me included in the split even though i am still a noob on this forum.

loveswatching

Reaction score
You're welcome!

Ok, so what's reasonable?

lol i cant put a value on your time bro. That's something you have to decide with the splitters but i am not opposed to the idea suggested by bandrus.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loveswatching
lol i cant put a value on your time bro. That's something you have to decide with the splitters but i am not opposed to the idea suggested by bandrus.
So then who decides what's reasonable? Take this Knize split for instance. I had no idea of the popularity that it would draw. So now, instead of doling out one split and all that entails, I'm going to be doing 2. Or maybe 3 even at this rate. So how do I factor in all that time and effort? If I say to everybody "OK, there's going to be a $5 surcharge tacked on top of the shipping charges." everybody would ******* riot. People tend not to like it when you spring extra fees on them.

bandrus1

Reaction score
So then who decides what's reasonable? Take this Knize split for instance. I had no idea of the popularity that it would draw. So now, instead of doling out one split and all that entails, I'm going to be doing 2. Or maybe 3 even at this rate. So how do I factor in all that time and effort? If I say to everybody "OK, there's going to be a $5 surcharge tacked on top of the shipping charges." everybody would ******* riot. People tend not to like it when you spring extra fees on them.

Then screw um.. the don have to buy it. Truthfully I wouldn't like an extra $5 a person but i think it is reasonable

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads