• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d post this in case anyone was interested, I would give you a discount after I calculate the shipping (basically whatever I would pay in eBay fees). So probably $260 and w/e shipping costs. Style 556 20 Pocket Vest.

44AF2D0C-4074-4AEF-8581-83EA4849DAFE.jpeg

This is one of those rare finds I love to experience. I bought it for work to carry my building measurement devices, but going a different route that I will share once it arrives. It’s equally unconventional as it is cool :fonz:.

2A36A6D9-6EE8-4E3F-A483-0ADBABE2C653.jpeg

Build Date 0906!!! That means this is most likely a First Edition and the earliest version I have seen so far. @GzStudio or @TinMan3 do either of you know when Filson officially launched these? The cowhide leather mittens are a new purchase and will be shared soon as they are Uber cool. There are two pockets large enough to swallow up a full size IPAD with a beefy case. Like the Cruisers, they are both the full length of either side.

00568B3A-0015-4F6D-830E-3754B30B68A7.jpeg

The previous owner must’ve removed the tags with the intent on wearing it, but that day never came. This is probably newer then my 1960 Style 16 Forestry Cruiser.

7475C51A-DB8C-4227-B83E-8813473EF2FB.jpeg

Last edited:

arnoldnashwel

Reaction score
Lets make a thread to use to compare the different Filson Bags in their different colors. This way you don't have to do multiple google searches to see whats up and compare. SO PLEASE PUT PICTURES UP OF YOUR FILSON BAGS SO WE CAN SEE THE COLORS/MODELS/POTENTIAL PATINA AND WEAR. THANKS! My dad uses filson bags for lugging around fishing gear. Honestly before I joined styleforum I didn't even know filson made other bags for anything else except for hunting outdoorsman activities. I used to wonder why he'd spend money on those "ugly green tote bags"... lol Thanks to Styleforum now I know that Filson even makes briefcases and travel bags so I ended up buying a 257 large briefcase in brown. Honestly this bag is large enough to travel with (can fit your travel crap and a change of clothes with a laptop). I'll probably end up getting another filson, the 256, to use as an everyday briefcase.
3821595546_cb8bf50d1f.jpg
3820791173_b850e89227.jpg
Natural light brown: notice how the brown is a little monotone with the leather. I like this for a travel bag... but I'll probably end up getting the tan (which has a nice contrast with the leather) for a regular 256 briefcase for regular work use.
3821609340_d16c908aeb.jpg
3820785721_73dd090885.jpg
3821591972_5de3d76a37.jpg
The inside has 3 flaps for organizing with lots of small pockets (some "pockets" actually are hollow through to the bottom). Here there is a macbook (13" computer) bare, with a thick laptop sleeve, and with a huge 7lbs book. I figure the book would represent a change of clothes, dopp kit, and some shoes.
3820794109_efca571c60.jpg
3821605780_feb3e60134.jpg
3821608032_e7c8570093.jpg
take note: the macbook with thick sleeve was actually a tight fit. I would use a sleeve with a computer because the huge/robust brass teeth of the zipper would be a scratch danger. Inside the bag they actually include a small padlock engraved with filson logo. Nice touch.
3820783773_3cbb26a64f.jpg
After sifting through so many of the threads about filson bags (i.e. which one should i get 256 or 257) I recommend the 257 for those who are going to use it to lug a larger computer (anything bigger than 13"). Also those who plan to bring a lot of stuff: papers/large books/tons of photo lenses ect. This is also a great bag for traveling (and for lugging around a change of clothes. For those who plan to use it as a simple briefcase/day bag and don't want the option of hauling more stuff stick with the 256. Hopefully the brown will wear in well and look even better (like those old green filsons which aren't so "ugly" to me anymore).
I noticed that we have a whole collection here, from the classic 256 and 257 briefcases to more niche bags and duffels. I got myself a 257 in tan, and let's just say it quickly became my go-to bag for everything from commuting to impromptu fishing trips. Who would have thought that with a bag you could feel like Indiana Jones in the boardroom?
Speaking of adventures, has anyone else found unexpected ways to use their Filson bag? I swear, the other day I almost used my bag as a makeshift pillow during a flight delay. And for those of you who have been part of the Filson family for years, any tips on how to achieve the desired patina without looking like I dragged it through the mud? Or is this exactly what I should be doing?

jck22903

Reaction score
Can anyone help me to compare the Small Pullman Bag, the older style "Large" Pullman Bag (243), and the Ripstop Pullman? I currently own the 243 and the Ripstop bags; the former is too big for most of my travel needs, and the Ripstop is great for unchecked airline luggage but frankly my vanity dictates a preference for the look and feel of the canvas goods, and if the Small Pullman is close in size to the Ripstop then I'd likely look for one of those.

FWIW, I've been through this thread a number of times over the years (it's quite a reference!) and the most pertinent reference to this subject can be found here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures.133759/page-933#post-9613283

Thanks everyone. Sorry to see that this thread has dwindled a bit over the last few years.

WJR

Reaction score
I’m one less Otter Green. Sold my YKK First Edition 258 to a very fortunate buyer out in Colorado. However I gained two new Filson Ultralight Vests (own 4 now). Honestly I think they are as good as it gets when it comes to Garments, and there’s not even a thread of any of the classic Filson materials.

Colors are Dark Tan/Pale Olive and Black/Olive Gray. Both are going to pair nicely with a Stetson Fedora I’m looking to acquire soon.

View attachment 2120485
Hate to hear that the 258 sold. That was for sure a fine specimen. Love the chesnut leather color. Understandable about not making it a range bag. Still think that is a good application for a 258 just not that one.

Also a fan of the Ultralight vests now with 2 of my own, blue variants each.

WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to hear that the 258 sold. That was for sure a fine specimen. Love the chesnut leather color. Understandable about not making it a range bag. Still think that is a good application for a 258 just not that one.

Also a fan of the Ultralight vests now with 2 of my own, blue variants each.

WJR

I agree, it was a tough one to part ways with but it was also preventing me from using my 257, my first ever Talon Era bag and one that kicked off my time here with you fine fellows. I’ll never sell that one, that much I know. It’s going to a better home and the funds will help secure a grail Filson for me.

Awesome to hear about the Ultralights, what size did you end with? I’m updating my sizes to Large from Medium. Like all Filson’s they do run larger but I find myself appreciating the extra room. Still searching for my 5th and final version; the Captains Blue. I have this one in Medium. This is one of the hardest colors to find. Love the carnivorous stash pockets in the interior. Gotta wait till the 20 Pocket Vest sells first. I’m wearing my Otter Green version as I type this.

64F1D35B-9BE2-4467-BDB8-7815C24E091B.png

Last edited:

WJR

Reaction score
Awesome to hear about the Ultralights, what size did you end with? I’m updating my sizes to Large from Medium. Like all Filson’s they do run larger but I find myself appreciating the extra room. Still searching for my 5th and final version; the Captains Blue. I have this one in Medium. This is one of the hardest colors to find. Love the carnivorous stash pockets in the interior. Gotta wait till the 20 Pocket Vest sells first. I’m wearing my Otter Green version as I type this.
At 6’1” and north of 250 I am squarely in an XXL at the present time. Had a few minor surgeries that have me off track but when I get back to a better exercise routine I will appreciate the roominess for layering purposes. I have the captain‘s blue you mentioned and the BlueCoal. Very tempted by the Ironwood but concerned too orange for my taste.

WJR

Reaction score
I am not much of an awards show watcher. Sunday night my wife was watching the Grammys and wanted me to come see the duet of Tracey Chapman and Luke Combs singing Fast Car. She hit rewind to before the duet and the tv was stopped on a still of Luke Combs during an interview. Lo and behold he was wearing a Filson Ultralight Jacket, the Dark tan one. So of course I get all excited pointing to the Filson label on the front.

just thought I would share and ask if anyone else happened to see that or any other recent celebrity Filson sightings.

WJR

originalhype

Reaction score
Latest addition to the family. A tan 257 YKK build date of May 2007 and only $66 shipped. Great shape, worst wear is on the shoulder strap with a few cracks in the leather. Freshly conditioned and buffed. Ready for this weeks rotation. View attachment 2125249 View attachment 2125251 View attachment 2125253 View attachment 2125255
Wow, great buy. IN this modern times of ours, size of the the briefcase 257 is a must. There is only so much you cna put in the smaller 256 but the 257 is perfect these days.

originalhype

Reaction score
I loved that bag, especially going home for the weekend. I sold it because i didn’t need two briefcases. I originally bought the 258 to use as a Range Bag, but later decided I couldn’t bring myself to expose something so perfect to hot brass ejections and the foul smells of firing ranges.

Since I have a dedicated Filson tote for my cigar shop, I’m going to repurpose the Java GR1 for the range, since it’s been doing nothing but sitting in the corner of my study for the past year.

The money I got from the sale is going towards a OG Talon XL Duffel; a trunk bag for my new car. This one is probably going to be my most challenging find, even more then the Pullman. It would also be my very first Filson Duffel.

View attachment 2120825
That size a body bag, So what kind of parts are you putting in there?

...for research purposes.

TheJonaz

Reaction score
Latest addition to the family. A tan 257 YKK build date of May 2007 and only $66 shipped. Great shape, worst wear is on the shoulder strap with a few cracks in the leather. Freshly conditioned and buffed. Ready for this weeks rotation.

Nice bag, is this an ebay find ?

I've seen this on ebay this week, that reminded me of OtterMeanGreen YKK bag, 500$ for and the leather is looking awful : https://www.ebay.com/itm/355454446238?hash=item52c2bc6a9e:g:rFsAAOSwYGVlx74~
I'm curious how much you sold it for ?

TheRolls321

Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That size a body bag, So what kind of parts are you putting in there?

...for research purposes.

The non living kind of parts…

Tire Inflator, spare wool blend blanket, Empty backpack, Jumper cables, MRE’s, spare change of clothes, IFAK, Dopp. Rain jacket, car reflector triangles, fire starter kit, Buck 110 Knife. And anything else I forgot or ideas for inspiration :fonz:

Would like to have it against the back wall of my trunk so that nothing shows.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pulled this out of retirement. This 2014 or 2015 Heavy Tin Tote off the garage floor for years with some ropes and equipment in it. Hosed it off and it became my new bag for car trips or walking around in the city. The stiffness and ‘open’ bucket form is great for quick access. I use its cousin the zip tote for air travel. The heavy tin tote was $110 back in the day.
IMG_8114.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads