• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

rire

Reaction score
I have a hard time grasping why anyone would side AGAINST Babeteeth on this obvious matter?

You gotta think that Celine's legal team took a look at it before it hit the shelves, and declared they had the right to use it.
Also decided it would be safer to take it down from the webstore after getting exposed.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Part of me agrees with this, as the logo seems very common. Although I'm definitely not a lawyer, it seems like it might be hard to make a copyright case over a design that's been used so many times in the past in different contexts.

Still, the circumstantial evidence may be argued to provide evidence of actual stealing. If I were babeteeth, and I felt like the design was legitimately stolen, I'd lawyer the **** up. I'm sure there are dozens of lawyers who would be licking their chops to take on a snooty European fashion label.

On the other hand, you gotta think that Celine's legal team took a look at it before it hit the shelves, and declared they had the right to use it. Who knows.

I don't know either but it seems really suspect, like they are trying to get publicity or something. If they had a legitimate claim they would file in court not try to hash it out on styleforum. LVMH and Hedi have done countless collaborations, they always credit the artist and also compensate them. I don't see why they wouldn't compensate babeteeth. This isn't a new Mom and Pop fashion brand, its a global powerhouse.

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I have a hard time grasping why anyone would side AGAINST Babeteeth on this obvious matter?

Also decided it would be safer to take it down from the webstore after getting exposed.

She submitted these to Celine retail employees in 2016? The Celine mouth and the Babeteeth mouth look nothing alike other than the fact that there are words inside of the mouth. The Celine design has way more teeth with gums showing and the mouth shape isn't even remotely similar.

However the Babeteeth mouth does look almost identical to the mouth designed by John Pasche.
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.11.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.13.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.17.42 PM.png

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score

It's most likely standard for the legal team to take the item in question down until the matter has been investigated. They have already posted to instagram and also here about the accusations. Hedi has a history of helping launch obscure bands and fostering artists so it just seems off is all that I am saying.

I have not even heard of Babeteeth, I am not against them.

I glued a bunch of crystals on a plastic skull for an art project in 5th grade, does that mean that I can sue Damien Hirst for his artwork For the Love of God? Are you fu@king kidding me about this?

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We tried handling this issue behind the scenes since November/December to no avail. We haven't received a response from Celine to this day. After months of frustration, we emailed someone above Hedi, popped off a little on social media and a week later the designs were pulled from their webstore and google images were scrubbed. They are still selling it through Mr. Porter on a back page. Our emails contained far more detail about topics I won't discuss because of legal reasons. If their was no issue with them using this logo why would they have a reaction in this way once we called them out.
I feel like they're straddling a grey zone where they will be safe from the court of law, but it would be easy to imagine that they wouldn't have created that design if yours didn't already exist. I am confused why they didn't change the details a little bit more to circumvent everything. They could've used a clown or dinosaur mouth and tweaked the colours a bit and they would be scot-free. To be honest, I feel like highlighting that they're not responding back to you paints them in a more guilty light. This exposes that they're aware, but are strategically avoiding the discussion.

We contacted Diet Prada, as we have several mutual acquaintances. They responded to several emails then ghosted us after they got all the details. Including photos of staff to validate our story amongst other things. Too bad because we had some good celebrity related tea in there having to do with the brands. The funny thing is we watched the people we mentioned run a month of covert but obvious PR stories trying to defend specific details of what was told to Diet Prada. It'll come out soon. They are extremely biased as they receive free gifting from top luxury that are never mentioned in a negative light and will kill their stories.
Might as well leak it here then instead of trying to give them an exclusive.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I feel like they're straddling a grey zone where they will be safe from the court of law, but it would be easy to imagine that they wouldn't have created that design if yours didn't already exist. I am confused why they didn't change the details a little bit more to circumvent everything. They could've used a clown or dinosaur mouth and tweaked the colours a bit and they would be scot-free. To be honest, I feel like highlighting that they're not responding back to you paints them in a more guilty light. This exposes that they're aware, but are strategically avoiding the discussion.

Might as well leak it here then instead of trying to give them an exclusive.

Babetteth has no case. The design is nothing like Babeteeths even if Hedi was inspired by their mouth. Had Hedi copied their mouth shape, (which isn't even exclusively theirs) made the Celine logo rainbow colored, with the teeth exactly the same, I could possibly see them claiming he copied but he didn't. The artwork on the Celine sweater is original and nothing like the mouth Babeteeth copied. Even Adobe has stock logo of lips biting words.
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 11.31.53 PM.png

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The artwork on the Celine sweater is original and nothing like the mouth Babeteeth copied.
The only thing they didn't change was the colours.
1613365203641.png

Everyone can do the all black and white version or red version with white teeth. But the yellow text is suspect when combined with other elements of the design. However, I can't see them winning in the court of law. Among laypeople, however, I can see them feeling like Hedi did a 1:1 copy, even if that's not the case when things are broken down.

What's the same:
- idea of logo neatly inside mouth with teeth and lips
- colours

What's different:
- mouth design
- gums added
- teeth design
- font
- space inside mouth for text
- no shine on lips

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
The only thing they didn't change was the colours.
View attachment 1555751

Everyone can do the all black and white version or red version with white teeth. But the yellow text is suspect when combined with other elements of the design. However, I can't see them winning in the court of law. Among laypeople, however, I can see them feeling like Hedi did a 1:1 copy, even if that's not the case when things are broken down.

What's the same:
- idea of logo neatly inside mouth with teeth and lips
- colours

What's different:
- mouth design
- gums added
- teeth design
- font
- space inside mouth for text
- no shine on lips

The gold colored was added after Hedi's, at least online

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just taking what they're saying at face value with the timeline they shared.

Personally, Hedi's version is technically brilliant in how it allows the Celine logo to pop. Nobody will glance by and not have a clear view that it is branded Celine. Babeteeth's design blends everything together so it is easy to get your eyes lost and miss the logo easier from a quick glance.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I'm just taking what they're saying at face value with the timeline they shared.

Personally, Hedi's version is technically brilliant in how it allows the Celine logo to pop. Nobody will glance by and not have a clear view that it is branded Celine. Babeteeth's design blends everything together so it is easy to get your eyes lost and miss the logo easier from a quick glance.

Seems suspect, look at the post from may 29th 2019. They've been obsessed with Hedi forever

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean. Through a quick instagram search the most recent appearance of the yellow font is post-ss21 show which was on July 29, 2020.

Sept. 22, 2020 is the oldest date I can find showing yellow text from Babeteeth.

They've been obsessed with Hedi forever.
I will always have a soft spot for Hedi fans so I can't fault them being fans.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I see what you mean. Through a quick instagram search the most recent appearance of the yellow font is post-ss21 show which was on July 29, 2020.

Sept. 22, 2020 is the oldest date I can find showing yellow text from Babeteeth.

I will always have a soft spot for Hedi fans so I can't fault them being fans.

The design isn't even theirs exclusively either

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Hedi has integrity, and although he is inspired by many things, he's not going to steal somebody's artwork. Babeteeth are trying to get their 15 mins of fame, kudos to them, I'm not trying hate on them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt