• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I recently saw a vintage version of that jacket and it was pretty dope. Never been much of a fan of the levi's stuff, more of a buddy lee but I'd be down to get something like this.

I've gone back and forth on the western collar accent, but I'm enough of a RMC fanboy that I want this one. Alternately, I've been looking for a vintage Polo Ralph Lauren suede trucker, similar to what Urbancomposition has, but no luck as of yet.

Last edited:

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the real mccoy store today actually and had a good conversation with the SA. He was talking about how slow as **** sales have been going. Either way, I tried their summer bandana print camp collar shirt and it's definitely on my list.

If it wasn't almost summer I'd also probably get a moleskin western shirt. Super dope. I didn't check out much else because I got stuck in conversation and realized that they mostly still had winter stuff. It's slowly getting warm and I don't need non of the stuff.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also get the western suede jacket if you find it, went to try a vintage one, and it looks good. Although obviously it was cut shorter than that one but stylistically it's nice.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to the real mccoy store today actually and had a good conversation with the SA. He was talking about how slow as **** sales have been going. Either way, I tried their summer bandana print camp collar shirt and it's definitely on my list.

If it wasn't almost summer I'd also probably get a moleskin western shirt. Super dope. I didn't check out much else because I got stuck in conversation and realized that they mostly still had winter stuff. It's slowly getting warm and I don't need non of the stuff.

That bandana shirt looks OK, but the 100% cymmetric pattern kills it for me. I prefer bandana stuff to be patchwork, like on Kapital and Visvim stuff.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This belongs in the Toyo thread, but I have this Sugar Cane Duke Shell shirt coming:

1615737036947.png

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd actually be curious how much they do in domestic sales versus tourist sales. I met a really cool guy (American) at the Tokyo RMC shop that worked there and he did a lot of photography for them but was also the 'tourist' SA for all of that kind of traffic since a lot of tourists would be doing larger buys.

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Japanese, but stopped by Raggedy Threads in Williamsburg and saw this bad boy. I’d buy a repro of this.

E1A3CAD6-8E37-4D00-9345-037A6D3DB7D3.jpeg

4EDE37E8-9B99-433B-8FE0-9DEBAB290D67.jpeg

SLAB

Reaction score

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That bandana shirt looks OK, but the 100% cymmetric pattern kills it for me. I prefer bandana stuff to be patchwork, like on Kapital and Visvim stuff.

I don't know, the patchwork bandana shirts are like overdone to me. Like everyone knows Kapital and visvim, however there are like seemingly 100 brands doing that same thing all over Japan. Frankly the symmetry is why I like it. More subdued than the frayed hems, vintage fabrics with various degrees of threadbare-ness. To each his own though.

As far as domestic sales/tourists sales, I will say Japanese salaries aren't that high so I can't imagine people out here buying crap like this a lot. Frankly it feels mad expensive when you look at how much money you make. Especially since people salaries are usually dependent on these bonuses, which sadly not many will be getting in a place like Kyoto since it's so tourism focused, so there goes like 2 paychecks you won't get. Maybe Tokyo store is doing way better though.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, the patchwork bandana shirts are like overdone to me. Like everyone knows Kapital and visvim, however there are like seemingly 100 brands doing that same thing all over Japan. Frankly the symmetry is why I like it. More subdued than the frayed hems, vintage fabrics with various degrees of threadbare-ness. To each his own though.

As far as domestic sales/tourists sales, I will say Japanese salaries aren't that high so I can't imagine people out here buying crap like this a lot. Frankly it feels mad expensive when you look at how much money you make. Especially since people salaries are usually dependent on these bonuses, which sadly not many will be getting in a place like Kyoto since it's so tourism focused, so there goes like 2 paychecks you won't get. Maybe Tokyo store is doing way better though.

Yeah, different strokes for different folks, of course. I am not at all hostile or sensitive to stuff being "overdone", "hyped", "played out" or whatever. I just want to wear stuff that I like, even if it might be hyped or whatever. It's really that plain and simple to me. As I said in another thread: clothes are fun and wearing clothes is fun. To me, it's really not more complicated than that. Different versions of normative hierarchies of clothes just takes the fun out it and makes a passion project into something more like contest...

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah, That got deep all of a sudden, I don't even know what normative hierarchies means.

I don't think Kapital or Visvim are played out, far from it. Seriously I'm sitting in full Kapital right now. Just that here in japan there are like so many copy cat brands that even wearing the big boys doesn't seem as appealing as they did back in America/Mexico. Although I've seen some cool **** from smaller brands they tend to sit around forever in second hand shops. They just priced too dang highhhhhhh.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woah, That got deep all of a sudden, I don't even know what normative hierarchies means.

I don't think Kapital or Visvim are played out, far from it. Seriously I'm sitting in full Kapital right now. Just that here in japan there are like so many copy cat brands that even wearing the big boys doesn't seem as appealing as they did back in America/Mexico. Although I've seen some cool **** from smaller brands they tend to sit around forever in second hand shops. They just priced too dang highhhhhhh.

lol sorry buddy. I think we agree with each other. Much love!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics